Xbox-One Revealed

GeomighT

Microsoft announced their new console , the Xbox-One ... code name "Cable Box Won"
thoughts ?
Xbox-One-600x223.jpg

Xbox-One-2-600x317.jpg

Sony stock jumped double digits after Microsoft conference ended O_O

[media]

bingsoo

Gonna wait for E3 since I don't really have an opinion on either console as of now. The specs seem nearly identical so hopefully both systems will have their fair share of software to advertise.

TokyoHeat

Gonna wait for E3 since I don't really have an opinion on either console as of now. The specs seem nearly identical so hopefully both systems will have their fair share of software to advertise.

Initially yes but upon a closer look no

Xbox one: 8gb DDR3 ram and 12 shader core GPU

PS4: 8gb GDDR5 ram and 18 shader core GPU

In bold are big key differences. What remains to be seen is how much of each console's ram is dedicated to developers over the always on system OS.

Also this worries me...
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-analysis/

Always Online?

There’s one feature of Xbox One from which we can infer quite a few conclusions: You can install any game from the disc to the console’s hard drive, and then play that game whenever you like without having to put the disc in.
Wired asked Microsoft if installation would be mandatory. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” the company responded in an emailed statement. Sounds mandatory to us.
What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.
Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
The presentation couldn't have been any more boring to me.

Sports! TV! CoD!

.... basically everything I purposely avoid putting in my library.

Inferior specs too. Was not impressed. At the end of the day its going to come down to the games themselves. Shame they didn't bother to show any besides EA's usual hipster lineup.

DontForkWitMe

the conference just reaffirmed my stance of PC/PS4 being all i'll need this new gen.

still can't get over the ridiculously shitty name... its like they are in competition with nintendo for who can come up with the shittiest nonsensical name thats guaranteed to cause confusion to the casual masses that they are obviously focusing on

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Xbox has been going downhill for a while now. Right around the time Shadow Run came out they did a 180 and said "On second thought, fuck ingenuity."

Oh, Sony blundered hard too. But... Dat PS+! They know how to apologize right.

TokyoHeat

The presentation couldn't have been any more boring to me.

Sports! TV! CoD!

.... basically everything I purposely avoid putting in my library.

Microsoft is aiming for a very particular and very profitable market of gamers... A market who doesn't care about hardware specs and buys the same titles over again every year.

Inferior specs too. Was not impressed.

The general concenus at Beyond3D was that Microsoft choose cheaper GPU and RAM (DDR3 is very cheap opposed to GDDR5) technologies to offset the cost of shipping a kinnect 2.0 with every console while at the same time keeping the system price competitive.

synce

I may buy this 5 years from now if it has a few exclusives. SO glad Microsoft fucked this one up, saved myself some money.

I'm still watching through the reveal but I swear they must've paid off the audience... Cheering at The Price is Right? lol These people must have shitty TVs, I'm always using picture in picture to watch and play at the same time

shunwong

Wasn't the Xbox 360 less potent than the PS3 too, but easier to develop games for?

Maybe this is more of the same.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Ok, I will say something positive.

I do like the look of that Dpad.

Wasn't the Xbox 360 less potent than the PS3 too, but easier to develop games for?

Well the PS4 Isn't using a cell processor and they were supposed to have built it from the ground up with easier development in mind. Time will tell on that.

Raansu

Forced use of kinnect, less concentration on gaming, locking out used games (no more bringing your copy to a friends house)...Good job MS, you just made my decision easier on which console to get (not xbox)

Julius Rage

Why the fuck would I want to use the xbox as a cable box when to use it so I have to plug it into the xbox....

Ok, if the fucking thing can DVR what its watching and then send the file to a PC then bootleggers will have some use for it.
It not backwards compatible, if the.Kinect breaks it won't work, it might end up being weaker if cloud computing doesn't work out the way they think it will....

The backwards compat thing is the real bullshit - there's no way in hell I'm leaving 360, at least not until they take it off live.

PS4 And X1 are not doing to catch fire.

GeomighT

Xbox requires Kinect , and essentially is "always" listening to everything going on in your House ...... sounds so fkn creepy

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
This is what the reveal consisted of

- Star trek
- COD Ghost

the Fk?

RhythmikDesigns

I want to see how MS will make the system "more powerful" over time w/ the cloud component. Albeit, Sony can do the same with they Gaikai component. Could be interesting if they can form a partnership with say a company with Otoy, a company where one of their main focus is just this type of thing. And with the supposed 300,000 servers that will be available, could be a possibility.

TokyoHeat

No, The 360 and PS3 case was very different. The 360 actually had a stronger GPU than the PS3. In PS3's court the cell processor was very powerful and could do graphical work. This advantage if used properly would alleviate a lot of the work off the system's GPU bringing it up to parody with the 360's GPU. This was only possible if the developer had the necessary skills to deal with the cell processor's esoteric and non traditional architecture. The PS3's cell processor could also handle physics a lot better than the 360's cpu. The 360 in its court had the advantage over PS3 in regards to being the closest to traditional PC architecture and most developers had trouble working with cell (and still do). Over all the difference in both system's power was generally thought to be around less than a 10% difference by developers.

The setup of the playing field is different now. Both Sony and MS are using the Same AMD (PC) hardware architecture. The only the difference is MS choose cheaper hardware from AMD and by no accident.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Pretty much always-on connectivity - Check.
No support for Xbox O(riginal) or Xbox 360 titles - Check.
Paywall for used titles - not that I buy much anyways - Check.
D-pad looks like it will be just as shitty - Check
Can't transfer your Xbox LIVE Arcade games or your profile's gamerscore - Check.

Yup, looks like I'm sitting out of this next generation for at least 2 to 3 years in.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD