Any early netcode impressions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This being 2012, solid online play is the single most important feature you can have in a fighting game. It took years but Capcom figured it out through a lot of trial and error, and Namco figured it out through a lot of trial and error. I would just like to know if there has been any reports there out in the wild about how the game runs online?

I live in a small rural town and due to work and other obligations I only get to travel to handful of tournaments a year, so quality online play is absolutely critical. As hype as I am for the game, if the online is crap I will just have to pack my bags and go back to VF :(

Raansu

Doubt anyone has had a chance to see how the online netcode works. DoA2U and DoA4's netcodes while not the best in the world they were definitely tolerable and mostly had good connections. One can only hope they don't use that netcode though and go for what SCV used.

synce

The best coding in the world won't fix lag if the other guy's roommate is on youtube :rolleyes: I'm sure it will be better though, when DOA4 came out fighters were just then going online.

d3v

The quality of SCV's netcode however is in part due to it's base input system which has really a long input buffer. What any FG really needs is a predictive system with rollbacks that allows the game to continue without having to wait for sync from both peers on the network. Off course, I've yet to see any 3D fighter do this (there's still variable delay and slow down, even in SCV) outside of that obscure arcade Dragonball Z game by Namco. Meanwhile the only 2D fighters that have successfully implemented this are re-releases of old games (ST, MvC2, 3S) . We're only just seeing this on newer IPs this year (Skullgirls, SFxT).

Blackburry

Standard Donor
DOA4's netcode was always pretty tolerable for me. I still think it's better than MK9's.

MK9's netcode is terrible so that isn't saying much. DOA4's netcode is tolerable but still pretty terrible.Really hoping TN brings their A game with this netcode.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
DOA4's netcode was always pretty tolerable for me. I still think it's better than MK9's.
They both suck IMO.
MK9's netcode is terrible so that isn't saying much. DOA4's netcode is tolerable but still pretty terrible.Really hoping TN brings their A game with this netcode.

Yeah, they're both bad. DOA4 was playable, but it was not rare to suffer sudden lag spikes. MK9 suffers from absolutely ridiculous input lag to the point that it is unplayable online 100% of the time.

So yes, DOA4's online is better than MK9's, but they were both bad.

Zeo

It's been several years, I'm 100% certain it will be better than DOA4's netcode, and that's all I'm asking for.

Of course I've heard great things about SCV's netcode so I'm hoping the quality is on par.

2005 online code vs a 2012 Online code. Hmmmm Does 2005 has a chance?

TN has not been consistently releasing fighters like capcom and namco has in the last few years and it took them quite a few games to get it right. Until I have the game in my hands or reliable impressions, I take nothing on faith.

Pupi18

TN has not been consistently releasing fighters like capcom and namco has in the last few years and it took them quite a few games to get it right. Until I have the game in my hands or reliable impressions, I take nothing on faith.
Dead or Alive Dimensions (3DS) had pretty decent online for it going on the system. My matches were lag free for most of the part.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
The only people outside of the press that have the game so far would be pirates. From what I know, most distributors haven't even received it yet, so stores don't have a chance of breaking street dates. This is only for the US, mind you, but I haven't heard anything from friends in other parts of the world regarding it.

Omegan Eckhart

Netcodes often go terribly wrong, MvC3, STxTK, MK9, even Blazblue's netcoding has gotten worse since Calamity Trigger. Hopefully they don't try and do anything revolutionary cause that is when things really go bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD