Character Customization

UNDERX

I understand that, But a priority is also selling a lot right ? DOA is a fantastic game and I am not arguing gameplay is not important, Ranssu your being a little dramatic lol - I think, CC would be Fun, Cool, and it will give DOA a chance to break outside of it's limited appeal! Again you guys are saying gameplay, gameplay gameplay and I cant argue with that, But lets assume for a second gameplay is done, its guaranteed. CC mode would be a wonderful edition and would help the DOA franchise because people (kids) could make a fighter that they can relate with.

You guys are being so dramatic, Gameplay gameplay Ofcourse gamplay is important its the most important thing, but that said, saying I dont like CC mode i dont think its a good idea, NO i disagree. Look at TEAM ninjas Facebook right now... Its less than 5,000 Likes... CC mode is exactly what DOA 5 needs to bring in massive appeal, that and big names for gues characters like big, like superman big! Im just thinking about whats best for the franchise! AND DUH i know gameplay is important! Relax Raan..

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
But a priority is also selling a lot right ?

Not as a player, no. Your priority is wanting to play a game that is not bad. If the game is good, it will sell by itself.

I think, CC would be Fun, Cool, and it will give DOA a chance to break outside of it's limited appeal!

It's current appeal is 90% fanservice based. How is adding more fanservice going to break its limited appeal to hardcore gamers? The peak of competitive play in soul calibur was SC2. When they began adding tons of fanservice elements in 3, they neglected gameplay and the game died a very fast death. SC4 had a crossplatform release to help it along with a few minimal refinements, but it too was slated towards fanservice first and couldn't hold up under the long haul.

I know you're familiar with these games, so these should be lessons you have already learned by now. Short term Sales did not help the games lifespan, and lifespan is more important then sales as a player.

Again you guys are saying gameplay, gameplay gameplay and I cant argue with that, But lets assume for a second gameplay is done, its guaranteed.

It's not done. They are in pre-alpha and currently have absolutely nothing solid to show us at all -- they have come out and admitted this already, and to great respect.

CC mode would be a wonderful edition and would help the DOA franchise because people (kids) could make a fighter that they can relate with.

In your opinion. Kids also like sending things smashing through walls and glass, and explosions, and ninjas, etc. If they need someone they can relate to, there is an entire cast of characters already present.

Right now the game is bad from a gameplay standpoint. Resources should not be squandered on broken features right now.

The reason their facebook page has less then 5,000 likes is because they created fighting games that do not appeal to fighting gamers.

I long for the day when create-a-character can work, without tons of graphical errors, in a solid fighting game with minimal strain on actual development... but the fact is, it does. When DOA becomes solid enough that this is no longer a massive threat to the games well being, I would be happy to re-visit the concept.

Until then, preexisting-character customization seems like a happy compromise. It doesn't take up nearly as many resources, it doesn't cause nearly as many graphical errors since each clothing piece was tailored to that specific model, and you can still express yourself in a unique manner.

Raansu

I'm not being dramatic, I'm simply stating that create a character mode is a waste of time and resources, and its not some massive appealing feature that you make it out to be. So no, its not what doa5 needs for "massive appeal." What it needs is good game play and to be visually appealing. People who play fighting games care about how a game looks and plays and any random person that picks up a game will more likely pick it up because of how the game looks, not because they can create some character.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Honestly, if they had the additional resources to do that, I would rather they just re-released every single level they have ever created from DOA2U and onward with updated textures, as well as the new ones with DOA 5, in one complete game.

THAT would get my fanboy engine running.

R4712-VR88

I would rather they just re-released every single level they have ever created from DOA2U and onward with updated textures, as well as the new ones with DOA 5, in one complete game.

THAT would get my fanboy engine running.

Agreed. There's plenty of games out that could just reuse stuff from previous titles and keep fans happy, and DOA is no exception. DOA has alot of stuff in its series that would be awesome to have transfered over to DOA5. Stages, costumes, music, etc. Sometimes you really don't have to create new stuff to make money.

UNDERX

Im sorry if you can't see it but it would a great addition, For some strange reason you guys are just against creating your own character (as if thats a bad thing) but hey I let you have it! I still think it would be great and have yet to hear a good reason why it wouldnt other than resource this and that which is a lame argument point, cause anybody can throw in your face. Old stages why bother they should focus on gameplay... Weak!

And Ninja Gaiden is already getting some customization so look like thier mentality is on path with mine, embrace it CC mode would be awesome and you guys would use the hell out of it if it was in DOA5 so...

Awesmic

Standard Donor
UnderX, I'm not here to bash your suggestion, but you gotta understand there IS plenty of time to focus on the cosmetics involving the game much later on, if it's necessary. You could be right about character customization being a strong selling point for the game, but for right now, please try to understand this game NEEDS some TLC as far as gameplay suggestions go, especially given the history.

And while you're accusing Raansu of being dramatic, try not to be so dramatic yourself. Not everyone is against you just because of a disagreement on what's more important with the game's overall development. And you may not realize it, but you double-posted, while also comparing a fighting game to an action-platformer, to boot.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Not everyone is against you just because of a disagreement on what's more important with the game's overall development.

Wow Awesmic, I'll be honest: I'm shocked that you, of all people, said that.

Other than that, carry on.

@UNDERX

In the future, try to use the edit option if no one has posted after you and you would like to add to your previous post.

Berzerk!

I think its important to remember that gameplay vs cosmetics are not Either/Or propositions, and Team Ninja are an "A" developer. What's more, Hayashi has commented that their staff count has increased to handle the workload. They can walk and chew gum at the same time.

On the specifics, as a fan, I'm actually not fussed about a fully fledged character creation mode, but I'm all for high levels of customisation along the item/costume/colour playbook ala VF5. I'm sure the DOA version can increase the accessibility of that.

I think the idea of releasing old stages as DLC will be great for them and I agree with Rikuto, that would excite and interest me more than most anything else due to the huge factor that stages have in the actual gameplay of DOA. Not to mention how engaging and evocative they can be visually.

With the new gameplay elements dealing with ledges, old stages could become even more interesting. And yes, I trust they can get the gameplay right at the same time.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I don't blame you.

I admit that I acted and felt the same way he did on subjects like this until a few months ago. Now that I've changed, that's all the more reason I can relate with how both parties feel, making it easier for me to be the voice of reason.

Note that I haven't trashed on his idea once in my post, 'cause that's not what I would've wanted.

R4712-VR88

Im sorry if you can't see it but it would a great addition

I agree that I think it'd be cool but I'm also more with everyone else simply wanting the gameplay to be better. And well, like Rikuto said, if the gameplay does improve then we can start looking at new features for the series. We just definitly want to make sure that DOA5 finally gets the kind of gameplay it truely needs.

Also DOA already does have alittle customization to it. Such as Kasumi and Lei-Fang with their hair-styles. I think it'd be great if they expanded that with the other characters and not just those two. And speaking of hair, BRUNETTE TINA AND KASUMI PLEASE! XD

Zero254

Hairstyles limited to like 3 characters is not cool man.

I'll go for some customization. Heck, I'll go for alter ego's as costumes for the regular characters.

UNDERX

Other than that, carry on.

@UNDERX

In the future, try to use the edit option if no one has posted after you and you would like to add to your previous post.
Your shocked ? What do you mean by that ?

Raansu

Im sorry if you can't see it but it would a great addition, For some strange reason you guys are just against creating your own character (as if thats a bad thing) but hey I let you have it! I still think it would be great and have yet to hear a good reason why it wouldnt other than resource this and that which is a lame argument point, cause anybody can throw in your face. Old stages why bother they should focus on gameplay... Weak!

And Ninja Gaiden is already getting some customization so look like thier mentality is on path with mine, embrace it CC mode would be awesome and you guys would use the hell out of it if it was in DOA5 so...

-There's nothing to see. It's not a game changing feature that will suddenly get peoples attention and its simply a waste of time. There's more important and better things to add to the game than something as stupid as create a character.

-No, it would not be awesome, and no I really wouldn't use it. I've been using Hitomi since she was introduced in DoA3, why would I bother creating a character over using my favorite character that I have been using for 10 years? Stop day dreaming over a ridiculous feature that doesn't belong in fighters.

UNDERX

-There's nothing to see. It's not a game changing feature that will suddenly get peoples attention and its simply a waste of time. There's more important and better things to add to the game than something as stupid as create a character.

-No, it would not be awesome, and no I really wouldn't use it. I've been using Hitomi since she was introduced in DoA3, why would I bother creating a character over using my favorite character that I have been using for 10 years? Stop day dreaming over a ridiculous feature that doesn't belong in fighters.

I knew it, You are to attached to your character and dont wont something new! I knew that thats what it was! Guess what Ure limiting DOA ! And if Hitomi is so precious to you, and you just proved that people to make a visual connection with there character which is an important aspect of fight games on a physiological level!

People like to identify with their characters, CC mode is hands down to most valuable new feature that all fight games should have (It was led by SC and proven to be awesome) and like i said earlier just because ure limited mentality wont let you see that does not mean anything!

Some people are just not good at accepting change its ok! But still you have yet to say anything Negative and logical about CC !

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I knew it, You are to attached to your character and dont wont something new! I knew that thats what it was! Guess what Ure limiting DOA ! And if Hitomi is so precious to you, and you just proved that people to make a visual connection with there character which is an important aspect of fight games on a physiological level!
Raansu likes Hitomi and all, but his passion for the character isn't exactly borderline obsession compared to someone else in this thread.

Even so, he has nothing to prove. Knowing how to play his character regardless of the matchup is plenty enough to satisfy him, though he would like some variety in costumes every once in a while.

People like to identify with their characters, CC mode is hands down to most valuable new feature that all fight games should have (It was led by SC and proven to be awesome)
Virtua Fighter 4 was the fighting game that pioneered character customization in fighting games, not Soul Calibur.

Raansu

@Underx
I like Hitomi for her fighting style, not for her visual appeal. Unlike you, I only care about the mechanics of the game. I am not limiting doa, people like you limit doa by asking for more fan service (which this game has too much of already). I don't want another doa4. I want a solid fighter, and we wont get one if they are too busy catering to an aspect of a game that most people will either ignore, or BS in for 10 minutes only to never use the created character.

And your SC example is terrible btw. Create a character in SC3 and 4 were extremely buggy and most definitely not a valuable part of the game. Hardly anyone used it, and the few people that did use it just copy and pasted other peoples ideas. Oh, and lets not forget both SC 3 and 4 were terrible games and the community mostly just tolerated it, because like us, its all they got right now.

Create a character is a waste of time and resources that can be put to better use elsewhere. I'm going to say this again. People don't look at a fighting game and go "Oh look, I can create a character in this game." It's not a selling point for fighting games. People who are even looking at fighting games to begin with are looking for a beat em up title to BS in, or people like me who enjoy fighting games and enjoy breaking down the mechanics and learning the ins and outs of the system. Your obsession with such a useless feature is just weird and extremely creepy.

@Awesmic
Honestly, I don't really care if Hitomi has 2 costumes or 8. I generally just stick with her default denim jacket or whatever default 1 costume they give her. I pick her because I enjoy her fighting style, and it works best with my aggressive game play. It's the same reason I use Steve in TK, or Jacky and Akira in VF.

And how the hell did this thread get caught up in such a stupid discussion anyways? Can we get back to talking about the original topic and what matters most about this game? Casuals will be casuals, but in the end its the solid mechanics that will keep this game alive. If we don't get solid game play, then the game will have the same fate as doa4 and die off. I for one want this series to stop being ridiculed and be taken serious for once. DoA3.1 could of been that title, but unfortunately it launched in a timeline when fighters were stagnant, and on a unpopular console.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Your shocked ? What do you mean by that ?

If you read my post correctly, then you would know I wasn't referring to you about being shocked. I even stated in the start of my post, "Wow, Awesmic...". That immediately states direction of the proceeding statement towards Awesmic.

The part of the post that was addressed to you was proceeding the "@UNDERX". I have no idea what your current problem is.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I feel like we're ganging up on UNDERX which I don't feel is a good way to expand our community so I'm going to try and be the civil one for once.

I knew it, You are to attached to your character and dont wont something new! I knew that thats what it was! Guess what Ure limiting DOA!
Like some of the other people have said, visual appeal isn't what's holding DOA back at the moment. There's lots of eye candy and the costumes the developers will come up with will most likely be infinitely more creative than 99% of any created in a CC type mode.

Some people are just not good at accepting change its ok! But still you have yet to say anything Negative and logical about CC !
It's not change that we're afraid of, in fact, we're demanding change but just in regards to the gameplay and we're reluctant to have the developer take away resources from items that need infinitely more attention at the moment. Especially considering that what we have seen, looks exactly the same as the last two games which were horrible. Our priorities with the game right now are to have it play well. Even without CC, it's still visually appealing to most people.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD