Couple of cereal questions

So I stopped playing doa for a while for few gameplay reasons. I could go into detail about that later, but I won't. Instead I'm going to give it another go. Before I dive back in could someone help me understand some things. Where are you on frames after free cancel. Like it feels like many strings are plus if you free cancel.
What moves jail you?
How many i-frames do you have on wake up. I've forced teched someone and had my next attack go through them.
If I can get answers I can reevaluate my play style and adapt.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
The vast majority of moves are negative. Free canceling won't change that. It's just used once you've already conditioned them to not press buttons there by doing the followup after a delay. So if you normally do something like 6P~(delay)~P and they don't do anything in between (because they would get CH by the second attack), you've gained the respect to do 6P Freecancel 5P, even though the other guy can press half his butttons and beat the 5P.

It's very specific what jails and what doesn't. There's no real rule for it. Gotta go in training mode and test against each one. Just record the enemy doing the string, then block part of it standing and try to crouch block or crouch jab immediately after.

A lot. If you're going to force tech, learn the timing or use a move that is slow enough to do the timing for you.

Makes sense. Will do buddy! Though the jailing thing is wonky. Like I can 2p Hitomi's 6K K string, but not her 6k 2k, although it's not a true block string. Or am I wrong in thinking that.

Lulu

The Wake Up Kicks are invincible for 20 Frames I believe however they are not invincible to Downed Attacks (:2::P:, :2::K: and :8::P+K:)

The Mid Wake up kick is safe and can't be punished because it pushes the opponent back..... the low wake kick however can be punished but you gotta be ready for it.... its easy to miss your oppertunity.

Wake Up Kicks are liable to trade with or get beaten by other attacks that do the same damage or more..... however this only happens when they go active at the same. Low wake up kicks can be Low Crushed.

And last but not least, watchout for Special Wake Up attacks, most character's have Orientation Specific Wake Up attacks, for example, While Tina and Mila are lying flat on their faces in your direction, they can tackle you with an Offensive Hold.

And thats everything I know about Wake Ups...... oh wait.... one more thing, this is something I rarely see but as long as you don't quick tech a knock down, you can roll forward, left or right and then still perform a wake up kick afterwards. I don't know why I never see this

The Wake Up Kicks are invincible for 20 Frames I believe however they are not invincible to Downed Attacks (:2::P:, :2::K: and :8::P+K:)

The Mid Wake up kick is safe and can't be punished because it pushes the opponent back..... the low wake kick however can be punished but you gotta be ready for it.... its easy to miss your oppertunity.

Wake Up Kicks are liable to trade with or get beaten by other attacks that do the same damage or more..... however this only happens when they go active at the same. Low wake up kicks can be Low Crushed.

And last but not least, watchout for Special Wake Up attacks, most character's have Orientation Specific Wake Up attacks, for example, While Tina and Mila are lying flat on their faces in your direction, they can tackle you with an Offensive Hold.

And thats everything I know about Wake Ups...... oh wait.... one more thing, this is something I rarely see but as long as you don't quick tech a knock down, you can roll forward, left or right and then still perform a wake up kick afterwards. I don't know why I never see this
Those I knew. But I was talking about the i-frames after force tech. But this is good too.

Lulu

Oh thats what you meant.

I don't know.... I don't think I've had so much advantage after a force tech that a move would go through the opponent.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
I don't think it's a jailing issue if you're talking about something like 6K2K. Hitomi 6KK is a mid high string. That's why you can 2P, 'cause your 2P puts you in crouching so you go under the high. 6K2K is mid low, so you just get hit 'cause you can't crush it. It's not an issue of jailing, you're just getting frame trapped. Jailing is like Pai's PP, where even if you know they're gonna do PP, you block the first P, you still can't crouch the second P.

Giannola

Yeah but I can't low crush it either.
I saw this and was curious. You're talking about hitomis 6k2k,right? Eliot can reliably crush the sweep with his h+k. So it definitely does not jail. although what can crush it is probably pretty character dependant, as I first tried leifangs 9kk and 7k and neither can reliably crush that low sweep (but those moves are always kinda weird as to what lows they crush)

Milas 3h+k also crushes it reliably.

Last edited:
Yeah I just came back from some fights. You can't crush it with Tina's 4k if you've already blocked the first part of the 6k 2k string.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Honestly, I wouldn't rely on low crushes in the vast majority of situations. If you are so confident, just block it and punish instead. Or hold it. Low crushes require timing and a lot are super slow to actually get to crush frames. Just block. Blocking is godlike.

Lulu

Lol they're not wrong.

For the most part I agree.... except for the "Random" part. I mean I can't think of any Fighting Game I would describe as random...... and I played Ultimate Ninja Storm 3. Its awful.... but it wasn't random.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD