Why is Lisa white now?

KwonJigglypuff

I'm pretty sure if Lisa was black she'd be a coon like Zack. TN is pretty stereotypical.

I agree with the Brazilian, South American theory.

No, I think it's more a problem of beauty criteria. If Lisa was a dude.. I mean, if they didn't have to sell tons of bikinis for the Japan audience, for her, she would be darker. So that's why she was "whitewashed". To sell more. Anyway, Afro-American ladies come in any shape and skin complexion, so that works too.
Zack is darker because he is a male, he doesn't have to be "hot" and "beautiful" (from the Japanese POV) because he doesn't have to sell or please a large audience like her. He is not a DOA babe.

BloodBurger

No, I think it's more a problem of beauty criteria. If Lisa was a dude.. I mean, if they didn't have to sell tons of bikinis for the Japan audience, for her, she would be darker. So that's why she was "whitewashed". To sell more. Anyway, Afro-American ladies come in any shape and skin complexion, so that works too.
Zack is darker because he is a male, he doesn't have to be "hot" and "beautiful" (from the Japanese POV) because he doesn't have to sell or please a large audience like her. He is not a DOA babe.

I see what you're saying. Beauty within the media does suggest "lighter is better", and what you're saying may be the case. When it comes to her actual ethnicity however, her skin color isn't an issue at all. Black and Hispanic women come in all shades and colors. I'm leaning more towards her fighting style and her being a luchador suggesting she's of Hispanic descent.

KwonJigglypuff

I see what you're saying. Beauty within the media does suggest "lighter is better", and what you're saying may be the case. When it comes to her actual ethnicity however, her skin color isn't an issue at all. Black and Hispanic women come in all shades and colors. I'm leaning more towards her fighting style and her being a luchador suggesting she's of Hispanic descent.

Okay, that's right.
Well, we'll have to wait for DOA6. Hopefully we'll have flashbacks of young Lisa eating burritos and beating piñatas. :cool:

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Looking back on this now, I thought everyone would be over it. Can't really complain with those amounts of bump-mapping...

*ahem* On a side note, I'd like to see Danielle McRae take on Lisa's English voice in future installments. Wendee Lee just seemed like an odd choice, especially after she had just voiced Ayane in DOAD prior to this installment.

b-bombs

Standard Donor
Japan always lightens up their black females (there are literally photo booths for teenagers in Japan that have skin lightening software). Vanessa (VF) and Christie (Tekken) are perfect examples of this. I know for fact that there was a lot of talk about Lisa being Zack's sister at first when DOAXBV came out and upon further research they distanced themselves from that. And of course wikipedia has her as African-American https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dead_or_Alive_characters#Lisa_Hamilton but of course we all know how the internet is.

Blazeincarnated

^ Exactly. TN was to make Lisa and Zack brother and sister at one point then scrapped the idea to focus on a different direction for the character (Lisa). Cut this stereotype shit out. Matter of fact lock this thread. Its absolutely pointless.

Gruff757

Standard Donor
ermahgerrrrd.....who cares yo?
I personally love my dark skinned ladies a lot(and I mean A LOT) more than light skinned ladies, but I like Lisa a lot more this way, personally.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD