Considering Time Zones for Events?

Crext

Standard Donor
Hello, over the last months I've noticed something. Every time there is an EU event we usually state it as such in local time, and our US counterparts usually do the same. I am wondering if we perhaps should try and start to state both an US time and an EU time when setting up time and date, in order to make things seem more professional?

The rational behinds it is of course that most Europeans are not used to the US time zones by name, and vice versa, and to figure out what time it would be we would have to know where they place in the UTC or according to CET. (As in PST (Pacific Standard Time) would on it's own say little about how big a gap it is between that and say CET (Central European Time). On the other side Londoners know London time is 1 hour before CET, just like US peeps know PST is 2 hours before CST, as an example.

In the EU we usually go with CET / UTC +1 for international interests, however in the US I have figured out you may present it with up to 4 different time zones, and that sometimes makes it difficult to figure out (without going through time converting pages) what time different events would be.

Seeing as winter and summer time is the same in both regions, the math would be like this in 99% of the cases:

PST (Pacific Standard Time) :6: Get CET by adding 9 hours.
MST (Mountain Standard Time (This includes Canada)) :6: Get CET by adding 8 hours.
CST (Central Standard Time) :6: Get CET by adding 7 hours.
AST (Atlantic Standard Time) :6: Get CET by adding 6 hours.

Also, if one want to be really professional about it, Europe usually use "military time" as in say 22:00 or 2200 rather than 10 pm.

I am wondering if we on the page here can come to an agreement of presenting events that may apply to both regions (Like training sessions, the larger events streams, etc.) as both an US time and an EU time?

I'd just believe it would reflect positively on the community as a whole if we manage to elevate our presentation somewhat in regards to this. Of course, there may be other quick solutions to this as well (like maybe having a converter clock up in the corner or something), so feel free to state alternative suggestions, or if you feel the need really isn't there that is arguable as well.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD