What Character Is Right For Me?(DOA5)

KING JAIMY

I am somewhat new to DOA, but not 3D fighting games. I want to know what character is right for me?
I prefer someone with traits such as...
- Fast and easy combos (they don't have to be overly powerful, but fast enough to where I can chain my attacks.)
- Can counter fairly easy
- Higher speed
- Higher strike
- Fair amount of power

So far I've been using Mila (Madly in love with her) if you think she fits those qualities, then please give me some advice on how to use her, what combos to use, and what I should watch out for. The only characters I am not interested in are the characters that come with the ultimate version. I also prefer to stay away from Heavyweights such as Bass (just not my style.) If you think you know a better character that would better suit me, please let me know! Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this ^-^
:mila:
I would say Momiji, but you already said you didn't like the 5U characters. So my recommendation would be either Hayate and/or Hitomi, based on the fact that they're quite beginner friendly with regard to combos and both are characters with much reliance on strikes. Plus, their speed is pretty decent. Or you could dedicate yourself to Mila, she's a very solid character as well.
And if you really can't decide on a character, I recommend doing each character's command training once or twice. Just do what your heart says and you'll improve in no time.

Intelligent Alpha

All the info you guys(and gals) gave me helped a lot! Thanks JKT for the videos and other resources. Thanks Squizzo, Alpha, Patrick, and Zeo for the info on Brad and Jan Lee :) So far other than Ayane the other ninjas are kind of disappointing, but hey maybe they just aren't for me :)

You're welcome! In what way are the other ninjas disappointing? it's the "Instant Win" button, isn't it? XD

Brute

Standard Donor
You're welcome! In what way are the other ninjas disappointing? it's the "Instant Win" button, isn't it? XD
The closest thing to an "instant win button" in this game is an inescapable throw that takes out 1/3 of your health in one shot (1/2 on HiC) and can be mixed up with three CB hit-levels, which is possessed solely by your character, Alpha.

The ninjas do not have "instant win" buttons and while I recognize that your post was intended purely as a joke, the last thing a new player needs is to be told that 6 characters all have an "instant win button," especially when you have no concept on where any of them place tier-wise.

DCShinobi

The closest thing to an "instant win button" in this game is an inescapable throw that takes out 1/3 of your health in one shot (1/2 on HiC) and can be mixed up with three CB hit-levels, which is possessed solely by your character, Alpha.

The ninjas do not have "instant win" buttons and while I recognize that your post was intended purely as a joke, the last thing a new player needs is to be told that 6 characters all have an "instant win button," especially when you have no concept on where any of them place tier-wise.

Thanks for being so considerate, but I've played my fair share of fighting games. It's common sense that a popular game such as DOA would not have an instant win combo or button :) By the way, who all makes up the 6 ninjas? It's Hayabusa, Hayate, Ayane, Kasumi, and Momiji (but who else am I forgetting?)

Intelligent Alpha

Maybe they just don't fit my fighting style, but I don't know what the instant win button is either lol. I guess I expected them to be OP.

I'm sure Brute thinks I'm serious with that comment though he knows what I mean! However, I don't think that "I Win!" button is false! Whether it be online or offline - "Always a damn ninja!" Yeah, there's Helena and Christie, but seeing these top tier characters all the time (no offense to all tourney players who use them, btw TFC 14 was ridiculous in-spite of this!)

That's just a term folks use to describe why the same characters are often used.

The ninjas: Speed, Flashiness (Combos, Mixups and Pokes)
The grapplers: Raw Power, Damage - little to no flashiness!

Most go for either extreme aka counter-picking - no middle ground or they pick a character close to that attribute that's respected or feared (Alpha vs. all the ninjas/Christie/Helena or Bass vs. the aforementioned characters)

Of course, it comes down to how they are played, but so much focus is put on MUs.

Xbaldes and Kwiggles: Alpha/Christie or Helena/Christie? Xblades never gave up with either, but who did Xblades look better with though he lost? (He shouldve stuck with Helena the entire tournament) It's not just tourneys but offline and on

(I'll get your post in a minute, Brute)

Now, if you knew I meant this as a joke, why are you taking it seriously? You just said the three CBs and and throw! But you're not accounting for when opponents get stupid and deserve them? I don't understand this logic! You have grapplers - while lacking 3 CBs, can throw punish just as easily. It amazes me how Alpha is seen as a joke until BURST comes out and everybody loses it!

I know Alpha's B tier and I know why she's B tier, but given the ease to defeat her, I doubt B tier actually holds up! I get she's a glass-cannon; yet, you never hear about the defensive capabilities of any character - except Alpha - "This bitch can't counter - this will be easy!" (Even Xblades' performance couldn't outmatch his competitor) "Stay on her to win!" Why? It's not an automatic loss if you don't - same can be said for Alpha!

Yet, one damn throw on HiC while you can keep her groundless all day long or use her as your personal punching bag! The Instant Win deal though, regarding specifics, you're right, but regarding generalities. It's not enough she's a featherweight; it's not enough you can combo her to death; it's not enough to can easily neutralize her ground-game or any shred of offense. And yet, she can win with two throws, but that's still not fair? To an extent, yes. Completely? I fail to see how? What shouldn't be fair is the ineptitude after you've taken one or two! You can't blame Alpha for that!

The problem is that every character has an "instant win button," but noticeably the semi to very fast ones and since this game emphasizes speed and/or neutralizing it more than anything else! The IW button is ...

Guarantees! Whether it be Genfu, Rachael, Alpha, Helena ... everyone has them! It just so happens that Alpha's is a very damaging HiC Throw! (and even that's not always guaranteed)

EDIT: I wish we'd stop with the pissing matches! We both have valid points!

Brute

Standard Donor
Thanks for being so considerate, but I've played my fair share of fighting games. It's common sense that a popular game such as DOA would not have an instant win combo or button :) By the way, who all makes up the 6 ninjas? It's Hayabusa, Hayate, Ayane, Kasumi, and Momiji (but who else am I forgetting?)
Phase 4

However, I don't think that "I Win!" button is false!
Saying you don't think it's false means you think it is true, ie: you believe that the ninjas have an "I Win" button (which is absurd).

The ninjas: Speed, Flashiness (Combos, Mixups and Pokes)
The grapplers: Raw Power, Damage - little to no flashiness!
Lisa (a grappler) is very flashy.
Hayate (a ninja) is the antithesis of flashy.

Xbaldes and Kwiggles: Alpha/Christie or Helena/Christie? Xblades never gave up with either, but who did Xblades look better with though he lost? (He shouldve stuck with Helena the entire tournament) It's not just tourneys but offline and on
Off-topic, but the tournament's screen monitor had massive delay, so I wouldn't take what you saw there too seriously.

The problem is that every character has an "instant win button," but noticeably the semi to very fast ones and since this game emphasizes speed and/or neutralizing it more than anything else! The IW button is ...
There is no IW button in the game whatsoever. My post said "the closest thing to."

Chapstick

No one has suggested Kasumi? D: I know you said the ninja are disappointing but let the light in and give Kasumi a chance.
- Fast and easy combos (they don't have to be overly powerful, but fast enough to where I can chain my attacks.) yes
- Can counter fairly easy yes (parries)
- Higher speed absolutely
- Higher strike I'm not entirely sure what this means but yes
- Fair amount of power yes
By the way, does Alpha technically count as a ninja? She can teleport, has a lot of Kasumi's moves, and is a transformed version of a ninja (Kasumi Alpha) that was cloned from a ninja.

Bushido

No one has suggested Kasumi? D: I know you said the ninja are disappointing but let the light in and give Kasumi a chance.

By the way, does Alpha technically count as a ninja? She can teleport, has a lot of Kasumi's moves, and is a transformed version of a ninja (Kasumi Alpha) that was cloned from a ninja.
To get higher damage, or even decent damage, Kasumi's combos require quite a bit of timing, more so than Christie or Gen Fu.

Chapstick

To get higher damage, or even decent damage, Kasumi's combos require quite a bit of timing, more so than Christie or Gen Fu.
They do? Trickiest thing is the awkward 7K~6P+K~9PK input but it just takes a bit of practice to get that down. Christie has her picky jak combo enders that need to be done without any delay and free canceling 6K's and Gen Fu has instant 3P's.

Bushido

They do? Trickiest thing is the awkward 7K~6P+K~9PK input but it just takes a bit of practice to get that down. Christie has her picky jak combo enders that need to be done without any delay and free canceling 6K's and Gen Fu has instant 3P's.
Overall this is what I've heard. Overall.

Brute

Standard Donor
I don't consider Alpha a ninja because she has never trained as a ninja or practiced any occupational roles of a ninja or lived like a ninja. She uses some stolen ninja moves but by that logic Jacky could also be a ninja.
Phase 4 seems to have inherited Kasumi's personality/memories, being kind-hearted and whatnot, whereas Alpha seemingly did not and is just a mindless killing machine. Even if Phase did not inherit Kasumi's memories, she seems to be currently "employed/enslaved" as a ninja by MIST, doing ninja-like activities and jobs. Alpha has always seemed rather "loose-canon"-like, never really getting into that "go wipe out that guy/group of guys" or "become an agent of espionage" area.

Chapstick

I don't consider Alpha a ninja because she has never trained as a ninja or practiced any occupational roles of a ninja or lived like a ninja. She uses some stolen ninja moves but by that logic Jacky could also be a ninja.
Phase 4 seems to have inherited Kasumi's personality/memories, being kind-hearted and whatnot, whereas Alpha seemingly did not and is just a mindless killing machine. Even if Phase did not inherit Kasumi's memories, she seems to be currently "employed/enslaved" as a ninja by MIST, doing ninja-like activities and jobs. Alpha has always seemed rather "loose-canon"-like, never really getting into that "go wipe out that guy/group of guys" or "become an agent of espionage" area.
I thought Alpha was Kasumi Alpha after being genetically modified. She didn't live like a ninja after that but she did before. Jacky's a racecar driver that's had that backflip for 21 years.

Intelligent Alpha

But Kasumi could hate just as easily, but she never will - that's reserved for Ayane! "I hate the world! Destroy any and all in it!" =/= that? Sure, it does - just an over-grossly magnified version of it! Yet, if Phase 4, is still one of M.I.S.T.'s "assassins ..." They aren't known for being emotional, they like Alpha are told to "go get the job done," (and they have free will, too! This is why it's a obvious trope to have "the enemy feel conflicted!" - just an excuse to have everyone like her. Don't get me wrong, feeling sympathetic towards the enemy/villain even if it means you grow to hate the friend/enemy has always been a staple! I mean, look at one of Phase 4's titles. The entire trio is a "Tragic" story in this sense! (Or quad if you count "False Kasumi!")

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD