Anyone miss DoA5's Power Blow?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I don't miss power blows per say but I do miss Kasumi's base power blow attack 4P+K, you could side step cancel out of it and It was a good attacks for if your opponent was rushing you, and I liked the advantage you could get from charging it

d3v

Considering that they were mostly a half-assed comeback mechanic, one that wasn’t really flexible in terms of use in and out of combos (only one way to hit them in combos, and that required playing tbe stun game, useless outside of them)? No.

Same with CB since the only way to use it was to play the stun game.

extravagant

Power blow wasn't only specifically meant for combo'ing in and out into critical burst though, you could sometimes time that attack to a "T" by punishing people who rushed into you. It was great and you could be sneaky with it by punishing many players and many different ways. It also does way more damage than the supers in DoA6. I wouldn't say it was half assed, it was really great and I destroyed many people using it. I did however, play with many pro DoA players and they said they never use the power blows, and just use counters and counters all day, maybe because of their experience in older games such as DoA2-4

d3v

Power blow wasn't only specifically meant for combo'ing in and out into critical burst though, you could sometimes time that attack to a "T" by punishing people who rushed into you. It was great and you could be sneaky with it by punishing many players and many different ways. It also does way more damage than the supers in DoA6. I wouldn't say it was half assed, it was really great and I destroyed many people using it. I did however, play with many pro DoA players and they said they never use the power blows, and just use counters and counters all day, maybe because of their experience in older games such as DoA2-4
You can do the same with BBs though up. And their lower damage is balanced out by being able BBC, as well as the amount of environmental damage you can get.

Also, in 5 PLs were the better option anyway, since you could get more damage out of them.

That said, who wants to play the stun game if you've the option of decent damage outside of it.

extravagant

You can do the same with BBs though up. And their lower damage is balanced out by being able BBC, as well as the amount of environmental damage you can get.

Also, in 5 PLs were the better option anyway, since you could get more damage out of them.

That said, who wants to play the stun game if you've the option of decent damage outside of it.

Yeah I need to experiment more because I saw some people doing some crazy shit with the new system. I'll take your word for it because you ARE d3v and you make great content ^_^ but, so far I'm just curious why DoA6 only has 1 set win pose and the cinematic / dramatic KO effects are minimized.

Raansu

Yeah I need to experiment more because I saw some people doing some crazy shit with the new system. I'll take your word for it because you ARE d3v and you make great content ^_^ but, so far I'm just curious why DoA6 only has 1 set win pose and the cinematic / dramatic KO effects are minimized.

Budget and time constraints. They only had a year to make this game and they completely overhauled the core mechanics. Doesnt leave much time or money for much else. They have already said they will add more intros and outros in later update.

extravagant

That's good to know, I thought it was only going to be that one win pose for all of DoA6's eternity. I hope they eventually add more costume variety in later too. Right now everything is just color swaps or reused DoA5 costumes. DoA5 had many great costumes so not complaining. I just find it annoying that you have to grind and work your ass off to unlock so many "costumes" when most of them are just color differences. I would've been better if they made it so that if you unlock one costume, you unlock all the colors pertaining to that costume. Instead of unlocking 6/100 or something and there's like 4 million more grinds to unlock possibly a different color of the same costume -___-

d3v

That's good to know, I thought it was only going to be that one win pose for all of DoA6's eternity. I hope they eventually add more costume variety in later too. Right now everything is just color swaps or reused DoA5 costumes. DoA5 had many great costumes so not complaining. I just find it annoying that you have to grind and work your ass off to unlock so many "costumes" when most of them are just color differences. I would've been better if they made it so that if you unlock one costume, you unlock all the colors pertaining to that costume. Instead of unlocking 6/100 or something and there's like 4 million more grinds to unlock possibly a different color of the same costume -___-
You do realize this is the System sub-forum right? Most of this probably belongs in that thread you made in the other section.

Last edited:

legibifou

I really miss them. They were definitely more impressive and spectacular. And I miss the fact that I could choose where to send my opponent in the stage (it's really hard and rare to trigger the T-Rex dangerzone) The specific powerblow's dangerzones were so fun too!

P2p1mbs

When I went back to play a bit of Last round after playing 6, I accidentally kept pressing L1 (where I mapped the S button in 6) expecting to do a Fatal Rush :oops:. And then in 6, I would sometimes do the move that would set Critical Stun back in 5 forgetting that doesnt apply.

Overall though, I dont really mind their removal since Fatal Rush and Break Blows function very similarly though I do miss how Power Blows allow you to set where you send your opponent after hitting them.

Out of the things removed from 5, I actually sort of miss cliffhangers more...

Last edited:

d3v

The removal of the ability to aim them is likely tied to the fact that most hazards you can send people to now lead to extended combos. If that were still in, then we'd probably see everyone burning meter just to consistently get stuff like car loops on Road Rage.

ninemil

Standard Donor

The 6S.H section of the tutorial was where the new game mechanics clicked for me. I hadn't watched much of the technical pre-release footage, so had no idea that you could 6S.H.

Once I'd learnt that was a thing, 6 just feels like 5, but with more options within my old flow.

Leifang feels great for it.

Raansu

I can't really relate to this as I don't understand why people care so much about win poses and costumes. Maybe costumes a little bit, but the intro/outro stuff makes zero sense to me.

Reactions: d3v
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD