Attacking out of stun

SilverForte

Okay folks, I'm looking for some feedback here. I've noticed that I get thrown way too much, I try to stagger escape everything, but end up just getting thrown. I try to fuzzy guard but it's not very consistent. I like to block a lot, it's something that really carried over from other fighters.

I'm mainly concerned about if I should or when I should attack out of stun, it's a completely alien concept for me, to attack at heavy disadvantage, it feels like I'm going against everything I should be doing, yet it seems I have to.

What can I do to adjust to this, any thoughts?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Because of the way the system makes it difficult to evade a throw while coming out of stun due to the speed of crouching. In those cases it's best to do an attack out of stun when you are expecting them to be throwing. Even better if you can attack with a launcher out of stun.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
You are supposed to make a read on your opponent, even when you are stunned. Trying to slow escape only might result in being thrown anyway, either because the opponent is going for a throw with slow startup which will connect late and therefore catch you after recovery if you don't decide to hold, or he's just mashing the throw button because he's like: "Wheres my throw animation at????, is this the lag or my button stucked???"

You do also miss some big damage if you try to fuzzy or slow escape and the opponent wants to grab you with a quicker throw (let's say up to i12), because you often won't land hi-counter hits anymore if you finally decide to retaliate with an attack due to the shorter recovery of these throws.

So if you feel he tries to go for a launch, combo or cb, then you try to hold / slow escape. If you think or noticed he tends to throw you a lot, then you gonna mash your (counter-hit) launcher / high crush button to punish him with an instant juggle. These are usually single hit attacks that won't put you back into stun in case your opponent messes up his own stun extension approach by using a move that is too slow. And as long as you are not using a 7K with 30 frames recovery or higher, you won't get thrown for that if you miss because it's still difficult for him to react to that. Sometimes it's the best just to determine what you gonna go for as soon as you notice you are stunned, rather then trying to 'react' to things.

Last edited:

Lulu

Yeah man.... attack right out of Stun....

So heres something you should know..... when you first start any fighting game there are "Do's" and "Don'ts"..... but as you get better at the game you realise thats just something to help you understand the game.

Ultimately whether a particular strategy is good or bad depends on whether if it succeeds or not. Obviously if you attack out a disadvantage and you get blown up then everybody will be like "What was he thinking :eek:" but if you attack out of disadvantage and you blow up a throw attempt then everyone will be like "That was Genius !!! :)".

Thats just something I think you should know as you get better at this game.

We believe in you buddy !!! ;)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD