Balance Who thinks Gen Fu is the best in the game?

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Tenryuga, thank you for your lengthy reply. I appreciate all of that.

One thing about the 3p though, is it does get interrupted frequently against characters with faster mids. His 1p attack that goes low I prefer to use to crush against high stuff instead of 3p all the time.

Guarantees off parries? I'll have to look at that again then, cause I don't remember any last time I analyzed that in training

Yes, he has guarantees off his parries. Use training mode, set the A.I to strike hi or mid, set their reaction to guard all, set their options to Critical hold at fastest. Set Critical hold type to high hold. Parry the A.I.'s strike, follow up with 8PP.

You're welcome.

TaijiMonk

A Gen Fu player trying to convince everyone he's mid-tier

#typical
Lol, what's a typical gen fu player, cause I'm probably not it.

Thank you HaijinShinobi for your response. I'll look at all of that in training mode.

Back to my original question though, do you guys really think that makes him the BEST IN THE WHOLE GAME? Above every other character. Hey, I'm not a complete scrub. I've been playing Gen Fu casually for about 8 years. Have an A+ in ranked, mostly with gen fu & brad. Have an 84% win with Gen fu in ranked, ranked at 15 overall with Gen Fu. I credit that to his well-roundedness and how long I've been playing him. I think he's a good character, but I just don't see how he's the best or even great compared to some of the other monsters out there. I play everybody and can find a way to beat any character, but some haracters just seem like a really bad matchup for him, and do seem like better characters overall. Thanks for the input and patience with me. Still trying to learn all the fighting game jargon

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Lol, what's a typical gen fu player, cause I'm probably not it.

Thank you HaijinShinobi for your response. I'll look at all of that in training mode.

Back to my original question though, do you guys really think that makes him the BEST IN THE WHOLE GAME? Above every other character. Hey, I'm not a complete scrub. I've been playing Gen Fu casually for about 8 years. Have an A+ in ranked, mostly with gen fu & brad. Have an 84% win with Gen fu in ranked, ranked at 15 overall with Gen Fu. I credit that to his well-roundedness and how long I've been playing him. I think he's a good character, but I just don't see how he's the best or even great compared to some of the other monsters out there. I play everybody and can find a way to beat any character, but some haracters just seem like a really bad matchup for him, and do seem like better characters overall. Thanks for the input and patience with me. Still trying to learn all the fighting game jargon

Online rank does not definite skill. Also my name is not spelled Haijin, it's Hajin lol.

No one is saying he's the best period, we are saying he is definitely top tier because of the information a few of us shared in this thread.

TaijiMonk

Online rank does not definite skill. Also my name is not spelled Haijin, it's Hajin lol.

No one is saying he's the best period, we are saying he is definitely top tier because of the information a few of us shared in this thread.

Oh ok. I'm on my tiny phone trying to scroll and read everything. Hajin, got it.

I understand online rank does not define skill. I just wanted to clarify to some that I have some experience with Gen Fu, which is why I find it unbelievable how some can think he's the best. Which was the point of this thread in the first place. I was curious to find out how many out there actually believe that. I was told it was the vast majority of players that think that he's the best. That's mind boggling to me

synce

Gen Fu is in a tier of his own, I don't think any other character has such a complete toolset AND speed despite being heavyweight. I think he'll always be top tier though because no one would pick the old fart otherwise.

TaijiMonk

Gen Fu is in a tier of his own, I don't think any other character has such a complete toolset AND speed despite being heavyweight. I think he'll always be top tier though because no one would pick the old fart otherwise.
Wrong. I've played gen fu for so long because he's my favorite, before I even knew about this top tier nonsense. Unless your talking about tournament play. If Team Ninja ever drops Fu from the roster, I'll stop playing doa. When I started doa 4 I played jann lee and got my ass kicked match after match. I must have lost 100 matches before I won one. Then my friend who had the game (i was playing over at his house) showed me gen fu, said he was easy to play. I immediately took a liking to him because he was the kung fu master. I would just go complete troll on people with the 3p, weaving in and out of stuff, I thought it was hilarious how I could use this old man and suh a simple looking move to evade and hit and actually win a match evey now and then. Then I actually started to learn the character in depth, and have basically played only him since. He was the first character I actually learned and was good at, so he's my favorite...not because he's "top tier" or cheap, like some people think -_-

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
His toolset just works together really really well. Unless he's across the screen, he just continuously forces you to make guesses that are severely in his favor. It's 2D okizeme in a 3D game. Once he gets going, he just forces you into mixup after mixup. He has one of the best crushes in the game, he's fast, he has good whiff punishment, he has launchers on 3 levels, he has ridiculously high stun launch damage, he has a launcher throw, a frame advantage throw that does hella damage, he has parries with guaranteed followups, his juggles lead to mixups that you're to respect, and he's heavyweight. The only tools he lacks are ranged tools and Akira's 2P.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
His toolset just works together really really well. Unless he's across the screen, he just continuously forces you to make guesses that are severely in his favor. It's 2D okizeme in a 3D game. Once he gets going, he just forces you into mixup after mixup. He has one of the best crushes in the game, he's fast, he has good whiff punishment, he has launchers on 3 levels, he has ridiculously high stun launch damage, he has a launcher throw, a frame advantage throw that does hella damage, he has parries with guaranteed followups, his juggles lead to mixups that you're to respect, and he's heavyweight. The only tools he lacks are ranged tools and Akira's 2P.

His stun launch damage isn't higher than Ayane's. I don't consider his stun launch damage ridiculous, just very good.

TaijiMonk

His stun launch damage isn't higher than Ayane's. I don't consider his stun launch damage ridiculous, just very good.
What is the highest damage stun launch combo that you can do with ayane? I have maxed out gen fu at 156 not including counter/hi-counter damqge

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I can do 102 damage from KK > 4P+K stun to launch lol. Ayane does not need to work the Critical stun threshold so much to deal a lot of damage from stun to launch.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD