DOA5LR Ayane Combo Discussion

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Very nice work on the viable combo video, and the combo list. I can re-edit the OP update the list with yours, if you want me to. All that I ask though is to know exactly what's universal, what hits light and mid weight, and what hits heavyweight.

Ayane

the only thing that changes are the combos u can do off of the different launches. so I updated the beginning of my other post to better describe what launch finisher works on what weight classes and when.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
The only problems that I'm having with Ayane is trying to trigger a CB I did only 1, but have to work in order to trigger it. I use 6P+K K PP & 6P+K then string together a combo. Other than her stun game to sound off a CB, I have no trouble with her. Just wanting to learn everything about her because she's my main & she's gonna take me as far as I wanna go. What's some more better ways to trigger it?

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Just mix things up far enough to land a Critical Burst if that's what you're really aiming for. Ayane is a character that doesn't need a Critical Burst for damage anyway.

XDest

The only problems that I'm having with Ayane is trying to trigger a CB I did only 1, but have to work in order to trigger it. I use 6P+K K PP & 6P+K then string together a combo. Other than her stun game to sound off a CB, I have no trouble with her. Just wanting to learn everything about her because she's my main & she's gonna take me as far as I wanna go. What's some more better ways to trigger it?

Think back to when you played me (GreaterTurtle). You'll notice I almost exclusively go for stun->launch, and this character has good enough damage off stun->launch to allow that. Ayane doesn't really need CB.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Think back to when you played me (GreaterTurtle). You'll notice I almost exclusively go for stun->launch, and this character has good enough damage off stun->launch to allow that. Ayane doesn't really need CB.
Lol I was wonder who that was. That's when I was basically starting out & really didn't understand the game good. But yeah I guess I'll just play her game the way I've been playing. The more I break her down, the better it gets though

Female Tengu

But what's the point of the system if a character can't use it properly. Having a BT CB would be a nice option.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
If a character can reliably earn good damage without "needing" a Critical Burst. I'd definitely say that is a good thing, and it's another reason why this character is so strong.

XDest

You need to realize that DOA is actually the game with the most universal tools of any fighter out there. I think it's a real flaw of the game. It makes many characters way too samey. Thankfully they're trying to dial it back a bit with DOA5 (no more universal OH).

Anyways, even though a universal tool exists, does not mean it's optimal or efficient for every character to use. Some characters have great critical burst setups, and have a need to get them. Ayane can do CB setups, but it's not really that efficient for her to do so, and she doesn't need them anyways.

The moment you get 90+ for free off a CH 3F+K, you kind of stop caring about things like that.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
If a character can reliably earn good damage without "needing" a Critical Burst. I'd definitely say that is a good thing, and it's another reason why this character is so strong.
But it's definitely good that she has that option also. That's just 1 more option that she has to be deadly. Thanks for the tips.

TheLoneMortal

Found some interesting combos for Ayane in this video (skip to 2:23 for Ayane). Good amount of them are already known, but there are some pretty good ones like the combos off of 46H at 3:29 and 3:46.

dawnbringer

But what's the point of the system if a character can't use it properly. Having a BT CB would be a nice option.

Ayane benefits from CB. When reaching critical threshold opponent will more likely try to hold CB move instead of high/kick launchers. This makes her launchers stronger. You can throw one in a while just to scare your opponent.

Also, CB > "Hmph!" Taunt is very strong option.

dawnbringer

If I had to master only 5 combos, which ones should I chose?

Sorry I'm not answering directly right now. This game requires great combo variety to get the most damage out of situations.

Guaranteed stuff starts with a launcher mostly. First you need to find out which 5 launchers you can land reliably during a fight. And this depends on your play style.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
If I had to master only 5 combos, which ones should I chose?

It's best to know what your juggle options are from any launcher you opt for. For example, if you hi crush with 4P, you'll have BTPP4PP7K (Ayane's BT BnB juggle) and BTPP2PK available to you. If you hi crush with 8K, you have PPPK and PP6PK for juggles.

Plus, DOA has the easiest juggles to perform so nothing is difficult to do as far as juggles are concerned. Knowing how to do a larger variety of juggles is a good thing. Knowing what juggle(s) to use midscreen, when enclosing a wall/object, or when by the wall are all important as well.

If you're midscreen and launch with say, BT4K, then you would do BTPP6KK4, 7K as a midscreen juggle. If you are enclosing an object or wall and launch with BT4K, you'd juggle with BTPP4PP7K (universal) to maximize juggle and environment damage.

XDest

We're doing this. Ayane has guaranteed force techs off everything, gg. DOA5 Ayane is a goddamn monster.

Combo ender height chart: Lowest to highest
- 4P..2K
- BT PP6P..2K
- 4P2K
- BT PP6P2K
- PP2PK
- 1PK
- BT 6P -> 4P..2K
- BT 6P -> 4P2K
- BT 6P -> 1PK
- BT 4P -> PP6P..2K
- BT 4P -> PP6P2K
- BT 4P -> PP2PK (is this possible off anything?)

64F+P -> 4P+K -> 4P -> PP6P..2K (bokuho throw is back?)

Force techs can also be done late in the threshold automatically.
3P -> 66KK4 -> PP2PK

- Also, 2P / BT 2P (+9/+17) resets are godlike, use them.
- Also, you can kara throw 64F+P with a simple 664F+P. Which means you can do that after a force tech, just to put them into another force tech.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
NOTE: When using 64H+P/64H > 4P+K > BT4P > BTPP6P..2K.

Above works on mid weights. The following works on light weights;

64H/64H+P > 4P+K > BT4P > BTPP2PK.

Also, just adding your bit you left out, Xdest. Ayane can go for force techs after a normal hit 3H+K or counter hit 3H+K.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD