Uncounterable throw after tech

shinryu

So don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but I hadn't known about this: it looks like it's possible to throw someone after they've teched without them having an opportunity to be able to strike out of the throw. I've tried two setups on Kasumi and Jann Lee with both Helena and Tina and they've both worked; the timing is not too hard but you have to be a little precise. Set the CPU to recover and respond with high punch.

With Tina, use f+k 6pp6k then walk up and throw after the tech.
With Helena, use 9k 6kk and then BKO throw after the tech.

The timing should catch them very slightly after they become vertical. If done correctly, their attack won't even come out before the throw connects. This isn't guaranteed as they can crouch out of the tech but basically they have to pick crouch or get thrown; done correctly, there's no risk of anything that's not a crouch attack hitting you as best I can tell; even tech crouching attacks The throw doesn't matter; I have gotten JO Cyclone to work and the BKO throw for Helena is obviously a nasty extra little bit of vortex for her. The way out of this is of course don't tech, but with pseudo set ups I think this could be a very nasty tool for what looks like the entire cast. This doesn't seem to work on a force tech at all, at least not with any of Tina's set ups. Nonetheless, if you anticipate a tech you have a much less risky mid/throw mixup available provided the throw is timed right. Could be very nasty.

shinryu

I'll see if I can do something tonight, but if you have a chance to run it on your own in the meantime it's not a hard setup to test. I think the the Helena one is easier since her throw animation steps forward a bit and is a bit longer, but as I said I've managed to get it to work on all the test situations that I've tried. I wouldn't say this is 100% reliable for me yet but once I have the timing in a groove it comes out about 80%.

If someone can test this vs. a human, too, that'd be great. This could just be a training mode oddity, but if the CPU can't get out of it I tend to think it's legit.

Nereus

Standard Donor
i don't know what's worse... getting hit with this or getting hit w/ a 50/50 d-gunner/mid mixup after force tech haha

shinryu

Yeah, you're doubly screwed if this works against people with good OH options; either you get force teched and get to decide OH vs. mid or you tech yourself and get to decide throw vs. mid. At least okizeme's not boring now.

dawnbringer

This thing works, however it has very strict timing. Very risky, since failure to do it correctly may be heavily punished with Hi Counter.

Allan Paris

By TN increasing the damn speed on Kasumi's 33H+P I can no longer set mine up anymore with that throw. I am still working on some with her.

Legend

What was the timing back then?
The timing was dependent on the throw you wanted to use as a tech trap. For example using Hayate, Set recovery to on, com reaction to strike, (low strikes will crush the throw obviously)

Example 1: 9kk on NH, opponent techs, Hayate is at +12. (We all know the frame data is off so no need for specifics.)

Example 2: HCF H+P, 9k, PPP, opponent techs, Hayate is at +12.

+12 will guarantee his 6 P+K H+P. (teching backwards doesn't stop him from connecting with the grab.)

Sometimes setups require you to whiff in order to land specific throws. In those cases your frame advantage is reset to 0.

Example 3: 8k on CH,PPP, opponent techs, Hayate is at +17. If you whiff PP after the initial PPP string, the frame counter resets to 0, however he can land his 12 frame throw. Teching backwards will prevent the throw from connecting in this situation.

Most setups will be weight specific.

RhythmikDesigns

Not sure if this is something that is known, but while testing this out (assuming that this is correct in training, who really knows whats correct in training nowadays) I'm pretty the dummy is attack fast out of force tech than it can out of a ground tech.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD