Dead or Alive 5 Ground Game

Omegan Eckhart

Can someone explain to me in a well fleshed out way exactly how the ground game works in Dead or Alive 5? I have watched a few videos and in some it looks like pre Dead or Alive 4 where you can't force them up and I swear I have seen others where the person who is down has been forced up by certain attacks.

Can anyone explain it to me cause I'm honestly not sure how it works now.
Thanks in advance.

DrDogg

There are two types of ground stun. One in which you can use a wake-up kick right away, and one in which the characters bounces on the ground and there's a delay before they can use a wake-up kick. When there's a delay, or when the opponent simply doesn't use a wake-up kick right away or doesn't tech roll immediately, you can hit them on the ground.

Most singular ground hits do not force tech. So you can continue hitting them on the ground until they tech up. However, if you hit them twice in rapid succession (Hayate's 1PK for example), they'll be forced off the ground just like in DOA4. The main difference though is that there's A LOT more invincibility while a character is getting up off the ground. However, I have found some interesting wake-up setups despite the long invincibility window.

DrDogg

So is there a set rule for which moves cause which type of ground stun?

It's just like how some move juggle and other don't. It's basically whatever attacks Team Ninja decided would give the ground bounce and which would not. Most of them are pretty logical though.

Is the wake up game basically similar to VF5FS's wake up game?

No... wake-up kicks are far more dangerous in DOA compared to VF. Everything you know about the VF meta game, you need to erase from memory when you play DOA. You will not do well in DOA if you play it with a VF mentality. DOA is a very unique beast in that advanced fighting game theory that transfers from VF to Tekken to Soul Calibur to even SF has an adverse effect when it comes to DOA. You really have to start over when you play DOA, and that's difficult for some people to grasp.

shunwong

No... wake-up kicks are far more dangerous in DOA compared to VF. Everything you know about the VF meta game, you need to erase from memory when you play DOA. You will not do well in DOA if you play it with a VF mentality. DOA is a very unique beast in that advanced fighting game theory that transfers from VF to Tekken to Soul Calibur to even SF has an adverse effect when it comes to DOA. You really have to start over when you play DOA, and that's difficult for some people to grasp.

Thanks for the info. I'll try my best. It seemed similar in the videos because of the low or mid kick option from the ground.

Omegan Eckhart

It's just like how some move juggle and other don't. It's basically whatever attacks Team Ninja decided would give the ground bounce and which would not. Most of them are pretty logical though.
Okay so it's just a matter of playing the game and discovering which does what, cool got it. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD