Will Team NINJA Upgrade Character Customization?

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
With the amount of content Team NINJA has shown it is clear that DOA6 is going to be a stellar game in all of the most important areas, but most players would also love to see the little things perfected. When I initially saw the 'DOA Central' customization mode, I was excited as a player to finally have some more variety and options to the look of my character. It would appear that DOA Central doesn't currently do that much.

This new 'custom slots' sounds like a big thing, but it's pretty much limited to setting up presets for your character. You can add shades, change the hairstyle, and pick your favorite outfit for each character. I believe you can even change your emblem/titles and you might be able to buy costumes there with game currency or real money. The presets you save will also more than likely be an option for your main character on the game menu.

Now this sounds nice, but why go through all of that trouble making that mode when I can just manually pick my costume? If that was it for DOAC, it seems like they would just make a quick list option for it in the settings. Based on these factors, one might think they have not revealed everything yet for the DOAC mode.

Maybe Team NINJA will finally add a color wheel to the game, that would be huge and wouldn't hurt their DLC sales at the rate they release new costumes. To me that disgusting Green Flacon costume is a horrible precursor for things to come, even if it is just a pre-order DLC. I would love to keep seeing new costumes, but if there are going to be recolors, they should be bright and sparkly or have effects at the very least.

There are a bunch of other things they could do with this mode too. You could swap individual pieces on the body, or maybe even other character pieces. What did you guys discover about this mode and what would you like for it?

I will admire it and enjoy it, but I really do hope there is a lot more to this than presets.

Last edited:

mizking

I'd like to see some outfits added in the customisation where anyone can wear them, kinda like how in SC6 I could get Taki to dress as Sophitia, Ivy etc,

That being said I don't want it to be ridiculous and having to see people with big Zack wangs online

Tina2040_

They probably won't, but in reality it should go like this:
  • Each user gets to create X amount of outfits and that is what is displayed on the character select screen.
  • Purchase tops and bottoms, hair, accessories - some will be character specific, some will be generic like the WWE games.
  • Items or "costumes" are unlocked through time attack, etc and these challenges or modes are how you earn Zack dollars.
  • DLC is used this way - users must select the DLC costume to use from the list (but the item doesn't need to be purchased ingame)

Macca Beam

not sure if i like hairstyle/inner being tied to a customization slot. it was more convenient when you could do it on the character select screen because there are x*y combinations of these.

letting the player control the number of costumes is a solution for the costume spaghetti in 5. i might even get to kick out the recolors

Einzelkind

I prefer the concept of only being able to customize existing characters to SC's CAS approach, but the footage Team Ninja showed so far screams "we will start selling accessories - including panties - as DLC". Personally, a color wheel would be enough for me. I'm already tired of fighting dick lizards and anime knockoffs with busted hitboxes in SC6.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Yuck. I don't like any of these. Every sleeveless shirt gets an arm band I guess. Everything else is church or school.

Not impressed with the outfits they are giving us from the start. Some look great, but I think a lot of the casual ones look a little cheap. Would like to have nice unlockable outfits.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I sure hope they'll update it, like I said in my mini wishlist in the What do you want to see in DOA6 thread, I feel like this is the big moment where they can add a different alternative to DLCs besides costumes and stages and characters. Trust me, if they make hairstyle packs, eyewear, skin modifiers like tans, and other little stuff like Easter eggs, that will sell like hotcakes <3 I feel like this could definitely be something huge if TN thinks outside the box, it's already putting Soul Calibur 6 to shame in terms of customization xD

Kasumi-Phase-X

When I saw a screenshot of DOA6 having customization, it does sound exciting, and I also had a feeling its not going to be in level like the other 3D fighters (VF, Tekken, & SC). When I saw some pics & videos, its what I expect DOA customs to be. Normally in DOA games you'd usually pick your hairstyles, glasses, & details (exclusive to females) by pressing different buttons except back button (Xbox B/PS O), DOA6 custom slot seems more like a quicker way of picking the stuff for your character without the need to selecting manually compare to the previous titles with the only thing missing is the details.

The customization in DOA6 seems more like an easy way of picking your costume/hairstyle/glasses which is good for those that want things quicker without having to pick manually having hard decisions especially in online matches when the character select screen has a time limit, but for customization aspect its weaker compare to SNK Heroines which you have a variety of items from hair accessories, faces, face paints, back, hips, hands, & legs.

All DOA6 would need (which SNK Heroines lacked) is different color pallets whether presets (something similar to Tekken, KOFXIII, SFXT, and DOAX with more colors than favorite colors) or color wheel. Make their customs similar to the other 3D fighters. My expectation would be more hairstyles, glasses, and most importantly more costumes.

jellypvdding

Yuck. I don't like any of these. Every sleeveless shirt gets an arm band I guess. Everything else is church or school.

Not impressed with the outfits they are giving us from the start. Some look great, but I think a lot of the casual ones look a little cheap. Would like to have nice unlockable outfits.

church? school? shutting down the arm band fantasy? oooh yesss. deathofaninja snapped honey. drag them. DRAG. THEM. :)

i'm with readtofilthbyaninja on the outfits in general. i gased nico's up before but girl listen, i was just being the friend you needed at the time. lol.

now as far as the customization aspect is concerned... i'm skeptical about how advanced it will be. thanks to seeing mila in bass' shades in her character thread though it seems cute so far. they need to hook sis up with some bandana's so she can truly live out her bass fantasy.

stage customization anyone? mainly time of day and weather settings, i guess.

Truth

I usually love the choice of character customisation, it’s my favourite thing about Soul Calibur, but I don’t actually trust the developers to give custom options that respect the integrity of each character. What drew me to DOA was the shear badassery of it all. Tekken had the Kazamas but DOA had ninjas. The casual clothing, swimwear and what not was more of a novelty, but now it’s like the novelty has become the game. Instead of expounding on each characters unique personalities with eleborate designs we got generic dlc that made everyone look the same. I feel like customisation will only exasperate this issue further.

When overwatch launched, I thought it was a bit cheeky that they didn’t give us the agency to customise characters. But now I appreciate it because they clearly designed every skin with intention, and it always complimented the personality of the character and played into the backstory. Which is why after only one release, all of their characters are far more established in their identities than DOA. That’s sad.

SaihateDYNAMO

I'm kinda been thinking... with all the themed DLC they made in 5, I feel like the smartest (and cheapest) thing for TN to do if they're going to make this thing a full-blown customize mode is reuse the generic themed DLC and make them customize options. Since the closet mode has Zack Dollars, I think there's a lot more to the customization than what they showed us so far. Tekken is about to get CANCELLED!

They made a TON of packs to the point where I don't think they'll completely abandon some of these models, which look perfectly fine imo and don't really need that many touch-ups either considering they were made pretty recently, are well-textured and have more than like 10 polygons each unlike Tekken's items (seriously, if you zoom into the chaps for example you'll notice the belt is part of the pants texture LMAO!). In the pics some of the accessories could also be made separate items (like the broom for the Shrine Maidens and the stethoscope for the nurses) because I always hated how some characters had them and others didn't.

They could have made these packs with the INTENTION of using them in a future DOA game. actually...
1542849647341.png

1542851861555.png

1542852971121.png

Tekken 7 did something similar in terms of how every female has a generic Gothic Lolita, maid, and halterneck dress, and every guy has a fundoshi (lol) that count as "full body" outfits. In the future, TN could continue to release more themed packs like they did in 5, but since they're now all customizable items that everyone can wear, there wouldn't be the same negative "copy-and-paste" stigma that the DOA5 DLC packs had back when they were full-blown outfits. Tekken 7 has yet to improve it's poor customize mode which to me at this point shows they literally do not care anymore, a far cry from Tekken 6's bop of a customize mode. VF5FS, the current King of Customization is sadly dead on everything that isn't an arcade cabinet in Japan so now is DOA's chance to take that title for good. I know DOA6's could easily rival and surpass it if they do this right. DOA being the best at customization would be fitting considering it was always the only 3D fighter that bothered to give their characters more than like 4 costumes each, even in the 90's-early 2000's.

Another idea I had is that you could possibly unlock random individual "pieces" of an outfit in survival. For example, to create Kasumi's casual outfit you need to pick up a black leather jacket, a flower dress, and black boots. Each individual piece you get can be be mix-and-matched with other custom items as well. I just want the collectible items in survival to come back, but I feel like doing it this way would also give people an actual reason to play survival now as well as giving the cute little items some meaning to them, such as a flower representing the flower hairpin some of the girls have on with the Alluring Mandarin Dress.

I think the outfits are already individual pieces anyways?
1542851215596.png

Other Characters could wear them too like in Soul Calibur.
1542851388271.png

To me, this is at least a somewhat tasteful way of recycling older outfits especially if you can edit the colors. Like I said before, DOA5 had way too many outfits throughout its lifespan to just ditch them like that in the next game. Tekken was clearly not afraid of reusing item models from previous-gen games so i think DOA can do it too!
It's probably SUPER wishful thinking to even assume that the closet mode is more than just the quick menu from 5LR that also doubles as a way to unlock hidden outfits with Zack Dollars but at the same time I don't think they would go that far to make such a big fuss over a mode that simple... right? But, considering it's called the "Closet", I'm gonna assume that it's just for storing the outfits you have already made/unlocked/bought like, well, a closet. My theory is that each individual costume you made gets added to the Closet and THEN that's where you add hair styles (hair COLOR will probably be changed somewhere else), glasses, accessories, and other things. I'm assuming the actual outfit creation is all gonna be in a separate mode that ISN'T the Closet since 1.) There are unrevealed sections of the DOA Central menu and 2.) According to the website DOA Central is completely about customization, so Closet can't just be it.

aaaa if you cant tell by now, I adore customization in fighting games and I would DIE if my favorite series finally ends up getting a good customize mode!! MAKE IT HAPPEN TN!

/TEDtalk

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I'm kinda been thinking... with all the themed DLC they made in 5, I feel like the smartest (and cheapest) thing for TN to do if they're going to make this thing a full-blown customize mode is reuse the generic themed DLC and make them customize options. Since the closet mode has Zack Dollars, I think there's a lot more to the customization than what they showed us so far. Tekken is about to get CANCELLED!

They made a TON of packs to the point where I don't think they'll completely abandon some of these models, which look perfectly fine imo and don't really need that many touch-ups either considering they were made pretty recently, are well-textured and have more than like 10 polygons each unlike Tekken's items (seriously, if you zoom into the chaps for example you'll notice the belt is part of the pants texture LMAO!). In the pics some of the accessories could also be made separate items (like the broom for the Shrine Maidens and the stethoscope for the nurses) because I always hated how some characters had them and others didn't.

They could have made these packs with the INTENTION of using them in a future DOA game. actually...View attachment 26513
View attachment 26516
View attachment 26517

Tekken 7 did something similar in terms of how every female has a generic Gothic Lolita, maid, and halterneck dress, and every guy has a fundoshi (lol) that count as "full body" outfits. In the future, TN could continue to release more themed packs like they did in 5, but since they're now all customizable items that everyone can wear, there wouldn't be the same negative "copy-and-paste" stigma that the DOA5 DLC packs had back when they were full-blown outfits. Tekken 7 has yet to improve it's poor customize mode which to me at this point shows they literally do not care anymore, a far cry from Tekken 6's bop of a customize mode. VF5FS, the current King of Customization is sadly dead on everything that isn't an arcade cabinet in Japan so now is DOA's chance to take that title for good. I know DOA6's could easily rival and surpass it if they do this right. DOA being the best at customization would be fitting considering it was always the only 3D fighter that bothered to give their characters more than like 4 costumes each, even in the 90's-early 2000's.

Another idea I had is that you could possibly unlock random individual "pieces" of an outfit in survival. For example, to create Kasumi's casual outfit you need to pick up a black leather jacket, a flower dress, and black boots. Each individual piece you get can be be mix-and-matched with other custom items as well. I just want the collectible items in survival to come back, but I feel like doing it this way would also give people an actual reason to play survival now as well as giving the cute little items some meaning to them, such as a flower representing the flower hairpin some of the girls have on with the Alluring Mandarin Dress.

I think the outfits are already individual pieces anyways?
View attachment 26514

Other Characters could wear them too like in Soul Calibur.
View attachment 26515
To me, this is at least a somewhat tasteful way of recycling older outfits especially if you can edit the colors. Like I said before, DOA5 had way too many outfits throughout its lifespan to just ditch them like that in the next game. Tekken was clearly not afraid of reusing item models from previous-gen games so i think DOA can do it too!
It's probably SUPER wishful thinking to even assume that the closet mode is more than just the quick menu from 5LR that also doubles as a way to unlock hidden outfits with Zack Dollars but at the same time I don't think they would go that far to make such a big fuss over a mode that simple... right? But, considering it's called the "Closet", I'm gonna assume that it's just for storing the outfits you have already made/unlocked/bought like, well, a closet. My theory is that each individual costume you made gets added to the Closet and THEN that's where you add hair styles (hair COLOR will probably be changed somewhere else), glasses, accessories, and other things. I'm assuming the actual outfit creation is all gonna be in a separate mode that ISN'T the Closet since 1.) There are unrevealed sections of the DOA Central menu and 2.) According to the website DOA Central is completely about customization, so Closet can't just be it.

aaaa if you cant tell by now, I adore customization in fighting games and I would DIE if my favorite series finally ends up getting a good customize mode!! MAKE IT HAPPEN TN!

/TEDtalk
I sure hope they don't end up reusing old game dlc xD if they do they should at least res it up and update/refine it a bit more. They could also just let players use one of the three variants they make for each generic DLC pack so that there's more variety to it.

They should also bring back exclusive hairstyles too like I would love Kasumi's ribbon from her high society pack, and those chignon buns Marie Rose wears in her Mandarin DLC too

Dr PaC

I really really really hope TN brings back the halloween design challenges. Those were so dope and it was cool to see the community really get involved. That was one of the many things that separated DOA from other games and think it would be nice to see that return. And also, some of those designs were pretty godlike. I remember seeing a she wolf design for Sarah that rocked my world but it didnt make it in. But seeing the communiy's creativity is cool.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I really really really hope TN brings back the halloween design challenges. Those were so dope and it was cool to see the community really get involved. That one one of the many things that separated DOA from other games and think it would be nice to see that return. And also, some of those designs were pretty godlike. I remember seeing a she wolf design for Sarah that rocked my world but it didnt make it in. But seeing the communiy's creativity is cool.
You may want to merge your posts together since you can get in trouble for double posting, but I want them to also use alot of fan designs as well, mainly the normal ones besides Halloween designs tho xD

Dr PaC

You may want to merge your posts together since you can get in trouble for double posting, but I want them to also use alot of fan designs as well, mainly the normal ones besides Halloween designs tho xD

Thanks KL, I didnt know that. But yea, any kind of fan design or anything that community involvement had a hand in that makes it in the game is amazing to me. I never seen something like done in any other fighting game before and I thought TN was really cool for thinking to do that

just_me

Standard Donor
probably both… since they will get shit on, if they show them now and then these costumes are not in the game XD

Last edited:

Atahotaku

probably both… since they will get shit on, if they show them now and then they are not in the game XD
So we nonchalantly have Nyotengu render revealed? LOL

P.D: Whom, btw, also ships Tina and Mila together. Now that's the voice of experience talking! xD

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD