Yu Suzuki shares his thoughts on DOA5 with Yosuke Hayashi

The Verge has shared the Famitsu article showing a discussion between Yu Suzuki and Yosuke Hayashi on Dead or Alive 5. Team Ninja's Dead or Alive 5 (which received straight 9/10 scores in this week's issue of Famitsu magazine) features a number of characters from Sega's Virtua Fighter series. It's a crossover that VF creator Yu Suzuki probably didn't have that much involvement, given that he left Sega a while back and is busy running smartphone/console game producer YS NET. Still, he's always eager to talk fighters, so Famitsu sat him down with Team Ninja head Yosuke Hayashi this week to discuss the collaboration and the state of fighting games in general. Some of the highlights:

yu_suzuki6.jpg

Suzuki seems genuinely impressed by DOA5. "I feel like this is a real evolution, one that features a lot of the latest effects you'd see in Hollywood films right now," he said. "I can see their approach is definitely to heighten the entertainment aspect of the product, and I think that's good. I don't work for Tecmo Koei so maybe this is weird of me to say, but I think they're definitely going in the right direction."
How weird was it for him to see Virtua Fighter characters in the game? "Having characters from a different game world appear in another game is always going to be a bit nerve-wracking for the original creator in terms of retain the original feel and so on, but personally I think it's gone really well, I also have to say, the female characters in DOA5 are pretty cute! I can't deny that it has to be effective for capturing the attention of fighter fans, most of whom are male anyway."

"That's part of our identity, after all," Hayashi added. "I don't want to compare this to other games, but we consciously feel that we need to have the game where the most beautiful characters always show up. It's something that our team really strives for."

To sum up: Although there's no way to tell if he's getting royalties for it, Suzuki really wants you to play DOA5. "My first impression after playing the latest ROM was 'Wow, I can't believe how far games have gotten on consoles,'" he said. It was really impressive. Even if you aren't used to fighting games, you can still mash the buttons and pull out combo moves, so in that way I think it's a really good, entertainment-oriented game."

Source: The Verge

I just thought it strange that the creator of Virtua Fighter would speak so approvingly of masher-friendly gameplay.

Tbh I genuinely do not care what producers think of the game. I want to see if it's
1. Playable
2. Fair
3. Enjoyable

MK9 is none of the above.
SC5 is two of the above.
if DoA5 disappoints me, I'll just sell my ps :D

Yu Suzuki is the designer I most admire in gaming, and team ninja has made a tribute to him by including his characters. It feels good to know he has seen and likes what was done. YS definitely has not been lauded enough as one of the true greats if gaming, but one nice thing is here in Melbourne Australia he is a features creator in a Games Masters exhibition, and it features original cabs of hang on, vf, and outrun is still an amazing experience
Meanwhile well all just keep wishing for Shenmue three

I just thought it strange that the creator of Virtua Fighter would speak so approvingly of masher-friendly gameplay.
He approves because even people who dont play fighting games can enjoy the game and even VF has basic combo strings like P,P,P,P,K. A great fighting game to me has a low entry level while still having enough depth for top level players.

TEKKEN games for example arent this way the difference between a beginner and a person who knows what there doing is night and day. No im not bashing TEKKEN just makin an observation but im not going to sit here lying saying i like the games either.

Tekken games for example arent this way the difference between a beginner and a person who knows what they're doing is night and day.
Same goes for Virtua Fighter, man. Most any fighter with a fanbase would have similar claims from within its community.

Always good to hear from Yu. Now that SEGA may be going under due to financial hardships hopefully they allow him to by the Shenmue rights (like Nintendo did for the Bayonetta publishing rights recently) and we can FINALLY get Shenmue 3.

Ok..this awesome dude..the creator of one of the most serious fighter ever born...is impressed about DOA5? :eek: that shows us that TN not only resurreced the series but
created one of the best fighting games this year, :) I doubt we would all be disappointed when we finally get our hands on it. :)

Same goes for Virtua Fighter, man. Most any fighter with a fanbase would have similar claims from within its community.
Actually no VF5FS for example has some very basic strings for every character as i mentioned and on top of that a tutorial mode much better than any TEKKEN game has ever offered.

VF has this terrible reputation due to the depth the game has at a HIGH level but the truth is it can be enjoyed at any level. I didnt state a top level player what i stated what a person who knows how to play.

Someone new to TEKKEN would get destroyed by the average TEKKEN player. Ive had friends that never played fighting games that enjoyed VF but couldnt stand TEKKEN due to not being able to stand a chance against people who were just average at best.

Once again TEKKEN's a solid game but can be very unforgiving to people who are new to the series.

'Nuff said, I am satisfied, no gamer review in the world matters at this point. Yu Suzuki is genuinely impressed with Dead or Alive 5. YU-FRIGGIN'-SUZUKI!

Best. Compliment. Ever.

@Genesis: He's a fighter, not a masher... get it right! =P

I seemed to do all right against regular Tekken players on my first time playing 6. So... whatever.
Are you talking about online because TEKKEN 6 online was terrible but instead lets use a better example TTT2. The average TTT2 player will just destroy a new player for the reasons i mentioned. TTT2 couldve really benefitted from a better tutorial mode at the very least.

TTT2's netcode is so much of an improvement over TEKKEN 6 and thank goodness. In fact the only thing that im worried about when it comes to DOA5 is how well the game plays online. After playing games like VF5FS and TTT2 online my expectations are on a whole other level.

It was domestic. I don't do a whole lot of online.

I still think that people overestimate the usefulness of tutorials. I always get the basic grasp of a game by actually playing it, then hit the dojo later on for command training or anything I may have missed.

It was domestic. I don't do a whole lot of online.

I still think that people overestimate the usefulness of tutorials. I always get the basic grasp of a game by actually playing it, then hit the dojo later on for command training or anything I may have missed.
Not really we all learn in our own way and some people benefit greatly from a well made tutorial mode.

I still think its genius how VF gives you the option of going through the entire moves list because a lot of the time you memorize and learn new attacks that way. Thats of course if your like me and end up going through it from time to time to check if theres anything you want to add to your arsenal of attacks.

Its very basic but helps a lot of people out especially these days where the instruction booklets dont have the move lists anymore. On top of that it shows you what the moves suppose to look like so you get a good idea of how to perfrom it if you confused.

I dont know if your friends were taking it easy on you but my friends who play TEKKEN are crazy hard to beat if your new to series. VF as i mentioned at least has basic combos for every character which is great because people new to fighting games feel like there doing decent.

If your new to fighting games and play a fighting game that has a steep learning curve your automatically going to be turned off.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD