Utilizing Bass' BT game

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
So I've been toying with something lately to try and see if I can get Bass' BT game a bit more viable.

I noticed that on an opponent who is in critical, Bass' :6::P+K: will stun longer than if on NH or on an opponent who is not in critical. If the stun is not stagger escaped then he can do BT :4::K: which causes sit-down into :3::3::P: for any counter hit or hit in critical.

I find this an interesting tool but needs more practice. As of right now, the theory is (1) You're using a high in critical which for Bass doesn't generally happen, (2) You can back-dash away if the opponent low held the :6::P+K:, (3) If the opponent is stagger escaping the stun you can do BT :H+P: for +21 frame throw (free launcher) or risk doing a :236::P::5::H+P: grizzly, (4) If the opponent starts trying to hold the BT :4::K: then you can get the same BT :H+P:, and (5) if the opponent starts attacking out of the stun to beat the throw you could either BT :4::K: or BT :7::K: to launch or sit-down > launch.

In (5)'s case, BT :4::K: is probably the better option in most cases.

Thoughts?

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Last time I played the game was about two months ago, so some of this info may be wrong or outdated, but I've tested most of these before.

I find it useful to mix-up between :4::K: and :1::K: after :6::6::K: thanks to the frame advantage. :h::+::P: and :4::P: are your tracking moves in those situations. :1::K: should cause a trip stun unless the opponent buffer in a back dash.

While :3_::P::+::K: may be a slow shitty move, it leaves you closer to your opponent and puts them into lift stun and you can combo it into :7::K: > :9::P::K::P: > :2::h::+::P: for all characters, I think. You should still test it against heavies just in case. Another advantage of this move is it's GB feature, so it pressures some people to act, usually with holds.

I find it useful to use backturned :4::P::+::K: against characters like Ayane in case they jump over you. Usuallym if you react quick enough, she'll still be in recovery and end up getting hit.

Also, as a follow-up to :6::6::K: against a wall, you can use :P::P::K: as it's fast enough to hit lights and mids and the :K: hitbox is deceptively big. I'm not sure if it works on heavies, so it's worth testing. Pretty much your most damaging option after :6::6::K: wall splat.

Scornwell

L

While :3_::P::+::K: may be a slow shitty move, it leaves you closer to your opponent and puts them into lift stun and you can combo it into :7::K: > :9::P::K::P: > :2::h::+::P: for all characters, I think. You should still test it against heavies just in case. Another advantage of this move is it's GB feature, so it pressures some people to act, usually with holds.
I used to this this strike was much worse than I do now, but it's still a little too situational for me to just throw out.
Alright, the 7K works in stun up to a medium amount of SEing. If your opponent tries to SE out and strike you out of BT, you instead get that awesome CH 7K which launches even higher. Bad part is that the combo you listed only works on lights, and with CH 7K.
Good news is that you can instead use 6KK to get a guaranteed +21 force tech on lights. So that's something nice.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Now I wonder why I didn't think of that.

Okay, well here's my contribution:

:214::h::+::P: > :4::h::+::P: > :6::P::K: > :6::K::P:

I couldn't hold out of the :K: when backturned, so I presume both hits his and it works on all characters.

edit: I guess it doesn't work then.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Yes, but keep in mind that guarding happens on the 0 frame. So you have a +11 advantage and are doing a 15 frame attack which hits on the 16th frame, that's 5 frames which means on the 5th frame they're guarding.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
no, because unlike bayman, you aren't able to land a throw during that throw advantage.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Well, I can confirm that :P::P::K: works on all characters after any wall-splat that leaves you in back-turned and in my opinion in the most damaging option in that situation.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Well, I can confirm that :P::P::K: works on all characters after any wall-splat that leaves you in back-turned and in my opinion in the most damaging option in that situation.

Clarify for me please: Are you saying that if you knock an opponent into the wall and you are being left in BT, that the most damaging option is :P::P::K:?

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Yes, sorry if I wasn't being clear, but that is his most damaging option and it always hits after :6::6::K: and :6::P::+::K:. The only exception to the rule is :4::P::+::K:. Works on all characters.

Scornwell

On your suggestion, I finally got around to playing with BT and I will agree that it is quite viable. Here's what I discovered in my testing. Get ready for a wall of text...

What's the best way to get Bass BT? Bass has 3 options:
:6: :P+K: (19i high, +8 on NH, +18 on CH/HCH, -9 on Block. Tracking)
At 19i, 6P+K is one of Bass's slower strikes. At neutral, almost every strike your opponent has will beat 19i. On block, -9 is throw punishable by anybody. And to make matters worse, the +8 on NH doesn't give Bass enough time to strike with anything without the fear of getting blocked, meaning that you want this strike to be a counter hit as many times as possible. How can Bass go about getting 6P+K on CH reliably, you ask? Here's some ideas:
  • :6::H+P: (6i throw, +10 on connect) is the best answer. 6P+K covers the distance after the headbutt and is fast enough to catch an opponent that tries to back away. The +10 means that Bass will stuff any non-crushing strike, even a 9i jab.
  • :6::K: (14i, +14 on NH/CH/HCH, -10 on Block) is Bass's better SS strike in my opinion. Using 6P+K will beat a SS or anything an opponent tries to strike you with sans a low hold/crush. As a mixup against low holders or crushers, 3K will give you that lovely 33P launch. 66T is an alternative to 6P+K.
  • :9::P: (17i, +10 on CH, +20 on HCH, -9 on Block) gives you a +10 most of the time when landed, which by itself beats any strike except crushes. Use (9P)P as a mixup against low holders to nab that +20 sitdown stun.
  • :9::P::K: (10i after 9P, +14 on NH/CH/HCH, -10 on block) is very similar to 6K, except for the fact that it has two follow ups an opponent will be expecting: (9PK)P or (9PK)2P, making the chances of a low hold reaction even higher.
  • Lastly, :3::P:, :P+K:, :7::P:,etc. are all strikes that give a large enough stun (+21 and up) to follow with 6P+K with +18 stun.
:6::6::K: and :3_::P+K: are so specific that I'd advice against them in almost every scenario. If you're still interested in them, here's some info:
:6::6::K:(18i mid K, Knockback on NH,CH,HCH, +3 GB on block) is Bass's strongest strike at 54DMG on close hit. However, the knockback prevents anything but wall juggles from BT. Even on a successful guard break, Bass only has +3 to work with, meaning that your best option is to step away or crush with 2P or 2K.

:3_::P+K:(24i High, +24 on NH/CH/HCH, -5 GB on block) is one of Bass's rare crush attacks that can really surprise an opponent due to it's range, but only works in very specific scenarios; DOA5's buffering system only allows you to buffer this strike after certain other ones. Those strikes are as follows:
  • :2::P: on CH/BT:2::P: on CH. These strikes on BT push the opponent away and leave Bass at +8. Against an opponent that has no options at that range, 33P+K usually lands.
  • :1::P: gives +12, enough time to safely land a 33P+K against most strikes.
  • :2::K: on CH /BT:2::K: on NH. The stun from these strikes is more than enough to stuff any other attack, but you have to pay close attention to if they land on NH or CH.
Hope this helps someone. As a bonus, here's some example BT combo info:
Against a lightweight:
6P+K (BT)4K 33P 3P 6KK deals 96DMG and gives Bass a +21 force tech if 6P+K is a CH.
6P+K (BT)4K 41236T(T) deals 119 DMG with potential for wall splat.
Add 50DMG from 6T and you got yourself a half-life DMG combo, son.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I figured that :214::P: guarantees an air-:h::+::P: on all BT opponents. Not much, but it's something you guys might want to keep in mind. It's not guaranteed after the BT throw either since it's i27 and the throw put you at +21, but it's just something to use if you feel like gambling.

Scornwell

I figured that :214::P: guarantees an air-:h::+::P: on all BT opponents. Not much, but it's something you guys might want to keep in mind. It's not guaranteed after the BT throw either since it's i27 and the throw put you at +21, but it's just something to use if you feel like gambling.
I've had some degree of success with 214P as a ranged poke against characters like Ayane and Lisa when they attempt to BT maneuover towards or away from you.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD