What Character Is Right For Me?(DOA5)

DCShinobi

I am somewhat new to DOA, but not 3D fighting games. I want to know what character is right for me?
I prefer someone with traits such as...
- Fast and easy combos (they don't have to be overly powerful, but fast enough to where I can chain my attacks.)
- Can counter fairly easy
- Higher speed
- Higher strike
- Fair amount of power

So far I've been using Mila (Madly in love with her) if you think she fits those qualities, then please give me some advice on how to use her, what combos to use, and what I should watch out for. The only characters I am not interested in are the characters that come with the ultimate version. I also prefer to stay away from Heavyweights such as Bass (just not my style.) If you think you know a better character that would better suit me, please let me know! Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this ^-^
:mila:

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Lars Alexanderson AKA Christie. Anyone who claims she's difficult is probably playing with one hand.

Otherwise stick to Milan in the long run but be prepared to dedicate yourself to becoming fully comfortable with her. After all, you either want to be a sore winner and play a high tier character or a solid character whom you'd enjoy and stick to in the long run.

Intelligent Alpha

In addition to taking suggestions here, try out other characters as there may be more than christie who fit that description. Furthermore, you may develop your own style to where she may or may not fit. So, yeah, it's not only a question of: "What can this character do, but what do I like to do?" I've taken two and play them fairly atypically despite what they were tailored to do. IOW, I've made them fit me - not the other way around.

Last edited:

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Jann Lee is cool. Worth picking up and I'm surprised I haven't seen people play him anymore, which is kind of surprising since he was pretty popular when DOA5 first came out.

DCShinobi

Jann Lee is cool. Worth picking up and I'm surprised I haven't seen people play him anymore, which is kind of surprising since he was pretty popular when DOA5 first came out.
I picked up Ayane, she seems to be good so far. I'll definitely give Jan Lee a try (he reminds me a lot of Marshall Law from Tekken!)

DCShinobi

I would have suggested Leifang :leifang:.

She's fast, has powerful counters (and advanced counters), short combos (?). But if you're liking Ayane, then that's cool ^^.
So far I've liked using Mila, Hayabusa, Ayane, and Lisa. Still trying to figure out Jan Lee, next is Leifang. I've come to hate a few characters such as Gen Fu, Kokoro, and Brad Wong ( They're all so fast that I'm afraid to get up from a knock down!) Any advice on dealing with these three fighters? Also, I'm trying to unlock ALPHA-152, is she even worth it though?

:mila::hayabusa::ayane::lisa::jannlee::leifang: So many good characters!

Or use them in a tandem!
That's a good idea, I'm try to form a small little group I can use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Intelligent Alpha

So far I've liked using Mila, Hayabusa, Ayane, and Lisa. Still trying to figure out Jan Lee, next is Leifang. I've come to hate a few characters such as Gen Fu, Kokoro, and Brad Wong ( They're all so fast that I'm afraid to get up from a knock down!) Any advice on dealing with these three fighters? Also, I'm trying to unlock ALPHA-152, is she even worth it though?

The biggest thing that will save you against everybody is being patient! Now, is Alpha worth it? Given how easy it is to beat her? No. Dash + Mash, Combo-whoring, Wall-screwing, you're gonna have to put up with all of this shit! Believe me! However, if you are smart and not reckless aka PATIENT with her, then, yeah, she is! But it's up to you if you wanna take that risk! The reward is wonderful though!

But yeah every character is pretty good! Just find which one that fits you!

JKT

Unfortunately I really don't think I'm in the right position to be giving advice to you because I don't think I'm any good with this game XD. I really need to step up my game if I were to give you advice :). However, I CAN direct you to the right information :).

Regarding wakeup and recovery, check out this video by @EMPEROR_COW :
- In fact, if you need other general info on how to play DOA5 well, do check out his other videos. There's also combo videos too for the characters you enjoy playing ^^!

About how to deal with Gen Fu, Kokoro and Brad Wong, I'll link some people who I believe main these characters to this thread. I hope they would be willing and able to give you the advice you need! Sorry I can't really be much help since I know little matchup experience on these characters (or anyone for that matter XD)

Gen Fu: @SweetRevenge117
Kokoro: @Bushido (here's a in-depth guide where they commented on some of Kokoro's cons: http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/like-the-water-like-the-sky-kokoro-doa5u-breakdown-guide.3358/)
Brad Wong: @Squizzo @Patrick Wimmer

(I hope everyone here doesn't mind me tagging them in this random manner. Apologies, but I know you'd be better at advice giving than myself.)

About Alpha, Intelligent Alpha kindly answered your question better than I ever could hehe.

Zeo

He was popular in vanilla because he had a braindead easy guaranteed setup into critical burst that anyone could learn in the first 5 minutes of training mode. He's still good, but he actually requires thought to play effectively now, which is why you see him much less and you see many more christies, helenas, kasumi's, ayanes etc etc.

Intelligent Alpha

He was popular in vanilla because he had a braindead easy guaranteed setup into critical burst that anyone could learn in the first 5 minutes of training mode. He's still good, but he actually requires thought to play effectively now, which is why you see him much less and you see many more christies, helenas, kasumi's, ayanes etc etc.

I bet many would disagree! "I learned a crazy ass combo! Made my head hurt trying to do it!" :cool::rolleyes: Given my main, same shit there, too! I don't think such take no skill to play; it's the above sentence in quotes. IOW, the other skills are being overlooked and are vastly underrated. Every character is great, even with the negatives. But yeah, Jan Lee is great once you realize and utilize his other tools (same goes for every other character) :cool:

Squizzo

Brad is hella slow. Keep the pressure on him with jabs and don't let him create space. A lot of his moves are unsafe, particularly those that put him in laying stance. Always be ready to punish with low throws.

DCShinobi

All the info you guys(and gals) gave me helped a lot! Thanks JKT for the videos and other resources. Thanks Squizzo, Alpha, Patrick, and Zeo for the info on Brad and Jan Lee :) So far other than Ayane the other ninjas are kind of disappointing, but hey maybe they just aren't for me :)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD