Yu Suzuki shares his thoughts on DOA5 with Yosuke Hayashi

The Verge has shared the Famitsu article showing a discussion between Yu Suzuki and Yosuke Hayashi on Dead or Alive 5. Team Ninja's Dead or Alive 5 (which received straight 9/10 scores in this week's issue of Famitsu magazine) features a number of characters from Sega's Virtua Fighter series. It's a crossover that VF creator Yu Suzuki probably didn't have that much involvement, given that he left Sega a while back and is busy running smartphone/console game producer YS NET. Still, he's always eager to talk fighters, so Famitsu sat him down with Team Ninja head Yosuke Hayashi this week to discuss the collaboration and the state of fighting games in general. Some of the highlights:

yu_suzuki6.jpg

Suzuki seems genuinely impressed by DOA5. "I feel like this is a real evolution, one that features a lot of the latest effects you'd see in Hollywood films right now," he said. "I can see their approach is definitely to heighten the entertainment aspect of the product, and I think that's good. I don't work for Tecmo Koei so maybe this is weird of me to say, but I think they're definitely going in the right direction."
How weird was it for him to see Virtua Fighter characters in the game? "Having characters from a different game world appear in another game is always going to be a bit nerve-wracking for the original creator in terms of retain the original feel and so on, but personally I think it's gone really well, I also have to say, the female characters in DOA5 are pretty cute! I can't deny that it has to be effective for capturing the attention of fighter fans, most of whom are male anyway."

"That's part of our identity, after all," Hayashi added. "I don't want to compare this to other games, but we consciously feel that we need to have the game where the most beautiful characters always show up. It's something that our team really strives for."

To sum up: Although there's no way to tell if he's getting royalties for it, Suzuki really wants you to play DOA5. "My first impression after playing the latest ROM was 'Wow, I can't believe how far games have gotten on consoles,'" he said. It was really impressive. Even if you aren't used to fighting games, you can still mash the buttons and pull out combo moves, so in that way I think it's a really good, entertainment-oriented game."

Source: The Verge

Depends on who you are, I guess. Some people are excited by steep learning curves, though they usually have been around the block, in terms of general fighting game knowledge.

Depends on who you are, I guess. Some people are excited by steep learning curves, though they usually have been around the block, in terms of general fighting game knowledge.
Agreed its not so bad when youve been around the block but if you havent then it can be pretty frustrating. Its really nice to have some really simple stuff that all the characters can do that you can build on when your new to fighting games.

I mean its no mystery that a lot of people who arent really into fighting games enjoy playing the DOA games. That doesnt mean there isnt any depth for those hardcore fighting game fans its just means the game more accessible for those new to fighting games.

I really cant wait to play DOA5 because as its my second favorite 3D fighting game franchise and the closest to VF gameplay wise. Its going to be really nice being able to switch between VF5FS and DOA5.

Heres a fucking thought ...
Yu suzuki + TN = Shenmue 3 that looks super pretty O__O .. just keep Yu in charge and let him call all the shots.. and let TN handle the visuals...

1) Shenmue rights belong to Sega, but Sega doesn't know the rest of the story.
2) Yu Suzuki knows the rest of the story, but he isn't on the best terms with Sega.
3) To bring the game up to modern graphical standards and push the genre forward (in classic YS fashion) requires a lot of money and work (on top of acquiring the rights from Sega). If anything, games cannot be as big on towns and conversations as before (See Final Fantasy for reference).
4) TN may very well be likely interested, but the huge financial barrier may push them away as profits may be slim after all that effort.

I'm telling you man, I only see this happening if there is outside financial support. I should make that Shenmue investment fund that we were talking about ages ago and organise the transaction for them for free. Get public investors to pool up investments and provide returns on a portion of the return. But the only way this fund would be viable is if a percentage of investors are fans that are willing to forgo some return in hopes of seeing this game. So even with that, chances are slim.

So, pls...stahp.

Heres a fucking thought ...
Yu suzuki + TN = Shenmue 3 that looks super pretty O__O .. just keep Yu in charge and let him call all the shots.. and let TN handle the visuals...
It'll probably be a disaster depending on who in team ninja was working on it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD