Current State of the UK DOA Community

Yaguar

Welsh border signing in.

This is my third time trying to write this, so regardless of what I end up putting, I do actually care.

First question: Is there anyone from the midlands/north west playing? If you are, speak up! I moved down to the Mid-West for work but I'm originally from the North West. What does this mean? I'd be willing to do what I could to try set up a scene in either then we can rent buses + go London (this point came later, there may be a huge moan below, sorry for being erratic but hunger calls).

I did some DOA4, roamed to Birmingham generally. I was a part-timer but I did okay (after I learnt the game anyway, I turned up clueless once but that is another story).

Bullet points (because last time this was about 10 paragraphs):
- Culture. British aren't as willing as the US to travel long distances. When it was Birmingham it was middle ground for everyone, now it is isn't. Location plays a strong point.

- Travel: Just about get away doing it in a day, but 6-8 hours of travelling in a day is soul crushing. So we have staying the night. Single night on a weekend in London? Good luck.

-Validating it: We need to come together as a UK community first. I used to travel to events because I had people I played with whom attended. This meant I knew people and made losing and the cost less of an issue. I was having fun with friends.

-Cost: Weeklies, I WOULD LOVE TO! But I don't live in London. Lets say £60 travel, +£Hotel (I work so I can validate the cost of a hotel), +£Food (2x Maccies and snacks/drinks £15-20?), event entry to HoG +£10, +£Tournament fee.
Weeklies aren't feasible. A big event bi-monthly? Sure but I can't help build a scene there has to be one existing to validate that cost (or a good group of friends, the people I currently play with I'd be more than happy to meet to play because we've been playing together for months now and its just fun).

Honestly I'd be willing to try travel bi-monthly for a good group of 10 people playing. Tournament + Casuals.

One of the best ways to do these kinds of things is to try get a roll call of UK players. People who can drive are fantastic, I used to split lifts and petrol is cheaper than trains.

Go alone? Don't bother! Bring your friends. They don't have to play in the tournaments but they are in an arcade for the day. FUCKING AWESOME. I used to bring mine along with me, some even played for the fun of it. Most of the day they'd just piss around the city and play games around he centre.

Personally I think if we can get some weekly online casuals going for the UK, or a little online tournament (If this appeals as a start Kitch then PM me, I have an offer now that I've thought about this) and people are playing, even if it is the same 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 people then I think you'd see a lot more willing to travel for a proper tournament, the London scene would be bigger playing weekly whilst the rest of us might have to travel for an hour there and back to get our weekly/fortnightly games in.

/Scott - Hungry and sorry that this post is all over, I am interested but I'm also Northern and ever penny counts for us =p

Berzerk!

Hey, Berzerk. I did ask, but unfortunately the answer is no and this is VF-only event.

Hey Kitch,

Understandable that Sega don't want a DOA side event at the VF major Sega Cup,though if you have something on your schedule for soon after, maybe they'd be cool with your turning up to talk to players and distribute flyers.

If you have events before hand, also promoting Sega cup in like kind would go over well. Most people are open to such cross promotion. Just getting the word out is key.

Also, Sega Cup sounds awesome.

Snipa

Snipa, please stop using terms you don't understand. LAN (Local Area Network) doesn't even apply to Fighting games

Also, regarding the expenses involved with traveling to London monthly for tourneys, there are already many people doing to already, especially for DOA. Unless you're in arse end of nowhere in Scotland, you really have no excuse, unless you're a student or you can't take days off or work on weekends.

Regarding streaming. I've been at the Hog every weekend including fridays and if people show up, then Bulletproof will gladly put it on stream, since he had built Neo Empire years ago as primarily a DOA community forum, which evolved into a much bigger thing.
Yes, we're on twitch : http://www.twitch.tv/thewonderpark

In regards to online actually being the starting point of some communities, uh, I don't know. But one thing is for sure. I've seen games grow faster at the Hog where someone just puts it on in the console area and people just start messing around with it. When I talk to people and ask them of their origins, a very very small handful are actually from online, which leads me to believe that most online players are happy with staying in their own little bubble rather than getting in touch with each other.You can try and convince me otherwise by bringing up examples.

The internet infrastructure in UK isn't even adequate enough to support that sort of environment.

Snipa, please in case you decide to come down to London, send me a PM. I showed your message to Firebug and Bulletproof and they were really upset and close to banning you from the venue.

lol...If there getting upset over my post about possible reasons why the DOA UK community is dire then that's a bit silly.

The post in general is not even so much about HOG but the "Scene" as a whole.
The definition of LAN in todays market is not so much as in a LAN infrastructure it generally means along the lines of not online, on consoles in person. FIFA on one console and one screen at a event is still regarded as LAN by the players who attend the events.

Anyway im not really sure why you/they would be upset?

Fact is DOA5 UK is pretty much dead/non existent and you cannot deny it and judging from watching EVO this weekend, reading SRK and other forums DOA is pretty much invisible to most of the FGC. Period.

Regarding online infrastructure in the UK it is alot better than it used to be and its not so much about using it for competitive tournaments but just marketing.
I forgot the username of the guy who 6-7 years ago spoke to me in a lobby for NeoEmpire but without him i would not have put any interest in FGC or even care about DOA as much as i did.

Can i ask, what is wrong with a few online tournaments or even round robin lobbies of winner stays for a laugh promoting the area and DOA in the UK? Nothing and if your friends get upset you might as well ban me from attending if they are to be so naive about it. Its 2013 not 1991.

You do these tournaments every month over a weekend, is there anything wrong with doing a few online ones and the one winner gets a free entry into the tournaments (still pays the £10/15 fee) but gets the £3 or 5 free?
If you cannot afford to do it once in a while to try and promote HOG and get a few online players to live events then maybe you really cannot complain about it.

Maybe get a few online tournaments going where people pay a few £ to play and take a cut yourself and put it towards HOG's monthly tournaments and maintenance of the event itself.

Everything is about promoting, promoting and promoting.
If everything i say is dumb and bullshit then to even start complaining about the DOA UK scene is void.

There is a reason the scene is dead and a reason you made a thread about it. If marketing via online, streaming and giving away a free entry to a event or something once in a while means you get a few more players interested whats the harm? There is none.

Yes i know that online in FGC means nothing competitively because of the nature of lag and input delays but its practice for alot of people and if they can get to know a few friendly faces to play with and meet up they are more likely to do it.

But if your going to sit there and complain about people not attending when they have no reason to attend then you might aswell concentrate on other titles which have built a fan base already.

Anyway as stated my posts about DOA in general not HOG and to take it personally is laughable. I apologize if this has offended you/HOG and your friends, i am throwing a few suggestions out there to try gain a few extra players for DOA in the UK.

I love DOA as much as you and most of the population on this website.
Lets hope DOA5U ups its game, fixes problems and the community starts to take it seriously.

Snipa

Welsh border signing in.

This is my third time trying to write this, so regardless of what I end up putting, I do actually care.

First question: Is there anyone from the midlands/north west playing? If you are, speak up! I moved down to the Mid-West for work but I'm originally from the North West. What does this mean? I'd be willing to do what I could to try set up a scene in either then we can rent buses + go London (this point came later, there may be a huge moan below, sorry for being erratic but hunger calls).

I did some DOA4, roamed to Birmingham generally. I was a part-timer but I did okay (after I learnt the game anyway, I turned up clueless once but that is another story).

- Culture. British aren't as willing as the US to travel long distances. When it was Birmingham it was middle ground for everyone, now it is isn't. Location plays a strong point.

- Travel: Just about get away doing it in a day, but 6-8 hours of travelling in a day is soul crushing. So we have staying the night. Single night on a weekend in London? Good luck.

-Validating it: We need to come together as a UK community first. I used to travel to events because I had people I played with whom attended. This meant I knew people and made losing and the cost less of an issue. I was having fun with friends.

-Cost: Weeklies, I WOULD LOVE TO! But I don't live in London. Lets say £60 travel, +£Hotel (I work so I can validate the cost of a hotel), +£Food (2x Maccies and snacks/drinks £15-20?), event entry to HoG +£10, +£Tournament fee.
Weeklies aren't feasible. A big event bi-monthly? Sure but I can't help build a scene there has to be one existing to validate that cost (or a good group of friends, the people I currently play with I'd be more than happy to meet to play because we've been playing together for months now and its just fun).

Honestly I'd be willing to try travel bi-monthly for a good group of 10 people playing. Tournament + Casuals.

One of the best ways to do these kinds of things is to try get a roll call of UK players. People who can drive are fantastic, I used to split lifts and petrol is cheaper than trains.

Go alone? Don't bother! Bring your friends. They don't have to play in the tournaments but they are in an arcade for the day. FUCKING AWESOME. I used to bring mine along with me, some even played for the fun of it. Most of the day they'd just piss around the city and play games around he centre.

Personally I think if we can get some weekly online casuals going for the UK, or a little online tournament (If this appeals as a start Kitch then PM me, I have an offer now that I've thought about this) and people are playing, even if it is the same 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 people then I think you'd see a lot more willing to travel for a proper tournament, the London scene would be bigger playing weekly whilst the rest of us might have to travel for an hour there and back to get our weekly/fortnightly games in.

/Scott - Hungry and sorry that this post is all over, I am interested but I'm also Northern and ever penny counts for us =p

I would be up for that, and even split on a few bits and pieces here and there.
Brilliant post, especially with DOA5U around the corner and at £22 i think it can get a boost.

To be honest that is the problem for me going right now, i dont really see much activity for DOA and unless i go abroad im not going to.
A few online tournaments or just some fun games and get to know some friendly faces will be great incentive for me to attend.

In the end its about fun, meeting new people and getting involved but when you dont know anyone and theres no events going its really hard, especially for people who cannot commit to 100% of events and will need to pick and choose.

Dr Drake

@ Kitschener

I know What u mena we had the same Problem about DOA in Germany.

@ Cow

Tell me if u will visit England maybe i will Visit England for a weekend trip then.
Because an offline match would be really fun.

Midlands player right here.

I'd definitely be up for the online casuals - money is unfortunately an issue right now to be going much further than a 20 mile radius on a regular basis (unemployed soon-to-be-going-to-uni student). I could do Birmingham/Gloucester/Hereford no problem if ever there's anything DOA related over there. I'll definitely be saving up for prospective London trips for tournaments or casuals along with getting to know and messing around with other DOA fans. But until money/location aren't a problem, online casuals would be an excellent way to get to know other fans in the UK who actually take this game seriously and who I might meet at offline events in the future.

Hopefully with Core Fighters, more people will be willing to pick up DOA and give its entire community a nice boost. And like Snipa said, the retail version of 5U is cheap by default too. Also, with the focus of CF being the actual fighting, it can hopefully make more people everywhere take the game seriously, instead of the typical "never heard of it" or "boobs" whenever DOA is mentioned.

Yaguar

Big question. Format?
I can play on both but prefer PS3 because I'm the first person in history to prefer the controller.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
lol...If there getting upset over my post about possible reasons why the DOA UK community is dire then that's a bit silly..

It wasn't even about you rwhole comment. It was the suggestion you made about having an online tourney of all things paying for a whole week.

Hey, Yaguar.

Honestly, if you really want to stay, you might as well just stay at the HOG for the night, but make sure you bring a sleeping bag or something. You can have mine since I don't even need sleep, but keep that in mind for when you're thinking of coming down with mates for Ultimate Clash or SVB since HOG is going to hold SVB nights where people can come down and just stay at the HOG for the night and go back to SVB the next day.

We already got a couple of Welsh players who drive down for UC every month including Finches and TAB who play KOF and Guilty Gear.

No, sorry, the online tourney just doesn't appeal to me. I nor have the time nor do I want to do this (you're very welcome to though). Also, online just propagates really bad habits that end up being really obvious when you sit down offline and play someone. Bad habits that end up costing people rounds and matches. I also lent my console to the HOG anyway.

Also, most people play the game on X360, so I had to make that the standard. It used to be the PS3, but people found the converters to be faulty and chasing around the venue for a pad was just stupid.Honestly, if people want to play with the shitty 360 pad, I don't really care.

Hey Kitch,

Understandable that Sega don't want a DOA side event at the VF major Sega Cup,though if you have something on your schedule for soon after, maybe they'd be cool with your turning up to talk to players and distribute flyers.

If you have events before hand, also promoting Sega cup in like kind would go over well. Most people are open to such cross promotion. Just getting the word out is key.

Also, Sega Cup sounds awesome.

Uuuum. Okay, sure. It might just work, but I got no talent when it comes to designing flyers and leaflets. The most I can do is to just have a couple of layers with couple images.

@ Kitschener

I know What u mena we had the same Problem about DOA in Germany..

I was hoping to have Gahektabal and some other German players here bi-monthly. We got one German player coming over this weekend, but I forgot her name.

I also really want to get in touch with some Scandinavian players later too.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Dr Drake said:
@ Kitschener

I know What u mena we had the same Problem about DOA in Germany.

@ Cow

Tell me if u will visit England maybe i will Visit England for a weekend trip then.
Because an offline match would be really fun.

That would be amazing! I will :)

Adamleelight

Welsh border signing in.

Yeah from Birmingham myself. I havent seen DOA in the places ive been to down here. Went to a college run tourney not long ago. Was pretty much just Marvel and street fighter. Some other random ass none fighting games too.

Snipa

Big question. Format?
I can play on both but prefer PS3 because I'm the first person in history to prefer the controller.

Its strange as almost all fighters are played on Playstation currently (purely because of Evo i guess?) Yet at EVO you cannot use a PS3 controller due to syncing issues lol so have to get a converter or use a stick while DOA doesn't even need a stick anyway as its not hard to pull of any moves.

Yet in the UK they are all 360.
But correct me if im wrong the PS3 has a 1 frame delay over 360 on DOA?

Snipa

The ps3 has a 1 frame delay over the 360 in most fighters.

So is PS3 primary console because of the Asian continent being predominately a PlayStation market?
If PS3 has a 1 frame delay why would it be used in major tournaments worldwide yet in UK it seems to be almost always 360.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
It's PS3 because tournament organizers in the US have an inventory of PS3s, and it's costly to go out and stock up on the other system and games.

Japan uses PS3 for DOA5 as well.

Lastly, it's been a hassle using 360 controllers in recent tournaments that have supported it on the 360 (ECTV). Microsoft doesn't make wired controllers anymore - the only wired one they do make is for the PC and apparently you can't have two PC GFW controllers hooked up into the 360 as the system will assign both to the same quadrant. Then there's people who connect with a wireless controller and leave their batteries in. Since the 360 doesn't support changing controller assignments without totally shutting down the system, it requires a player to do a complete sign out of the primary profile then a sign in on the correct profile and check to make sure all the settings are correct again in order to proceed with the next match.

PS3 you can just alter the controller assignment at any point in time.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Didn't they fix that with DOA5?
I recall something in the patch notes at least.

No, they just fixed it for the online mode since it was 1 more input delay than the offline version by default.

Both systems have input delay, the PS3 is just 1 more frame. I believe it's 8 frames on the 360 and 9 frames on the PS3.

PJudge

The feel I'm getting from this is that I should invest in a wired 360 pad if I'm going to continue as a pad player and start going to tournaments...would that be a safe assumption?

Snipa

The feel I'm getting from this is that I should invest in a wired 360 pad if I'm going to continue as a pad player and start going to tournaments...would that be a safe assumption?

If your playing tournaments in person you need a wired controller for PS3 or 360.
Especially PS3 as certain places ban the standard Sony controller because when you sync it to a play station it usually stays there so when you move from console to console you can interfere with the console you first plugged into.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Using a wireless 360 controller without a battery pack and with a play and charge cable is fine. The controller still sends the signals wireless but it doesn't lock the controller into the console, effectively removing the controller quadrant assignment issue.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD