Couple of newbie questions.

Beelzenef

Hey, I'm new to this game and forums. I have played a bit of DOA in the past but never too seriously. Decided to try and actually learn this game and I have a couple of questions.

1. Why is nobody playing this game on an arcade stick? I have one at home and It's the first time I see a fighting game where the majority of the community prefers a pad. Is there any particular reason for that?

2. What are some easy, basic characters that are good for beginners learning the game. I really like Helena and Leifang because of their looks and move list but I heard they are complex and not beginner friendly. Is there any recommended easy character to pick up before moving to more difficult ones?

3. Any general tips for a beginner that wants to learn the game would be helpful, I have played a lot of fighting games over the years so I'm not inexperienced with the genre, just this particular game.

Thanks in advance!

Giannola

Hey, I'm new to this game and forums. I have played a bit of DOA in the past but never too seriously. Decided to try and actually learn this game and I have a couple of questions.

1. Why is nobody playing this game on an arcade stick? I have one at home and It's the first time I see a fighting game where the majority of the community prefers a pad. Is there any particular reason for that?

2. What are some easy, basic characters that are good for beginners learning the game. I really like Helena and Leifang because of their looks and move list but I heard they are complex and not beginner friendly. Is there any recommended easy character to pick up before moving to more difficult ones?

3. Any general tips for a beginner that wants to learn the game would be helpful, I have played a lot of fighting games over the years so I'm not inexperienced with the genre, just this particular game.

Thanks in advance!
Hello, I'm no expert but maybe I can try to give my opinion.

1. Stick vs pad; it's really a matter of preference I play on pad personally, but some use stick. Really comes down to What you feel comfortable with...To put it more clearly, yes, if you have a stick and feel comfortable using it, there is no in game limitations to using one.

2. I've heard some say hitomi is new player friendly. Momiji has stances(which may be why hitomi/Rachel are more recommended to new players [lack of stances] I'd say try all these characters in combo training and arcade mode and see which you feel comfortable with.... although as a leifang main myself, I believe lei is worth learning if you like her.

3. Do tutorial mode if you haven't already. Exploit the triangle system as much as you can. strikes beat throws, holds beat strikes, throws beat holds.

That's what I know, maybe others can be more help.

Last edited:

UpSideDownGRUNT

DOA is mostly designed to be pad friendly, always has been plus it makes the game alot more accessible.

I'd recommend Hitomi, Ein, Rachel and maybe Hayate all of these characters are easy to use and don't really get too complicated at all. I recommend Hitomi the most though since she is a bit of a jack of all trades, she's the main character in Tutorial mode for a reason after all.

This is an easy one, go into training mode and turn on Fight Details this shows you frame data, damage, level of stun, attack type all of the good stuff study your chosen characters moveset and try to figure out what you can and can't do.

Another good tip is to practice fundamentals, getting to grips with the triangle system will work wonders and if you have people to play offline even better, otherwise there's a plethora of knowledgeable players on this site that can probably help you out online.

Thanks in advance!
No problem.

Beelzenef

Tried looking for characters with small movelists and Momiji caught my eye as well, is she also a fine choice for a beginner or should I stick to Hitomi/Rachel for now? I noticed there is a lot of information about Momiji in her respective sub forum, more so than a most other characters.

And, as far as I understand from your responses, there is no reason not to play this game on an arcade stick if I have one. Doesn't sound like any one method is superior to the other.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor

The competitive community really grew during the DOA3, DOA2U, and DOA4 eras. All of these games were Xbox exclusive. Due to that, there were little to no peripherals provided back in that day that would be beneficial to Arcade Stick. You generally would have to buy a PS2 stick then use a laggy converter to play it on the Xbox. In addition, the game was designed with controller in mind on all three of these games. The buffering system was relatively large, and you could control the character with both analog sticks and the d-pad. The multiple directional control was something that helped out when doing difficult movements such as the raijin by doing the 360 on the d-pad, hitting :6::4: on the RS, :2::8: on the LS, :9::1: on RS, and :7::3: on LS with a controller that had its d-pad always take your notations as a suggestion instead of a command.

For the record, I use arcade stick to play on DOA5, but there are some benefits to pad use such as quieter noise so the opponent in a tournament doesn't know you're stagger escaping. I just prefer hitting 3 buttons to play the game instead of having to set up 6 on a pad.

Since you have an arcade stick, what kind of characters do you play in other fighting games? What kind of playstyle are you looking to play? There's not necessarily an "easy" or "basic" character as you'll be playing the system more than the character. You'll just be adapting to the system based on your character choice. For example, Rachel doesn't have many strings or attacks and due to that she is able to cause a lot of 50-50 force-guess situations that one can call "simple". Bass plays a very mid / mid-long range game due to his speed defeciency so you'll be playing a very high risk high reward game with him. Akira is technical to control but can get around the stun system by doing launches at any threshold point to cause good damage. Sometimes a character just will click with you. For example, I always have wanted to learn Mila but her game is too awkward for me as I'm so used to slow throwing characters like Bass, but that doesn't mean someone else isn't able to pick her up and make her look god like.

Starting off obviously Tutorial mode will help you understand that system as an overview. Then do command training with a character you think you'd like to pick up. Then do their trial combos. From there go into sparring mode and learn their single attack pokes to see what the properties are. Besides checking if they are disadvantage on guard and their hit level of course. Something to keep in mind with DOA is that an attack's properties change by the state of the opponent. What hits on an opponent can change the hit stun animation depending on if the opponent was standing still, crouching, back turned, in critical state, throwing, back to a wall, or the point in the critical threshold. So you may find an attack that works best when the opponent is already in stun, or been placed back-turned, etc. Experiment. I recommend going through the tests on the Sky City Tokyo or Aircraft Carrier Base stages as those provide a lot of room to train in open space but provide walls for practice in that regard. Set the AI to always be counter hit since most times in this game it will be counter or higher. Then learn some combos. Remember that critical stuns have each of their own properties: from length of stun, to being able to be sped up by stagger escaping, to being able to be held out of at some point by defensive holding, to changing the player's state by being back-turned or force-crouched. It will just take practice.

As an example to things to be aware of and going through your character's toolset, here's a tutorial video on Honoka. It goes over her basics but you can apply the thought processes to other characters and see what you find:

Beelzenef

Wow, that was really helpful, thanks!

Since you have an arcade stick, what kind of characters do you play in other fighting games? What kind of playstyle are you looking to play? There's not necessarily an "easy" or "basic" character as you'll be playing the system more than the character. You'll just be adapting to the system based on your character choice. For example, Rachel doesn't have many strings or attacks and due to that she is able to cause a lot of 50-50 force-guess situations that one can call "simple". Bass plays a very mid / mid-long range game due to his speed defeciency so you'll be playing a very high risk high reward game with him. Akira is technical to control but can get around the stun system by doing launches at any threshold point to cause good damage. Sometimes a character just will click with you. For example, I always have wanted to learn Mila but her game is too awkward for me as I'm so used to slow throwing characters like Bass, but that doesn't mean someone else isn't able to pick her up and make her look god like.

Usually I like rushdown characters with great mixups that pressure the opponent (Mitsuru in Persona Arena, Nova/Vergril in MVC, Akuma in SF) or mobile characters with great pokes that excel in spacing and footsies (Vega/Bison in SF). I was drawn to Helena and Leifang because Helena seemed to me like the former type and Leifang like the latter, correct me if I'm wrong. Since posting this thread I have toyed with Momiji and I'm liking her as well so far. If there are any other characters that fit this description I would be glad to know.

Basically you are saying that I shouldn't look for a basic characters because I can learn the system just as good with most of the roster, am I right?
If so I'll stick to learning the game using the characters I liked so far.

Giannola

I wouldn't say leifang excels in spacing or has particularly good pokes... but If you want a character that is made to capitalize on opponents mistakes she is your girl though. Offence through defence is her deal.

I'm glad you're enjoying leifang, she's my favorite character as well, and the first I really learned the game with.

Last edited:

Beelzenef

I'll take a look at Ayane and Ein as well then. I noticed you also said Ein is an easy character so maybe he will be a good intro into spacing/footsies in this game. Thanks!

I wouldn't say leifang excels in spacing or has particularly good pokes... but If you want a character that is made to capitalize on opponents mistakes she is your girl though. Offence through defence is her deal.

What I like about her is that a lot of her moves have very deceptive range so I can poke with them efficiently, maybe that's just me though. She also has a lot of long range moves that are fast and surprising so I can catch people off guard. She is the character I enjoy the most so far.

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Wow, that was really helpful, thanks!

Usually I like rushdown characters with great mixups that pressure the opponent (Mitsuru in Persona Arena, Nova/Vergril in MVC, Akuma in SF) or mobile characters with great pokes that excel in spacing and footsies (Vega/Bison in SF). I was drawn to Helena and Leifang because Helena seemed to me like the former type and Leifang like the latter, correct me if I'm wrong. Since posting this thread I have toyed with Momiji and I'm liking her as well so far. If there are any other characters that fit this description I would be glad to know.

Basically you are saying that I shouldn't look for a basic characters because I can learn the system just as good with most of the roster, am I right?
If so I'll stick to learning the game using the characters I liked so far.

Based on your descriptiong I'd suggest looking into Christie and maybe Momiji. Of your two characters, Helena is the closest to matching your style. Leifang is more mind-games.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Ideally you want a character that can teach you the system more than teaching you mind games. It's fine if that's the route you wish to take but more rounded characters allow you to learn the game to the fullest.

Overall, it's important to have fun. If you don't end up having fun with your choice, then just switch to something that'll keep you interested

Also, do not care about losing with said character. There are only two things you can do in any game:
1)Learning
And
2)Winning

Last edited:

Mr Armageddon X

I wouldn't say Ayane is beginner friendly, more next level when your satisfied you know the basis and good with another character. I been using an Arcade Stick for DOA since Vanilla, went back to a pad when first got my XB1 and had horrible time readjusting to it before my 360-XB1 converter came, kept getting buttons mixed up and pressing wrong one, but it's a matter of preference.
It would be worth saying if your on Xbox/Playstation/Steam so people can help out that way or find you online.
And yes as your Uncle andyourDaddy Kitchener said, it's important to have fun.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, the arcade stick is more beneficial in the long run!!! If you set up the classic 3 buttons style, you have significant superior buffering control. You are not limited to the macro setup and can buffer both :P: and :K: from either :h:, or with any other button combination. Stagger escape is also significantly better, as well as movement in general

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
#3 - Turn off your brain. A lot of stuff in DOA doesn't make sense so you'll find yourself frustrated quite a bit, especially when coming from other games. You can have fun despite this but it's a major reason the rest of the FGC avoided DOA. #1 - Knowing that, the DOA scene had more casual players converted to competitive than players who started by competing; many of these players learned on pad and the preference seems to stem from this. I think the Tekken community has a pretty decent percentage of pad players since many started out casually; it helped that Tekken was infinitely more popular and had a bigger, more reaching player base.

NightAntilli

Thanks in advance!
1) I'm actually planning on switching to arcade stick. As for the reason... Well, it was really developed with controllers in mind, and wasn't really as arcade driven as other fighting games.

2) Helena and Leifang are not beginner characters. Helena has too many stance shenanigans. Too many things to take in at once. Leifang requires too much precision when attacking and will cause you to underdevelop your defense basics since other characters have a weaker defense than her. The best beginner characters are in my view;

- Hitomi, because she's a well-rounded character that is good at many things but master of nothing. Her moves are easy to execute, and she's one of the better mix-up characters. This is a good basis to learn since this game is quite mix-up heavy. There's a good reason she's the tutorial character. She's a character where you HAVE to use fundamentals to win. No shenanigans.

- Kokoro, because she's safe, has straightforward strings and stuns, helps you learn how to deal with sidesteps without having circular moves. Basically she allows you to learn the stun system quite easily, and she refrains you from mashing since her strings are so short.

Both have a respectable speed. Not the slowest nor the fastest, and this allows you to learn how to pressure slower characters and to defend against faster ones. You'll be a more complete player in the end.

Although people claim Momiji is a good beginner character, I don't think I agree. Yes she's easy to play and yes she's easy to start out with. But she's not really a character that will help you with many fundamentals. She's too stun-launch heavy, and you have to learn how to extend stuns and perform proper resets in this game if you want to get far. If you play to win as a beginner, this is a great character. If you play to learn, not so much.

3) I've written a guide of how I train my DOA characters here, maybe it will be useful for you. The tutorial that the game has is definitely a good place to start as well. You'll get almost all information that you need for basic combat.

Last edited:

John P.

#3 - Turn off your brain. A lot of stuff in DOA doesn't make sense so you'll find yourself frustrated quite a bit, especially when coming from other games. You can have fun despite this but it's a major reason the rest of the FGC avoided DOA. #1 - Knowing that, the DOA scene had more casual players converted to competitive than players who started by competing; many of these players learned on pad and the preference seems to stem from this. I think the Tekken community has a pretty decent percentage of pad players since many started out casually; it helped that Tekken was infinitely more popular and had a bigger, more reaching player base.
This

SoftCabbage

2. Pick Christie. Or Hitomi.

3. VS Mode, game settings, set difficulty to 1, pick character, pause menu, fight screen info, Movelist: Left, unpause, fight, win, fight again, and repeat until you feel too easy, then set the difficulty to 2, repeat again. Field practice FTW. lol

Lulu

2. Pick Christie. Or Hitomi.

3. VS Mode, game settings, set difficulty to 1, pick character, pause menu, fight screen info, Movelist: Left, unpause, fight, win, fight again, and repeat until you feel too easy, then set the difficulty to 2, repeat again. Field practice FTW. lol

LoL.... I don't know if you are being sincere but this is exactly what I did when I first got DoA.....
Twas fun. :)

Ragnaroid

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't call myself much of an expert, or a series veteran for that matter, but I will try and answer your questions.

1.) A lot of people play on a pad because it's far cheaper than a stick. I myself am primarily a pad player because that's what I'm used too, but I have an arcade stick also.

2.) Helena and Leifang are definitely not for a beginner. I would say your character choice is dependent on what you're good at. To find out what you are good at, I would recommend that you pick a ninja (especially Kasumi or Hayabusa) because they have every tool that a new player needs.

3.) I shouldn't have to tell you not to mash since you are experienced with other fighters. But for DOA, it's all about timing your assault. Many characters have strings that minus on block, and eagle-eyed players will parry you if you get reckless. So always be ready to punish parry attempts on you, and go into training mode to learn how to juggle with your character.

If you have any more questions, just reply to my comment! :)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD