[Aug 18, 2012] I’m a Fighter World Championship: Round 2 (San Mateo, CA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renarism

I was wondering if Punishere would show up to lol He avoids me like the plague lately in DOA4 online though due to him being a bit rusty... We should contact him ... You still in SJ?
I'm going to the tournament so idk if I can get casuals in on that day of .... lol r u attending ?

NukNuks

I was wondering if Punishere would show up to lol He avoids me like the plague lately in DOA4 online though due to him being a bit rusty... We should contact him ... You still in SJ?
I'm going to the tournament so idk if I can get casuals in on that day of .... lol r u attending ?

Actually I moved away from SJ a few years ago but I'm back now. I'ma message Big Pun to see if he'll be attending. Or try to convince him at least lol. And I meant that we can get casuals in at the tourney during the free play before it starts. Good thing to know there's another Lei player attending that I can learn from!

Renarism

Actually I moved away from SJ a few years ago but I'm back now. I'ma message Big Pun to see if he'll be attending. Or try to convince him at least lol. And I meant that we can get casuals in at the tourney during the free play before it starts. Good thing to know there's another Lei player attending that I can learn from!

aww man! lol and hell yeah then I'm down..message me and let me know what's up with punishere

Renarism

Drdogg,
how will signups for the tournament work? I'm confused about that -- considering this is my first offline appearance.

DrDogg

Drdogg,
how will signups for the tournament work? I'm confused about that -- considering this is my first offline appearance.

We'll do sign-ups 15 minutes before the start of each pool. Just stick around the DOA area and you won't miss them.

daman077c

Man, after playing Renarism last night, I have serious doubts about going. I'm decent with Leifang; Gunstar Red good? No, but I think I'm close. VPai good? No, but again, I think I'm pretty close. I know I need some work when it comes to her holds and parries, but that said, last night I got completely OBLITERATED by Renarism, and it completely deflated my hype, not only for the tournament, but for 5 as well. I've already read from the several tournaments that were held prior that everybody was "Good at DOA 4" in 5, and that you can play 5 like 4, and that right now is what is leaving a sour taste in my mouth and is making me reconsider (unless someone can REALLY talk me into it) traveling down to HIN.

Obviously, we all play to win, but my thought is: why go, spend money and a ton of time, only know you're not going to win the tournament? I seriously want to see 5 have a good competitive scene, and I want to support that scene, but spending money (which is a non-issue) and playing in a tournament you know you're not going to win just doesn't sit well with me. I've always lived by a quote from the late Ayrton Senna (Formula 1 driver who died whilst racing in 1994):

Ayrton Senna said:
"If you don't come in 1st you come in 2nd or you come in 4th or 5th. I'm not designed to come in 2nd or 3rd or 4th or 5th. I race to win."

Obviously you can change race to play, but that has been my mantra since I was in high school. I could probably use some support right now. ;)

DrDogg

Wasn't your reason for going because you wanted to play the game early? When did winning become a necessity?

If people only traveled to tournaments because they thought they could win, you'd have 100 people at Evo instead of 3,500.

And while you can play DOA5 like it's DOA4, that's only because no one has had much time with DOA5. Within a month of the game releasing, anyone playing like it's DOA4 will be losing.

Bottom line, if you don't go you're probably going to watch. I guarantee you'll wish you were there as you're watching the broadcast, and the month that follows you'll continue to kick yourself for not going.

daman077c

Wasn't your reason for going because you wanted to play the game early? When did winning become a necessity?

If people only traveled to tournaments because they thought they could win, you'd have 100 people at Evo instead of 3,500.

And while you can play DOA5 like it's DOA4, that's only because no one has had much time with DOA5. Within a month of the game releasing, anyone playing like it's DOA4 will be losing.

Bottom line, if you don't go you're probably going to watch. I guarantee you'll wish you were there as you're watching the broadcast, and the month that follows you'll continue to kick yourself for not going.

Partially yes, I wanted to play the game early, but when the prize information was announced, things changed and the competitive side of me took over. Not only that but I also wouldn't be representing just myself, but the internet lounge that I play at.

True that I'd watch; would I be kicking myself for not going if I didn't go, I dunno. E3 I wanted to be a part of if only because it's freakin' E3, and I missed out a few years ago on my one chance of going.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Obviously, we all play to win, but my thought is: why go, spend money and a ton of time, only know you're not going to win the tournament?

It's about going to meet up with friends, socialize, talk about the game, pick up new game skills in person and discuss strategies right there. All of that plus the addition of not having the online anonymity making people look more like assholes than they really are.

I go to meet up with friends and see how they're doing, the tournament isn't even that big of a deal for me besides just seeing how I stack up. Hey, if I win in the process, awesome. Otherwise, it's all about the group dinner afterwards.

Ah, I've been addicted to it for around 6 years now and I don't think it's going to stop anytime soon. It's allowed me to see more of this country and find more ways to figure out a solution to something most would just stop when told 'No'.

DrDogg

Partially yes, I wanted to play the game early, but when the prize information was announced, things changed and the competitive side of me took over. Not only that but I also wouldn't be representing just myself, but the internet lounge that I play at.

True that I'd watch; would I be kicking myself for not going if I didn't go, I dunno. E3 I wanted to be a part of if only because it's freakin' E3, and I missed out a few years ago on my one chance of going.

You're representing the internet lounge in a game you've never played. I don't think anyone can go into something like this expecting to win. You go for the experience, to play the game early, to enjoy HIN and to have fun.

If money isn't an issue, I see no reason to skip this event.

Renarism

Man, after playing Renarism last night, I have serious doubts about going. I'm decent with Leifang; Gunstar Red good? No, but I think I'm close. VPai good? No, but again, I think I'm pretty close. I know I need some work when it comes to her holds and parries, but that said, last night I got completely OBLITERATED by Renarism, and it completely deflated my hype, not only for the tournament, but for 5 as well.

Oh gosh, that made me feel awful. I apologized after you disconnected from the match. Hope to see you at HIN. We can get some casual matches in. ;)

Anyway, this tournament is really looking exciting! A lot of people are attending that I have been wanting to meet for years now. Excited!!

~Renarism

PMSWedge

I'm pretty garbage at this game, or any fighter, at this point (I spent the last 4-5 years playing Guitar Hero/Rock Band) but I'll be there! ;) Someone's gotta be the fodder for the other players...

Anyway, I found out about an arcade that's pretty close by - maybe some of us could meet up here before the event? Might not be able to play DOA specifically, but there's other fighters: http://www.gamecenterarcade.com/

DrDogg

Event update! HIN changed the starting time (again). Doors now open at 3pm with the first qualifying pool starting at 4pm!

Renarism

They keep changing the times back and forth lol just out of curiosity is anyone going to be in the area a day or two early?

~Renarism

daman077c

They keep changing the times back and forth lol just out of curiosity is anyone going to be in the area a day or two early?

~Renarism

If you want to meet me in San Francisco, I get into there at 1:30 in the morning. :p Otherwise, I'll be in San Mateo and by the Events Center at 9ish.

NukNuks

If you want to meet me in San Francisco, I get into there at 1:30 in the morning. :p Otherwise, I'll be in San Mateo and by the Events Center at 9ish.

Daaaaamn son you might as well meet me at the arcade if you're gonna be there that early. That's a lot of time to kill even before they start letting us play at 3.

daman077c

Daaaaamn son you might as well meet me at the arcade if you're gonna be there that early. That's a lot of time to kill even before they start letting us play at 3.

Yeah, it's because I have to take Greyhound; if I leave Saturday, I won't get to San Mateo until 6:30 - 7ish, and the tournament will be half over by then. So, I get to kill a lot of time. >_<

IceMage95

So now the doors open at 3? Geez. Anyhow I'll make it :D. Just read the article about how people like Vanessa, Kayane, sWooZie, and NinjaCW are showing up. Pretty excited to meet some people I've admired on the TV screen during CGS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD