Tips on going pro

Tones

Premium Donor
- Learn to hold on REACTION rather than PREDICTION. (this is easier said than done and takes time)
Yes and no. It's okay to eliminate the most likely option. If they like to combo extend why yes I will spam (high) counter holds (if they are baiting for throws, low counter). Another situation are pokes from long range, most characters only have 1-3 decent attacking options.

- Do NOT restrict your focus on your actions alone. Focus on your opponents actions as well.
Only if you wish to learn. In a tournament setting, you should just do what you do until something stops working out in your favour. React by changing the tool that's not working for you. Until you're at a higher level of play you should focus on yourself. When you just do what you do without thinking with perfect timing, spacing, etc, then you can start looking at what your opponent is doing.

Play your game, not theirs. You playing your game is stronger because you've spent more time with it.

Online-offline just make sure you are supporting the scene. Competing in an tourney is worth more Kudos than just playing online. More Kudos to those that travel.

There is a lot of heat to the online-offline topic.... Welcome to DOA.

d3v

More on attending tournaments even if you suck from a well known community member over at SRK/Skullheart.
DaRabidDuckie said:
I suck too. I know how much it sucks. Showing up to tournaments is the fastest and most reliable way to get better at a game, though. You just show up, get your ass kicked, and get better at a game just from seeing first-hand what other people do. That line from the Matrix about not knowing a person until you fight them? It's totally true. There's something amazing about actually being there that you'll never get from watching a stream.

Going to tournaments also has an unexpected side effect: It gets you seriously on fire for the game, and makes you so hungry that you're wanting to play it all the time just so you win more.

In short, you shouldn't be avoiding tournaments because you suck, you should be running TO them because you want to get better!
Underlined the two most important bits.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
- When you differentiate stuns better, learn when to Slow Escape and when to Hold ...
I know that the popular stuns to slow escape are the sit down, stumbles, etc, but I find that if people are hesitant on their next strike that slow escaping at all times is an advantage. I'll tend to hold more against opponents that don't stall their strings.

I would like to know your opinion on what you should and shouldn't slow escape on. I wouldn't mind learning a few new things.

Brawl Junkie13

Honestly the few actual online matches that i've played so far have already increased my hunger for the game. However i do think you're all right about me going out into the community offline and finding people. its just kinda hard to do that when DOA ( and i could be wrong) isnt really that mainstream in the fighting game scene compared to tekken or street fighter ( again i could be wrong)

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
i do think you're all right about me going out into the community offline and finding people. its just kinda hard to do that when DOA ( and i could be wrong) isnt really that mainstream in the fighting game scene compared to tekken or street fighter ( again i could be wrong)

You're right. DOA is very underplayed compared to other fighters. Plus, you live in Florida. Not a whole lot of anything going on down here in God's Waiting Room.

Gill Hustle

Honestly the few actual online matches that i've played so far have already increased my hunger for the game. However i do think you're all right about me going out into the community offline and finding people. its just kinda hard to do that when DOA ( and i could be wrong) isnt really that mainstream in the fighting game scene compared to tekken or street fighter ( again i could be wrong)

Protips:

1. Bring your OWN setup (monitor, system, game) Lord knows there on't be one for you.

2. Not required but if your proficient in another fighter, getting people to play with you can be alot easier.

3. Do NOT disrespect other titles. If you want people to play your game, interest even if it's not totally sincere can open doors.

I know how to play pretty much anything, but my strongest games besides DOA5 are UMVC, TTT2, and SFxT.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I know that the popular stuns to slow escape are the sit down, stumbles, etc, but I find that if people are hesitant on their next strike that slow escaping at all times is an advantage. I'll tend to hold more against opponents that don't stall their strings.

I would like to know your opinion on what you should and shouldn't slow escape on. I wouldn't mind learning a few new things.

Well I agree, Slow escaping is usually the ideal option... most of the time..

However, there are stuns you CANNOT STAGGER ESCAPE from, these are mainly any stun that sends you to the ground. Theres the "I have cramps stun" (like Hayabusa's (counter) P+K) .. and the "I think I'm Dizzy" stun (like Hayate's 7P). In these situations slow escaping doesn't work, unless you hold, you will eat that CB or launcher or whatever.

Another case is when a stun is STAGGER ESCAPABLE but even with stagger escape the amount of negative frames is way too high for you to escape the next hit even on fastest stagger escape.. You see this in a lot with "Lift stuns".. I personally like to throw in lift stuns and even wait for my opponents reaction because you actually DO have that much time.. even for a CB in some cases..

In those 2 variations of stun .. holding is a slightly better option. but as a defender you are still gambling to become vulnerable to a Hi Counter Throw, or even to baited out and punished on the recovery frames of your HOLD in STUN (something I personally enjoy a lot) .. so .. the term "better" is relative .. you have to weigh your options and understand how the opponent functions as well.. the beauty of this game is that you cant just autopilot your attacks and you have to look at what your oppnents doing (until you earn the guaranteed situation by launcher or guaranteed stun obvously).

I hope this makes some sense :)

Julius Rage

Julius Rage's tips on going pro.

• Smoke weed
  • Write checks your ass can't cash.
  • Lose money match, after money match and claim to be a genetic anomly incapable of losing when it counts.
  • Lose when it counts
  • Pretend like you learned something important from the loss and assert that you'll come back stronger.
  • Hang out with CXThomas (Hes got alcohol in his car. . .a LOT of alcohol.)
  • Be a jackass.
Follow those 7 tenants and you'll be getting it like me.

d3v

Julius Rage's tips on going pro.

• Smoke weed
  • Write checks your ass can't cash.
  • Lose money match, after money match and claim to be a genetic anomly incapable of losing when it counts.
  • Lose when it counts
  • Pretend like you learned something important from the loss and assert that you'll come back stronger.
  • Hang out with CXThomas (Hes got alcohol in his car. . .a LOT of alcohol.)
  • Be a jackass.
Follow those 7 tenants and you'll be getting it like me.
Change some of the details a bit, add "rig a GGXX tournament and kills the scene" and end with "move to LOL" and you've got a guide to becoming Marn.

FakeSypha

Just chiming in ...

While going to tournaments has high value in learning and progressing in a game, I wouldn't call it a "first step". If anything is a "first step" (particularly in regard to offline play), it would be finding local players and planning regular meetups with them. THEN, you can make plans to go to tournaments AS A GROUP, which would make the whole experience that much more beneficial since you'll have MULTIPLE players learning things that they can later bring into future meetups so the group can progress together.
QFT.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
1. Go into training mode and learn how to play the game.(The basics, character move list, details..etc).
2. Find a local offline scene so you can form practice buddies who also can possibly give you tips.
3. Attend offline tournaments.(This way you gain experiences from high level players through casuals/and the tournament itself).

Bushido

Learn your character in and out and don't switch unless you're 1000% positive you want to play the other character.

d3v

Some Skisonic wisdom from UFGT9.
"The tournament comes when the tournament comes."

Meaning that you can't always think that you'll be able to go to tournaments with the best preparation and the best training all the time. In other words, just go with what you've got and try your best.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD