When will fighting games be challenging again?

Awesmic

Standard Donor
SC2 was easy since you just needed to find each character's best moves as everything was so safe. I could beat most folks around here just by using 1 or two strings with Cass.
Deja vu much. That's what my girlfriend used to say.

MasterHavik

SC2 was easy since you just needed to find each character's best moves as everything was so safe. I could beat most folks around here just by using 1 or two strings with Cass.

That said, nothing screams easy like picking a early top tier team in MvC2 like Cable/IceMan/Blackheart and simply spamming away wins... at high level even.
lol wow. But you know that is what made SC2 great.

Crext

Standard Donor
When will fighting games be challenging again?

Well, unless you are Xcaliburblades or Lopedo, then this viewpoint kinda rings hollow in my view. Become the champion before you disrespect the challenge, and maybe one day you'll become Mitsurugi, the wandering samurai who's goal is simply to find a worthy foe.

d3v

Another fun fact. Comeback mechanics and "tools to help people who're losing" aren't a new thing. We've had them since Fatal Fury's Desperation Moves and SamSho's rage meter.

MasterHavik

Well, unless you are Xcaliburblades or Lopedo, then this viewpoint kinda rings hollow in my view. Become the champion before you disrespect the challenge, and maybe one day you'll become Mitsurugi, the wandering samurai who's goal is simply to find a worthy foe.
whoa..let's not god there. I'm just talking about learning a game more challenging and less hand holding. There are players that call games scrubbiest and they place hide in them. there many mk players that did this. Winning doesn't give your opinion anymore weight when anyone can call it.

d3v: lol now that's funny.

d3v

For the most part. The "hand holding" is an illusion based on marketing B.S. SFIV is no easier than SFIII and even folks like Seth Killian (former Capcom Special Advisor for SF) have admitted that SFIV is actually a very high execution game. Marvel's execution, as I have previously stated, always came from B.S. that the players created.

MasterHavik

For the most part. The "hand holding" is an illusion based on marketing B.S. SFIV is no easier than SFIII and even folks like Seth Killian (former Capcom Special Advisor for SF) have admitted that SFIV is actually a very high execution game. Marvel's execution, as I have previously stated, always came from B.S. that the players created.
i don't find SF4 a heavy execution game though it just has mess up shortcuts issues.

d3v

i don't find SF4 a heavy execution game though it just has mess up shortcuts issues.
It is compared to previous entries in the series. Aside from arbitrary one frame links (traditionally, any 1 frame shenanigans were all stuff that players found on their own), there's the issue of certain techniques required for high level play being locked behind some arbitrary execution checks. For example, most ways to combo into Ultra usually require an FADC, the main way to combo into big meter powered damage is locked behind an execution barrier. Compare this to 3rd Strike where if I wanted to do up to 50% damage, was a simple hit confirm into super art. Playing as Ken, do two crouching shorts and then cancel them into SA3. Chun players have their choice of crouching forward or back and fierce. This means that players were more easily able to get into mid to somewhat high level competitive play without the need for execution heavy stuff. The truly execution heavy stuff in 3S is situational, very high level tech such as DED OS and SGGK - stuff that you don't need to be competitive.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
whoa..let's not god there. I'm just talking about learning a game more challenging and less hand holding.
For me, hand-holding is necessary to learn a game, no matter how less or more challenging it is.

There are players that call games scrubbiest and they place hide in them.
They're called trolls who swallow their pride and support the game anyway, if and when they can.

Crext

Standard Donor
Also, if you get to a place where pads have an even huger advantage over controllers, then the casual gamer will get tiered fast. It would kill online play.

MasterHavik

It is compared to previous entries in the series. Aside from arbitrary one frame links (traditionally, any 1 frame shenanigans were all stuff that players found on their own), there's the issue of certain techniques required for high level play being locked behind some arbitrary execution checks. For example, most ways to combo into Ultra usually require an FADC, the main way to combo into big meter powered damage is locked behind an execution barrier. Compare this to 3rd Strike where if I wanted to do up to 50% damage, was a simple hit confirm into super art. Playing as Ken, do two crouching shorts and then cancel them into SA3. Chun players have their choice of crouching forward or back and fierce. This means that players were more easily able to get into mid to somewhat high level competitive play without the need for execution heavy stuff. The truly execution heavy stuff in 3S is situational, very high level tech such as DED OS and SGGK - stuff that you don't need to be competitive.
Good info. I never had a problem with playing people like Dan and el furete in the game though. I could use Akuma too.
Also, if you get to a place where pads have an even huger advantage over controllers, then the casual gamer will get tiered fast. It would kill online play.
very true. SF4 being not pad friendly was another killer.

For me, hand-holding is necessary to learn a game, no matter how less or more challenging it is.

They're called trolls who swallow their pride and support the game anyway, if and when they can.
your words are so powerful man.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD