Day 5 of IPL's 12 Days of DOA: Training Mode

The fifth day of IGN Pro League's 12 Days of DOA brings us information about the advanced Training mode, and from the sounds of it 'advanced' is an understatement.

DrDogg goes over many of the robust features this training mode brings along. This includes a feature to record your inputs, second player controlling the dummy, holding in stun as soon as possible, and even the speed at which Struggle Escaping is performed. Many cool options are explained and I recommend getting over there and reading the full article.

DOA5Training-600x337.jpg

DrDogg said:
The basic features you’d expect from a training mode are also present. You can reset the character position back to the default starting spot, have all attacks connect as a counter hit or hi counter hit, turn the ability to use a Power Blow on or off, turn danger zones on or off, and even adjust the latency to mimic online lag (from 5 bars all the way down to a 1 bar connection). There’s also a command training option that goes through a character’s move list one attack at a time. In addition, you can even set the dummy to be controlled by the computer at one of eight difficulty levels, or allow a second player to take control of the dummy and spar infinitely.

To some, a solid training mode may be expected in the modern day of fighting games, but the features in the DOA5 training mode go above and beyond the expectations of even the best tournament players. It should be the starting point for all fighting game training modes from this point forward.

Source: IGN Pro League via DrDogg

To some, a solid training mode may be expected in the modern day of fighting games, but the features in the DOA5 training mode go above and beyond the expectations of even the best tournament players. It should be the starting point for all fighting game training modes from this point forward.
Mother of God! D:

Great news. Not that anything could keep my money away from their pockets anymore, but still good to hear something that almost cannot be nitpicked to death by the fans of the series. I hope ...

Awesome training mode, a "thank you virtua fighter for teaching us how to do it" is in order.

Its great that TN burrowed from them, this will be, alongside the training mode in VF5FS, the best current training mode!!! (would say best ever... but vf4 evo would kick me in the balls ^_^)

Awesome training mode, a "thank you virtua fighter for teaching us how to do it" is in order.

Its great that TN burrowed from them, this will be, alongside the training mode in VF5FS, the best current training mode!!! (would say best ever... but vf4 evo would kick me in the balls ^_^)

VF4 Evo offered an in-depth tutorial in how fighting games should be played. They just disguised it as a training mode, therefore it doesn't count. ;)

I love how Team NINJA has done all the work for us when it comes to getting information on the game. All we have to do is just go into sparring mode and do it to it. I'll be spending weeks in there just learning and eating up all that good mess! >:]

ibbWNzeImHDiDx.gif

This is fantastic :D What's incredibly brilliant is the latency aspect! Not useful for tournaments, but useful for our online play.

This is fantastic :D What's incredibly brilliant is the latency aspect! Not useful for tournaments, but useful for our online play.

That gives me hope that they're focusing on online mode, which desperately needs to be re hauled in terms of netcode. How I fondly remember DOAU....

I'm excited for this training mode, a fighting game needs to have a training mode with lots of solid features in order to keep someone like me engaged in it.

The only thing I probably won't use will be the online lag conditions mode, I just don't see the point of trying to get good at playing in lag especially for more serious offline players. I would rather not play at all than play in lag.

The only thing I probably won't use will be the online lag conditions mode, I just don't see the point of trying to get good at playing in lag especially for more serious offline players. I would rather not play at all than play in lag.

My thoughts exactly, my friend.

This is impressive. I am literally put in awe. A training mode like this could literally cut the time it takes for me to learn how to use an attack button by 3 months.

It's like all it needed is that little extra (individual character tutorials) and it could've easily surpassed Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, but I digress. Learning Christie all over again will be an awesome experience.

VF4 Evo offered an in-depth tutorial in how fighting games should be played. They just disguised it as a training mode, therefore it doesn't count. ;)

Actually, it does count. Don't forget, that was just only one section of VF's dojo. There is still the command mode (DOA's "exercise" feature) and Free Training where you have all these said options to set up situations like stagger recovery and more. And then VF5FS pretty much did the same thing as VF4 EVO with going over key aspects of the system in the tutorial section of the dojo while also now giving us in game frame data.

And a big kudos to Team Ninja for realizing just how valuable this is to us. All Team Ninja needs to do now is to add a tutorial section doing the same. :)

Just a question regarding training mode. Are there multiple record slots? Like can i record say (like in vf5fs) 3 different strings and have the dummy do them randomly against me? That way i could train blocking / countering on reaction and stuff like that.

I think the article only made mention of a recording feauture, but didnt go in detail on how many slots there are (not saying it HAD to go in detail... id lust like to know here ^_^)

Just a question regarding training mode. Are there multiple record slots? Like can i record say (like in vf5fs) 3 different strings and have the dummy do them randomly against me? That way i could train blocking / countering on reaction and stuff like that.

I think the article only made mention of a recording feauture, but didnt go in detail on how many slots there are (not saying it HAD to go in detail... id lust like to know here ^_^)

Nope, only one slot. It's not as in-depth as SC5 (which had 3 slots), but I'll take it.

I'm excited for this training mode, a fighting game needs to have a training mode with lots of solid features in order to keep someone like me engaged in it.

Hopefully you still plan on playing online sometimes, though. There's a hell of a lot of good players floating around there that aren't local/just don't go to offline hotspots.

Hopefully you still plan on playing online sometimes, though. There's a hell of a lot of good players floating around there that aren't local/just don't go to offline hotspots.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to be playing online a lot. I've meet a lot of great people and players through online, but that doesn't change the fact that I would prefer to be facing these other players in as little lag as possible which brings me full circle to my original point of not wanting to use the online lag conditions mode. I would rather not face off against others online than face them in lag.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD