Who will be cut in DOA6?

KwonJigglypuff

It's hard to remove some characters. It's hard... let's see. Who is REALLY needed ?

Okay, so it's a fighting game. Imagine if DOA6 only had a "small" roster on release. Like Tekken 7, Street Fighter 5, etc. Believe me, I don't want to cut anyone, I'm just trying to think.

I doubt any of the female ninjas (Kasumi, Ayane) will ever get removed. And Marie-Rose as well. Some faces are also too iconic for the DOA franchise: Bass, Hitomi, Jann Lee, etc.

I could see a "Divas" Pack with Christie, Lisa, Rachel and even Tina (if Mila is paired up with Bass).
I could see a "Calm Strenght" Pack with Leon (or Bayman), Gen Fu, Ein, etc.

Really. We now have 35 characters. Of course we'll lose some faces. Hoping Lisa won't be part of them.

Characters at risk: Alpha 152/Phase 4, Raidou, Gen Fu, Rachel/Momiji, Ein (except if they mix him with Hayate).

SoftCabbage

The story will determine which characters will be cut.

And I'm hoping they still stick to storyline rather than just random add/cut.

Number 13

Story is not a complete factor to decide who gets in or not.

Ein's story began/ended during DoA 2 yet he still came back for DoA 3/DoA 4 as a bonus non canon character. TN even had plans for him in DoA 5 vanilla as bonus non canon character like usual but 'time constraints' prevented him and a few others to get in.

It also helps when your character model is a near exact replica of an existing character [Hayate who is guaranteed a spot for DoA 6] and how other characters already borrowed a few of his moves [Hayate/Hitomi/etc] which makes his inclusion as a character much cheaper development wise compared to others.

I can still see him not making the initial cut like my previous post mentioned simply because there is more competition for roster slots now unlike the earlier games. Factor in the popular new faces that DoA 5 introduced [Marie Rose, Honoka, Nyotengu, and Rig for {plot purposes} are guaranteed] that will be competition for slots and of course the obligatory new characters with reserved slots during debut of DoA 6 [which would be at least two like Rig/Mila] and his chances are slim to none now. TN can't put everybody in at once for practical reasons unless DoA 6 is gonna recycle most of DoA 5. They don't have infinite resources/time.

Kronin

Story is not a complete factor to decide who gets in or not.

It shouldn't be but apparently all the characters added to DoA5 Vanilla have all a background related to the current plot, even Bankotsubo and Raidou were brought in shapes that could give them again a role in the story of the game, so maybe we could think that TN care for this aspect. The only characters that make exception are the VF guests (for obvious reasons, even if technically Akira and Sarah are canon) and Ein. But about the latter, I really think that Rig's activation of project Epsilon could be the cause for making Ein again canon in the story of DoA6 in some ways.

Anyway I agree with ou with everything you stated about Ein, effectively the chances to see him back - even if not immediately - are more higher than I thought considering that his 3d model and large part of moveset are fated to return through Hayate and Hitomi.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
In Dimensions, Hayate was wearing Ein's C1 during a cutscene. Ever since, I just figured that Hayate kept the Ein persona for undercover stuff, sort of like how the other ninjas have certain civilian outfits (schoolgirl outfits, Hayabusa in a suit).

Kronin

In Dimensions, Hayate was wearing Ein's C1 during a cutscene (...) sort of like how the other ninjas have certain civilian outfits (schoolgirl outfits, Hayabusa in a suit).

I really liked this aspect, gave us a new interesting info about how the ninja of the DoA/NG world can operate when they are undercover in a modern setting (paradoxically they act more as secret warriors when they don't wear as shinobi xD) and in the process even gave an unexpected reason for making canon outfits apparently out of place for people that live in ancient Japanese villages.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
On that note, it's interesting that Hayate's casual wear in DOA5 is more traditional Japanese, while Ein has some modern track suit, albeit, showing skin because Ein is obviously more confident in his sexiness. Lol

LightSonic

In Dimensions, Hayate was wearing Ein's C1 during a cutscene. Ever since, I just figured that Hayate kept the Ein persona for undercover stuff, sort of like how the other ninjas have certain civilian outfits (schoolgirl outfits, Hayabusa in a suit).

This. This is exactly what I thought after seeing that scene, and why it makes sense for Ein to still be playable. Hayate still has the outfit and there's no way he just forgot Karate, so there's no reason he can't use them when he wants to. They could have easily given Hayate an Ein outfit, but Ein had a different moveset, so they probably just made it a separate character slot to keep it like it was originally since he came first (and for people who wanted that fighting style, but don't like Hitomi).

Last edited:

David Gregg

I feel like a lot of it (at least the initial roster) will come down to how different 6 is from 5 in terms of graphics, movesets, mechanics, etc... The 5 DLC characters will definitely be in. I'm sure they will have important interactions in story mode with Honoka+Ayane+Raidou, Marie Rose+Helena, Nyotengu+Hayabusa, and Kasumi+P4.

I think if they haven't already started development of 6 they will soon after X3.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Phase 4 was just such a waste of a new character slot, the more I think about it. She is another Kasumi clone with less moves and different teleport commands. It makes it even worse that Alpha is already playable in this game. They could have saved P4 for DOA6, but three different Kasumi variants is overkill.

David Gregg

Phase 4 was just such a waste of a new character slot, the more I think about it. She is another Kasumi clone with less moves and different teleport commands. It makes it even worse that Alpha is already playable in this game. They could have saved P4 for DOA6, but three different Kasumi variants is overkill.

It is overkill but I do like the concept and at least it makes sense. Honoka on the other hand was straight up laziness (and this is coming from someone who even likes her moe cow school girl design). I'll be really disappointed if they don't make her moveset more unique for 6.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
With Honoka, the most they could do is either make her a Mokujin like character, where she switches fighting styles every round OR build off her HNK stance. I like Honoka as a character, but I do agree that her Dural like fighting style was lazy, especially since Raidou was brought back.

Mayor-Of-Mustard

I have a feeling that Honoka, Raidou, Gen Fu, possibly Nyotengu due to her "boss character" moveset, some dumb Kasumi clone(s), guest characters and maybe even Leon or Bayman (I'd like both involved in the story, it's either one or the other. The only time I remember both of them involved in the story was DOA3, though you can correct me if I am wrong) will be unlockable via achievements or from story mode. I think Ein might be cut, and it could be possible for Gen Fu to get cut, with Eliot taking most of his moves. Maybe Gen Fu could stay for variety, or make a huge comeback, same for Leon, (cough Nyotengu x Gen Fu cough). Maybe we can see some proper story mode interaction from Leon and Bayman, too, instead of just rivalry intros and outros for them. We don't even know much about how they know each other.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD