Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Offline may be a different environment but online is still better than fighting input-reading AI hacker BS! That's just a waste of time.

In my experience, I actually find fighting the Level 8 AI more productive than fighting a spammy, mindless buttonmasher in laggy clusterfucks of matches. I'm telling you right now that playing online is in no way reflective of offline DOA play. You'll see it when we play. Any online tactics will be weeded out quickly (it's also the reason why I can't take most online matches posted seriously. Too much shit hits that shouldn't be hitting against a semi-decent opponent).

D3taylz

In my experience, I actually find fighting the Level 8 AI more productive than fighting a spammy, mindless buttonmasher in laggy clusterfucks of matches. ...Too much shit hits that shouldn't be hitting against a semi-decent opponent).
I agree with you about fighting button mashers and spammers, that's not gonna help you improve. But surely a match between 2 high level players (rated U, or Ruby or above even) with a good connection is not completely redundant just because it's online, or is at the very least better than fighting an AI which has a reaction time which is virtually impossible for a human to duplicate, and reads your inputs to undermine your mix-ups at every turn.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Online ranks don't mean anything so it doesn't matter. You're just as likely to beat or be bodied by a "Ruby" Rank or an F Rank. It doesn't matter how "high level" a player is online, it's impossible to play the game in a legitimate fashion online. Even in a "good" connection, the matches are still nowhere close to simulating an offline match. Don't underestimate how much even the slightest amount of lag fucks over DOA5U's gameplay. Movement gets screwed over big time for example and you can't react to stuff like you're supposed to. In short, online matches are never legitimate ever. Doesn't matter which two players are involved and thus doesn't mean anything if you're able to beat someone like SonicFox or Mr. Kwiggle online.

I admit that 5U's Level 8 AI can still be pretty ass, but it at least somewhat plays the game legitimately. It does tend to hold on reaction a fair bit, but from what I've seen it doesn't hold you any faster than someone like SweetRevenge or XcaliburBladeZ could hold you. The AI attempts to simulate how the game is played at a high level in Japan (in terms of fundamentals), although I wish the AI would use slightly more advanced tech and wouldn't keep falling for CB setups. If you were to play a "high" level player offline, they'd easily hold you just as much as the AI does. So IMHO, I'd rather fight the Level 8 AI then engage in a nonsensical laggy clusterfuck of a match online.

However, both situations pale in comparison to a legit offline match by a long shot.

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
It's pretty much the only Sunday I'm gunna have free for awhile, however I am open to this Saturday too if that would be any better.

D3taylz

It's pretty much the only Sunday I'm gunna have free for awhile, however I am open to this Saturday too if that would be any better.
True. Saturday is no good, Im booked all day. Sunday might be possible but I wont know until the day before most likely, so we'll need to wait to solidify any plans. If we can do it though what time would be ideal to meet up?

RoboJoe

I may or may not be able to come to the tournament this Sunday depending on when it starts. I'm going to be busy all morning and would not be able to arrive until 2:00 - 2:30pm or so.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
We usually delay the start time a fair bit if need be. We've started after 3:30 PM before. Though stream time may come into question though for later starts.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
There's usually a fair degree of flexibility, but yeah, it can screw up the stream schedule. You've been pretty good for tournaments in the past and I wanna see your Akira on stream =P!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD