Anime/Manga Talk

Xernuht

BTW, was Owari no Seraph actually any good, or is it just another case of 'only good for the soundtrack/visuals'?

Nameless Sama

Currently watching Overlord and Gangsta and I have to admit there are for me one of the best animes this season. Give it a try , there are really good. Its really hard for me to impress myself. But Gangsta has already impress me. Finally the main characters are adults and badasses. Not a single annoying character or where 10 teenage girls try to get together with the protagonist. Especially the tsundere shit. One of the main characters fights with a katana and my love for katanas are to stronk. Gangsta is exact an anime for my style.

Overlord -> Seems pretty nice so far. The story begins with Yggdrasil, a popular online game which is quietly shut down one day; however, the protagonist Momonga decides to not log out. Momonga is then transformed into the image of a skeleton as "the most powerful wizard." The world continues to change, with non-player characters (NPCs) begining to feel emotion. Having no parents, friends, or place in society, this ordinary young man Momonga then strives to take over the new world the game has become. Already watched 2 Episodes. FINALLY not a single annoying character. All characters seems pretty interesting in my opinion. The main character seems very smart and isnt so naive. He fits in the role. I dont know why people are comparing this with SAO or saying it is the same copy/rip-off or maybe I am wrong. But I still think that this anime isnt a copy or rip -off.

You should at least give it a try , if you havent watched it yet. Sorry I was to lazy to read all the posts. If you already talked about these 2 then I want to apologize.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I third that... Gangsta is the truth.

Prison School's anime adaptation was a long time coming... but nothing could prepare me for the fuckery that is Monster Musume. Some ecchi are just too much, even for me.

It's also a damn shame tomorrow's the last new episode of Sailor Moon Crystal that'll be airing for a while. I was looking forward to the Infinity and Dream arc, but it is what it is... still got the classic series to keep up with on Hulu.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
I never laughed so hard in my life.

Prison School is hilarious in an uncomfortable way.

The facial expression is on the borderline of creepy so that it makes you feel slightly uncomfortable but not enough to put you off. I can't explain it haha

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
The ones that I'm currently watching:
Sailor Moon Crystal & Remastered
Dragon Ball Z Kai & Remastered (though the Bruce Faulconer sounds are better)
Dragon Ball Super
Guilty Crown
Deadman Wonderland

I know that there are others. Like Yu Yu Hakusho, Bleach, Samurai Champloo, Inuysasha, Gundam, Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, Kikeider, Ronnin Warriors, Voltron, & Tenchi Muyo. Those are among my favorites beside SM & DB series. I'm looking for more to get into that are action-packed based with fighting, but can't seem to find anymore good ones. Any suggestions? And PLEASE do not mention Naruto. I tried it numerous times, I just can't get into it. Like 40 episodes in the 1st one, twice as many in the 2nd series. As big of a ninja fanatic I am, I can't seem to look past some of the stuff within the series to grow to like it completely.

Last edited:

Kronin

Not sure if you just forgot to mention them considering their extreme popularity, but if you are looking for action shonen anime the "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood" and the recente remake of "Hunter x Hunter" are surely some of the works generally considered between the best ones from the fans of the genre.

If you don't care for old anime I will suggest you even the old series of "Berserk" (there are even some recent OAV, but while very pleasent to watch imo, they rushed too much the part of story told).

For a more recent title you could try to give a look to "Parasyte" (Kiseijuu): the fighting is not the main focus of a more deep work (and however all the battles are treated in a 'realistic' way), but the title includes however an action part in itself.

Another very action packed work trying to follow the path of the survival games depicted in Battle Royale or Hunger Games is 'Btooom!', however I follow the manga but I never attended the anime episodes.

the space cadet

I'm looking for more to get into that are action-packed based with fighting, but can't seem to find anymore good ones. Any suggestions? And PLEASE do not mention Naruto. I tried it numerous times, I just can't get into it. Like 40 episodes in the 1st one, twice as many in the 2nd series. As big of a ninja fanatic I am, I can't seem to look past some of the stuff within the series to grow to like it completely.
I'm going to throw a title out which is perhaps the most polarizing action series in existance: One Piece.

So odds are you (and everyone else) already have an opinion on it. For those that dismiss it, I completely understand, because I was one of those people years ago. For me, it was the stupid looking artwork and the stupid sounding rubber powers of the main character... and even his stupid sounding name, Luffy. I was always like "The artstyle hurts my eyes. A rubber body is lame as fuck. And what the hell kind of name is Luh-fee? What? It's Loo-fee? Even stupider."

However, one day, I stumbled upon this review... http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=1197

That review was an epiphany. It was the first time I had read comments about a series I knew nothing about aside from my own first impressions (which were only based on pictures and artwork), and the subjective comments I had perused in anime forums. It was the first time that I heard the opinions of a true fan of the series, and the perspective in those opinions were highly detailed and thus made sense. What occurs to me now, having watched One Piece up to the current Dressrosa arc, is that the people that flame the hate of One Piece was the exact same person I WAS... an anime fan that never actually watched it. Another demographic that dislikes it are those that gave it a chance, but dropped it after a handful of episodes.

I don't blame any of those fans, because, again, that used to be me.

What it requires, however, is patience and dedication through the early phase. My take on it, is one must hold off on their decision of One Piece's worth until episode 45, which is the end to the Arlong Arc... which was the turning point in the series for me. It was at that point that I finally realized that the review I had read was absolutely correct, and I was an idiot for having judged it on nothing but the artwork and a rubber power.

Romance Dawn Arc (ep 1-3) is just introducing Luffy and Zoro.
Orange Town Arc (ep 4-8) introduces Nami.
Syrup Village Arc (ep 9-17) introduces Usopp

It is within those episodes that someone giving One Piece a try may determine the series is too stupid, or too silly, and decide to drop it. And with that premature decision is their own reassurance that all the "hate" thrown at One Piece was correct. I myself was not convinced at that point either. It's over the course of the next two story arcs that true nature of One Piece starts to surface.

Baratie Arc (ep 18-30) introduces Sanji. This is when the first sign shows up that, to me, separates One Piece from every other action series... it has heart. Its characters are driven by emotion, which, in turn, inflicts you with that same emotion. The characters are filled with pain, and Luffy becomes their path, their journey, to overcome it, to deal with it.

Arlong Arc (ep 31-45) introduces... the brilliance of the villians. More than any other action series I've seen, the villians in One Piece excel for one sole reason: You will TRULY hate their guts. You will grow to despise them. You will feel the agony of the victims. And you will wish with great desire that SOMEONE smashes their bastard faces in. And that "someone" is always Luffy. As the series continues, you will grow to anticipate each and every moment that Luffy beats the fuck out of someone that truly deserves it.

It is at this point that I feel someone can make a legitimate decision about One Piece. Just know that it's a journey, and set sail.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Just started Episode 3. Not quite like Attack on Titan, but I like it more. Mostly because of Shinoa.

Shinoa is freaking awesome haha.

Really? Hmm a lot of people compare it to AoT because its done by the same studio and personalities of characters are similar to attack on titan like:

Yu = Eren
Mika = Mikasa
Guren = Levi

There are different branches of army just like AoT

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
i really wouldn't recommend One Piece as an action series. it has some good fights yes, but in between those are LONG stretches of comedy,drama, derp, etc... its still a great manga, but if you go into it looking for some good fights you'll leave disappointed far before any good ones happen since. the large majority of its action is used for impact and slapstick.

if you haven't already id recommend Code Geass. even though it isn't known for it that show had some great mech fights.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I'm going to throw a title out which is perhaps the most polarizing action series in existance: One Piece.

So odds are you (and everyone else) already have an opinion on it. For those that dismiss it, I completely understand, because I was one of those people years ago. For me, it was the stupid looking artwork and the stupid sounding rubber powers of the main character... and even his stupid sounding name, Luffy. I was always like "The artstyle hurts my eyes. A rubber body is lame as fuck. And what the hell kind of name is Luh-fee? What? It's Loo-fee? Even stupider."

However, one day, I stumbled upon this review... http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=1197

That review was an epiphany. It was the first time I had read comments about a series I knew nothing about aside from my own first impressions (which were only based on pictures and artwork), and the subjective comments I had perused in anime forums. It was the first time that I heard the opinions of a true fan of the series, and the perspective in those opinions were highly detailed and thus made sense. What occurs to me now, having watched One Piece up to the current Dressrosa arc, is that the people that flame the hate of One Piece was the exact same person I WAS... an anime fan that never actually watched it. Another demographic that dislikes it are those that gave it a chance, but dropped it after a handful of episodes.

I don't blame any of those fans, because, again, that used to be me.
I've seen One Piece.
What it requires, however, is patience and dedication through the early phase. My take on it, is one must hold off on their decision of One Piece's worth until episode 45, which is the end to the Arlong Arc... which was the turning point in the series for me. It was at that point that I finally realized that the review I had read was absolutely correct, and I was an idiot for having judged it on nothing but the artwork and a rubber power.

Romance Dawn Arc (ep 1-3) is just introducing Luffy and Zoro.
Orange Town Arc (ep 4-8) introduces Nami.
Syrup Village Arc (ep 9-17) introduces Usopp

It is within those episodes that someone giving One Piece a try may determine the series is too stupid, or too silly, and decide to drop it. And with that premature decision is their own reassurance that all the "hate" thrown at One Piece was correct. I myself was not convinced at that point either. It's over the course of the next two story arcs that true nature of One Piece starts to surface.

Baratie Arc (ep 18-30) introduces Sanji. This is when the first sign shows up that, to me, separates One Piece from every other action series... it has heart. Its characters are driven by emotion, which, in turn, inflicts you with that same emotion. The characters are filled with pain, and Luffy becomes their path, their journey, to overcome it, to deal with it.

Arlong Arc (ep 31-45) introduces... the brilliance of the villians. More than any other action series I've seen, the villians in One Piece excel for one sole reason: You will TRULY hate their guts. You will grow to despise them. You will feel the agony of the victims. And you will wish with great desire that SOMEONE smashes their bastard faces in. And that "someone" is always Luffy. As the series continues, you will grow to anticipate each and every moment that Luffy beats the fuck out of someone that truly deserves it.

It is at this point that I feel someone can make a legitimate decision about One Piece. Just know that it's a journey, and set sail.

I've seen One Piece. I just didn't mention it

Xernuht

Up to episode 4. Thank goodness there's character development.

Shinoa is freaking awesome haha.

Really? Hmm a lot of people compare it to AoT because its done by the same studio and personalities of characters are similar to attack on titan like:

Yu = Eren
Mika = Mikasa
Guren = Levi

There are different branches of army just like AoT

Honestly, I probably would've dropped the show if she hadn't appeared so early. Yu's kind of bland at the start.

TheRealCoxinator

Well Charlotte was shit. The MC was pretty cool and I was liking it until the bitch showed up. Gate is really good. Overlord is amazing. Prison High School is hilarious. The one with demon beetles was pretty shit as well.

the space cadet

i really wouldn't recommend One Piece as an action series. it has some good fights yes, but in between those are LONG stretches of comedy,drama, derp, etc... its still a great manga, but if you go into it looking for some good fights you'll leave disappointed far before any good ones happen since. the large majority of its action is used for impact and slapstick.

if you haven't already id recommend Code Geass. even though it isn't known for it that show had some great mech fights.
Well, we're talking about a series over 600 episodes... of course there are going to be "long stretches" of story. Realistically, there aren't that many action/battles series that excel in both the action and story departments. Generally, you get pretty action scenes accompanied by a shallow story... or, such as Code Geass, you get a pristine story with a couple battle scenes thrown in. I love Code Geass, and consider it one of my all time favorites, but there's only like three good battle scenes through the 50 episodes. Code Geass is about the battle of the mind, not necessarily the battle with (mecha) fists.

I've seen One Piece. I just didn't mention it
Did you see it past the Arlong Arc? If so, then wherever you stand with One Piece is a legitimate opinion. However, the best fights (and this might be what Russian-chiropractic was also referring to) don't occur until hundreds of episodes into the series. It takes until the Enies Lobby Arc (episode 264) before Luffy truly "levels up."

And it takes until the Return to Sabaody Arc (episode 517) before Luffy officially becomes a bad motherfucker. There is the "before" and "after" centered on something called Haki, and the fence is the Return to Sabaody Arc. This video is obviously a spoiler if you haven't gotten this far, but if you're curious...

If One Piece isn't your cup of tea, then I'm with Kronin and would point you towards Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. It's the best of both worlds as it has an amazing story AND sweetass battle scenes.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD