Damn this game is fast

sick45hitcombo

Like, super fucking fast lol. I just got all the costumes for La Mariposa and I'm kinda proud of how quickly I've been able to adjust to it now. First time through Story mode I got stomped every fight but on the subsequent runs I obliterated opponents compared my first time.

All in all I'm enjoying playing catch up on this older entry, got into the series a year ago with DoA6 on sale, but y'all got any tips? Specifically how to get out of stun so quickly and how to quick recover off the ground. Seems like I'm wailing on the directional buttons for the latter but nothing happens.

And are the other games as fast as this? I know DoA6 isn't but I don't like the meter in that game so I'm gonna pick up DoA5: Last Round on PS4 once I'm done with this.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Like, super fucking fast lol. I just got all the costumes for La Mariposa and I'm kinda proud of how quickly I've been able to adjust to it now. First time through Story mode I got stomped every fight but on the subsequent runs I obliterated opponents compared my first time.

All in all I'm enjoying playing catch up on this older entry, got into the series a year ago with DoA6 on sale, but y'all got any tips? Specifically how to get out of stun so quickly and how to quick recover off the ground. Seems like I'm wailing on the directional buttons for the latter but nothing happens.

And are the other games as fast as this? I know DoA6 isn't but I don't like the meter in that game so I'm gonna pick up DoA5: Last Round on PS4 once I'm done with this.
The game is fast but the main part that makes it seem fast is the stun. If you want to escape long stuns, you have to learn to slow escape which is done by rotating the Analog stick in a circular motion while holding down guard or H. This doesn't necessarily save you from stuns but it'll shave off the stun disadvantage depending on how fast you perform it, so if Kasumi for example gets you with a 6PP stun, use the slow escape method so it'll shave off how deep the stun is and limit her options. If you slow escape quick enough after the appropriate stuns, you'll either be able to guard their next attack attempt if it's slow enough or you'll limit their options to quicker ones which puts you often in a safer postion. Dimensions imo is the easiest place to practice since the frame data is displayed.

For recovery, don't just use the directional inputs. If an opponent for example does Kasumi's 5T throw, to tech up use guard or H so you can get up and recover, it can't be done after every attack and throw but it'll get you up back into the fight after the right times to use it, and you can tech and recover back up after knockdowns with guard or H and enter back(4) to tech backwards) or up or down(8 or 2) and guard (H) so you can tech up in either direction to avoid potential hazards.

As for the other games, the newer ones are generally as quick but iirc they slowed down 6 a bit. In all the newer games tho if you want to avoid being bullied on the ground you'll have to tech up to escape being force teched but that doesn't save you per say since you're still somewhat at a disadvantage depending on your foe's action. When you're recovering, this is mainly the time to either try to crush your foe's attack or you can attempt to read them but recovery is generally always a risk unless your character is suited for defense like Leifang, she has her parries and sabakis that can dumb down the guessing game when she's not at an advantage. With Lisa you're gonna have to guess since she lacks expert hold and parries but she has Offensive holds which can help you.

It takes time to learn but once you learn slow escaping and teching it helps you escape alot of risky situations. In LR this is important since stuns are still quite high and stagger/slow escaping is still crucial if you don't want to risk a hold. In 6 you don't have to worry since stuns are toned down and stagger escape isn't in but teching still is but it's easier since there's no true heavy force tech besides Rachel's 2K stomp but that's very predictable and easy to recover from to avoid from most situations

sick45hitcombo

If you want to escape long stuns, you have to learn to slow escape which is done by rotating the Analog stick in a circular motion while holding down guard or H.

I'm on a hitbox, rough lol

to tech up use guard or H so you can get up and recover, it can't be done after every attack and throw but it'll get you up back into the fight after the right times to use it, and you can tech and recover back up after knockdowns with guard or H and enter back(4) to tech backwards) or up or down(8 or 2) and guard (H) so you can tech up in either direction to avoid potential hazards.

Good to know!

The game is fast but the main part that makes it seem fast is the stun.

In 6 you don't have to worry since stuns are toned down and stagger escape isn't in

Ah that's also why this feels so fast, didn't have to deal with this in DoA6.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I'm on a hitbox, rough lol

Just hold guard and piano 4862 repeatedly. You'll also find it gets easier the more you do it due to the stagger escape meter system that is way too prevalent in DOA4, but existed since DOA2.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD