Dead or Alive System Changes after Day 1 of E3

I've decided to provide a list of changes to Dead or Alive 5 that have been announced during the first day of E3. Here, I am merely focusing on system changes from not only the Dead or Alive 5 Alpha Demo, but from Dead or Alive 4 as well. There's been a lot of footage shown so far and this would be a good place to see all the changes. These will not include any character changes such as movelist or attack properties as that's a bit difficult to get. Something of note: the danger zones appeared to be locked off from being used through the "Power Blow" so zones such as the car in Scramble appeared to be usable but this could have just been for the E3 demo purposes.

Power Blow System Changes:
  • Power Blows have been changed from :H+P+K: to a command depending on the character, typically :1::P+K:.
  • Power Blows can only be performed once the user has lost 50% of their life, which is noted by the lifebar glowing red.
  • If the user does not have a red flashing bar when performing a Power Blow attack, he/she will perform what was the DOA5 Alpha uncharged hit effect: a knockdown pushback.

Stun System Changes:
  • There's a new attack titled the "Critical Burst." This is where one or more moves of a character performs a special stun if the opponent was at full stun threshold when connecting.
  • The "Critical Burst" puts a character into a deep fall forward standing stun that is not able to be held out, in effect allowing for a free hit of anything from a launcher to a power blow.
  • The "Critical Burst" is just a normal attack from the character and can generally be initiated at max threshold. It is notable when the "Critical Burst" connects as a puff of smoke appears after the hit.
  • Any time the character is in a critical stun that has their feet off the ground (i.e Sit down, lift, trip stuns) the opponent is not able to hold out of the stun until feet have returned to standing.
  • Guard Breaks and Guard Crushes can't be held out of immediately like Dead or Alive 4, this is because of the above listed change where the opponent can't hold until both feet are on the ground. This can allow for some guaranteed followups after a guard break.
  • The stun threshold (Critical State) has been returned to the lifebars. This is probably due to the importance of the "Critical Burst" attack in the game.
  • Characters have options to allow a normal hit launcher and still get decent juggle damage. This is something that was more prevalent in the earlier Dead or Alive games.

General System Changes:
  • The mid kick normal hold is now :6::h: instead of being merged with the mid punch hold (:4::h:) like in the Dead or Alive 5 Alpha build.
  • The high hit level wake-up kick attack has been removed from the game after being introduced into Dead or Alive 4. The mid hit level and low hit level still remain but are generally unsafe on guard.
  • A grappler receives a frame advantage bonus if their combo throw is broken out of, allowing them to still press the advantage.
  • A grappler can get a guaranteed ground throw more often than in comparison to Dead or Alive 4. This is typically best used when there is a ground slam in a juggle or off the wall crumple.
  • The side step has been changed to :2::2: and :8::8:. Rikuto mentioned that hitting :3::3: on the Xbox 360 directional pad will accidentally perform a :2::2: motion.
  • The gym shows the rope bounce from Dead or Alive 4.0 where it appears the opponent can't defensive hold during the bounce back.

So how could all of this change the meta game in playing Dead or Alive 5 in its current build? I obviously can't say much about it being that it's the first day of changes that have been found. So, with that said, this is my personal take on how this changes the game in higher level play:

First, let me clarify something for those who aren't familiar with terminology for the Dead or Alive series: the term "stun" is not typically the same as it is in other fighting games where one automatically assumes your opponent can't do anything in said "stun." Dead or Alive has a meta game inside of its "stun" system called the "Critical State" system. There is a difference between a "hit stun" and a "critical stun." With the exception of Dead or Alive 4, all Dead or Alive games have made it so that you can't hold out of hit stun, but you could defensive hold ("counter") out of critical stun after a certain amount of time is spent in the critical stun animation. Dead or Alive 4 changed this rule (sort of) by removing that forced delay you had while you were in a critical stun, effectively allowing you to defensive hold out of any critical stun at a moment's notice and sometimes putting you at a frame advantage over the offensive player. When you hear Dead or Alive players use the term "stun," they are typically talking about a critical stun. It appears that the critical stun system has been making strides to return back to the Dead or Alive 2 and Dead or Alive 3 system: critical stuns are less frequent than Dead or Alive 4 allowed and the delay for defensive holding out of them has started to be restored.

I can easily say that there are two major factors in this build that completely change the meta game: (1) the "Critical Burst" attack and (2) stuns that do not allow holds while feet are off the ground.

These two things can completely change the meta game. I have a feeling that there is more to the "Critical Burst" than what we have been told so far. However, as I understand it now, a character can potentially put another in a guaranteed combo due to the amount of ways one can put the other into such a situation. Rikuto hinted at this in his commentary where he can do one guess, I'm presuming the initial starting critical stun hit, combo it into a guaranteed critical stun combo that ends with a "Critical Burst." Then the character can do a free launcher or "Power Blow." Either option could allow the character to cause a knock back into a danger zone or fall towards a ground game scenario. Rikuto suggested Bayman could do such a thing and knock off 50% of a character's life with such a setup. I imagine other characters could do the same.

It's with that understanding that I believe the meta game has been changed to lower the amount of recklessness that is tolerated in the game's offense. I do not believe it will change some characters' offensive abilities as some characters will still be able to press the offense with attacks granting frame advantage pressure or causing a guard break/crush. There's a difference between saying that it's allowing less reckless behavior and the game's offense being toned down. In previous iterations, most dominantly Dead or Alive 4, the player could get away with being so reckless that it really would not matter if they were hit. This was due to the critical stun system allowing for numerous chances to escape the critical state via defensive hold. At times, players would feel better being put in such a state over being the offensive player due to the amount of damage they could do after five or six attempts to escape it. The focus of the meta game is now on that initial hit since the critical stun threshold game has been toned down severely. I can honestly say that it's probably the most severe since Dead or Alive 1, if not more. No longer can a player really find refuge in being hit or put into the critical stun state. Now a player must be cautious and decide their game plan thoughtfully, all while not allowing an opponent to set the pace of the match.

The critical state is something to be feared now due primarily to both of the changes I've mentioned. The opponent is now unable to defensive hold out of every situation and the "Critical Burst" is something that rewards a player for knowledge of their character, the critical stun system, and the environment. This will make the game rely more on poke strings than previous titles have; Dead or Alive 3.1/3.2 were probably the closest to matching such a meta game.

I think that, for now, you'll still be seeing many players play the game like Dead or Alive 4 (including mashing the low defensive hold on instinct) but I believe that with time adjusting to the changes we'll be able to see less of a reliance on the defensive holds and more so a reliance of the various new defensive features applied to the title. Something that hasn't been utilized as well as it really should is the side step system, not to be confused with the "Free Step" system. "Free Stepping" is associated with positional spacing with the environment by holding :2_: or :8_:, similar to Soul Calibur's "8 Way Run." The side step can be considered a special movement and was designated by the command :2::H+P+K: in the Dead or Alive 5 Alpha demo but has changed to :2::2: and :8::8: in the E3 demo build. This is certainly an area that the players will have to adjust to as the game gets closer to release.

The last thing to discuss is the buff to throws in the game. Dead or Alive has traditionally been an attack heavy game. Unlike most fighting games like Soul Calibur, Street Fighter, or Tekken, the Dead or Alive throw system is not treated like an attack. What I mean by that is in some other fighting games, like the ones just mentioned, the throw is more like an unblockable attack where it will win against another attack if its active hit frame connects before an opponent's active hit frame connects. In Dead or Alive, the throw loses immediately if an opponent is in the initial or active frames of the attack. Due to this, the throw game has not implemented a throw break system because I feel that the developers are trying to reward a grabbing player for reading correctly that the opponent would not attack. This is also probably why the throw speeds are typically so quick compared to other games, to make it easier to throw punish attacks or guard disadvantage. Even then Dead or Alive's fastest throws (at i4-5 speeds) are breakable throws for that reason and because they don't require a command input. "Offensive Holds" are probably the closest thing to throws in those other games, as their purpose is to grab an attack in its initial, active, or recovery frames and only loses to throws and attacks other than its own hit level. These "Offensive Holds" are offset by having much slower start up times than the standard throws, typically equal to the speed of the launching attacks. Both "Offensive Holds" and normal throws can have "Combo Throw" properties, where a speed game of initiating the multi-part throw is in combat with the opponent breaking the combo throw itself. This typically has resulted in a mix-match of advantage throughout the series.

So it's with those properties established that I think it should be mentioned how the grappling game has been improved in Dead or Alive 5. The grappling class has received buffs in range and damage. In addition, the grapplers who are typically the slowest of the cast in terms of attack speed will be given a frame advantage if their combo throw is broken. This gives more reward to the grappling player for playing the odds of the attack game and reading a guard, hold, or attack successfully while still providing a pressure tool should a combo throw be broken. This pressure allows for a smarter, calmer player to punish a more reckless player. In addition to the combo throw buff, the grapplers have been given a return to guaranteed ground throw traps. The grapplers have ways to hit confirm their ground throws like they did in all previous Dead or Alive games, with the exception of Dead or Alive 4. This has, in turn, changed the ground game. In Dead or Alive 4, a player would typically opt for a lower damaging combo that forced the opponent up as they fell to the ground. Otherwise, a falling player could tech the ground immediately just by mashing buttons or directions. This prevented the grapplers from gaining their necessary added damage to their juggles and generally benefited only striking characters who had more attack options for juggles and untechable force techs. Although the system still exists, it's no where near as dominant in play as it was in Dead or Alive 4. Grapplers can now do just as much damage as the striking characters to a juggling character thanks to guaranteed methods of utilizing their unique ground throws. Now it's up to the player to decide which juggle combo they would prefer to use based on (1) the launch height, (2) the environmental slope, (3) the end juggle positioning, or (4) the damage wanted to guarantee. It should be noted that most ground throws typically leave the grabbing character at a positional disadvantage to the wake-up kick meta game.

So, in my opinion, Dead or Alive 5 is shaping up to be a very good, legitimate fighting game. My cowboy hat is off to Yohei Shimbori and the fine people over at Team NINJA Studios and Koei-Tecmo. I think with the right push, and enough community support, this game can see a greater tournament scene than the series has ever had. I look forward to the release of this game the more I see of it and I look forward to meeting so many new and old players in the tournaments to come after its release. From day one, this website has been here with the goal to push the competitive mindset that this game series has deserved and I think this community has a chance at putting its past behind it and pushing forward with what looks to be the best chance it has ever had. I'm not talking about e-Sports or sponsorships here, as those are rewards to an established community and should not be used as a crutch. The game looks like it will have enough merit on its own with these changes to the system, and it's high time we all acknowledge that we are fighters and come together under similar goals.

wearefighters.png

I'm a fighter. How about you?​

I wonder why he wants to change them to different moves. Maybe slower moves that are easier to see? I hope they change Kasumi's critical burst to :6::6::P:. I'm not found of :6::P::+::K: which was introduced in DOAD. I just feel like it doesn't match her fighting style. Plus, she doesn't have a one hit punch that knocks the opponent back anymore so I would rather have it knock the opponent away than be a critical burst.

For critical burst in general, I hope they change the stun animation to something more unique. And it would be cooler with more effects like a dust cloud on the ground when it hits the opponent. And maybe a distortion sphere like the one that appears when Kasumi does :4::P::+::K: in DOA4.

Master said on twitter that it was a mistranslation and that the rebalance was referring to which moves are critical bursts, not removing the critical bursts themselves. Which makes sense because (1) the whole event was used to sell this new mechanic, and (2) my source's source comes from people above Shimbori's rank.

I think using slower moves for critical burts can be far more acceptable as this would create better complexity and less spammability... in addition, the following senarios would be possible creating more depth to the game in general without stripping it from how DOA is played:

- slow bursts would allow you to punish an early hold in stun due to the delayed active frames of the burst move (a very acceptable punish.. kind of similar to how power blows can be utilized)

- slow bursts give the chance for the opponent to slow escape the sitdown/lift stun creating more complex senarios than just repeated spammed critical burst every time. from there .. other options can be considered for capitalizing on sitdown stuns such as a fast poke, a knockdown or a quick launcher.

this makes bursts alot less free than what they currently are ..
bursts should not be guaranteed ... they should be made so that whats AFTER the burst is guaranteed as a reward ..

I can live with this .. happily in fact.

bursts should not be guaranteed ... they should be made so that whats AFTER the burst is guaranteed as a reward ..

What's the difference between that and say a different stun that guarantees damage after it hits? How is it okay with you that the sit-down stun guarantees follow-ups but not the critical burst stun?

@Cow
The bursts arnt guaranteed.... You are a taking a risk first then you get a guarantee. Quit making up these on paper type scenarios in your head about a feature you have no understanding of atm. No one here knows its potential yet and you are freaking out before its even given a chance.

What's the difference between that and say a different stun that guarantees damage after it hits? How is it okay with you that the sit-down stun guarantees follow-ups but not the critical burst stun?

it makes a huge difference ..
1) its not a free powerblow
2) in case you get counterhit sitdown stun, the quick launcher will not be a threshold launch, and if you want to extend it further to threshold you will have to earn it .. like it always should be.
3) as you know sitdowns tend to whiff highs as well limiting the option of the attacker to mid followups. Depending on the character used, the outcome can be different. Now when you have a guaranteed mid burst you can do anything you want apart from throwing ofcourse as the burst stun is standing.
4) the net result damage may still be high if say you were near a dangerzone.. but it wouldn't be as devastating. again, this is situational. In the SCRAMBLE stage for example, guaranteeing a burst from any part far away from the generator would guarantee a powerblow into the generator, which would garantee the air-juggle to follow. this would not be the case if you were far from the generator and were just launched for a guaranteed air juggle only.. big difference..

the result will not be the same everytime ..

@Cow
The bursts arnt guaranteed.... You are a taking a risk first then you get a guarantee. Quit making up these on paper type scenarios in your head about a feature you have no understanding of atm. No one here knows its potential yet and you are freaking out before its even given a chance.

in the current build, counter hit sitdown stun guarantees burst. if you failed to see this i suggest you watch rikuto and kayanes matches.
this is not paper theory this is whats acctually happening.

as for its POTENTIAL, in its current state, I have clearly stated a million senarios how its just wrong ... its too free .. again this is not theory fighter this is acctually based on what was seen in the matches and what potential follow-ups that could have been done that the players did not do at the time ...

bursts should not be guaranteed as they are now. They should be earned.
slower attacks leading to bursts works and keeps the DOA mixup essence.

i suggest you watch rikuto and kayanes matches.

Kayane was abusing it on people who didn't know either about it or the move that kept putting them into it.

Rikuto and Mamba had matches with Manny showing that you could escape the guaranteed sit-down stun to critical burst by having your slow escape meter filled.

Kayane was abusing it on people who didn't know either about it or the move that kept putting them into it.

Rikuto and Mamba had matches with Manny showing that you could escape the guaranteed sit-down stun to critical burst by having your slow escape meter filled.

slow escape to the point of block ? like a complete safe escape ?
and we're only talking at max escape here ...

I still think its too fast and too good..

We're just going in circles here. You think it's too much, I and many others who were at the event think it's fine. Let's just leave it at that.

We're just going in circles here. You think it's too much, I and many others who were at the event think it's fine. Let's just leave it at that.

The key words here are Others who were there at the event think its fine - I note including Manny who was a proponent of the Doa4 system and Rikuto who was against it. If you have these two views agreeing on a mechanic you should be well reassured.

I still think its too fast and too good..

Pay attention to those who were there and whom have a stronger basis for judgement, and consider carefully before making your own. Right now this opinion is not creditable in the face of the positive effect more experienced players say it has, especially those who personally tested it

1) its not a free powerblow
2) in case you get counterhit sitdown stun, the quick launcher will not be a threshold launch, and if you want to extend it further to threshold you will have to earn it .. like it always should be.
3) as you know sitdowns tend to whiff highs as well limiting the option of the attacker to mid followups. Depending on the character used, the outcome can be different. Now when you have a guaranteed mid burst you can do anything you want apart from throwing ofcourse as the burst stun is standing.
4) the net result damage may still be high if say you were near a dangerzone.. but it wouldn't be as devastating. again, this is situational. In the SCRAMBLE stage for example, guaranteeing a burst from any part far away from the generator would guarantee a powerblow into the generator, which would garantee the air-juggle to follow. this would not be the case if you were far from the generator and were just launched for a guaranteed air juggle only.. big difference..

the result will not be the same everytime ..

in the current build, counter hit sitdown stun guarantees burst. if you failed to see this i suggest you watch rikuto and kayanes matches.
this is not paper theory this is whats acctually happening.

as for its POTENTIAL, in its current state, I have clearly stated a million senarios how its just wrong ... its too free .. again this is not theory fighter this is acctually based on what was seen in the matches and what potential follow-ups that could have been done that the players did not do at the time ...

bursts should not be guaranteed as they are now. They should be earned.
slower attacks leading to bursts works and keeps the DOA mixup essence.

You're still playing theory fighter with a system you don't understand.

I really don't think the Critical Burst mechanic is that strong.
Certain moves grant you a Crumple the opponent can't hold out of, if you exceed Criticial Threshold with them... WOW!
Imo all Crumples should be unholdable Stuns in the first place.

That the stuns lasts long enough to guarantee a Powerblow is another issue, but this was 100% by design. There is no way anyone was surprised by the damage...
Claiming that Critical Burst Combos involving multiple Dangerzones do too much damage is a moot point as well. Any Combo that utilizes all available Dangerzones in the stage does an incredible amount of damage. The Critical Burst itself is just the 10-20Dmg icing on the 200Dmg cake...
If these very long Combos are an issue then they should change the damagescaling... to something a bit more dynamic

At least Kasumi got pretty poor launch height from launchers after a Critical Burst imo ... Launching directly after the sitdown stun should lead to better launch height and potentially better juggles... maybe she could have done more damage this way.

The speed of most Critical Burst moves is fine imo. Most of them seemed to have "launcher speed", or slightly slower...

Maybe they should add Air Control so players have to mix up the juggles... I think it was really boring to see the same PP4PPP juggle form Hitomi over and over again lol (just kidding...)

Emperor Cow is complaining about repetition, but he plays SFIV (and loves it to death). Just sayin....

what makes you think I love sf4 ? when have I ever said that ..
hell even ryan hart doesnt like it ..
but it was there at a time nothing else was ... and it had a good scene ..
and it had a superior online to DOA4 and DOA4 was utter shit ..
in fact I havent played sf4 since scv came out ...

plus .. repitition in that game is limited to a handfull of characters only .. and having a 3-4 hit combo repitition is pretty much like having a 3-4 string repitition in DOA .. those are fine and tolerable ..

on the other hand .. look at marvel ... where every lightjab leads to the same damn result and the same stupid combo every time ...
this is what bursts are doing ... you guys dont see it now because like I said they havent exploited it yet .. but its there and its clear as day ...

counterhit sitdown stun with a guaranteed burst... go get a coffee ... oh hes still doing his combo .. let me go take a shit till hes done and i lose 70% of my life ..

if thats what you want in a game .. then you obviously never understood DOA ..

Emperor Cow, I can't disagree with you more. We're already seeing people mixing up combos based on the environment, and mixing up whether to even do the critical burst to avoid being countered - remember you can usually counter the move, its only after it has hit that it unholdable. Yes, there are crumple stuns, but guess what, they are counterable too and you can BLOCK.

Plus the overall speed of the game and even "long combos" in DOA are not comparable to Marvel. You have plenty of options and things to think about for getting back into advantage after eating a combo, normally 5-6 hits is a long combo.

It's also not helping your case to say "you guys don't see it now" when you are in a lesser position in terms of knowledge than the people who actually tested the game and are reporting contrary to your opinion. What special knowledge do you have to claim things will turn out differently to what is being widely reported?

Honestly, I hate the group think and I support people being able to present a logical, contrary view, but your view is not logical and goes against the evidence we've seen so far.

I also have a pet peeve to please use proper grammar, capitalisation and sentence structure. It's very frustrating to read your posts.

Emperor Cow, I can't disagree with you more. We're already seeing people mixing up combos based on the environment, and mixing up whether to even do the critical burst to avoid being countered - remember you can usually counter the move, its only after it has hit that it unholdable. Yes, there are crumple stuns, but guess what, they are counterable too and you can BLOCK.

Plus the overall speed of the game and even "long combos" in DOA are not comparable to Marvel. You have plenty of options and things to think about for getting back into advantage after eating a combo, normally 5-6 hits is a long combo.

It's also not helping your case to say "you guys don't see it now" when you are in a lesser position in terms of knowledge than the people who actually tested the game and are reporting contrary to your opinion. What special knowledge do you have to claim things will turn out differently to what is being widely reported?

Honestly, I hate the group think and I support people being able to present a logical, contrary view, but your view is not logical and goes against the evidence we've seen so far.

I also have a pet peeve to please use proper grammar, capitalisation and sentence structure. It's very frustrating to read your posts.

In any case i have decided not to argue about the matter as I have already stated my concerns ..
I'm not gonna go in circles regarding this topic.

I also explained the difference of getting guaranteed setups WITH and WITHOUT burst and how very different the outcome can be as well as how MAX damage needs to be earned and not handed to you on a silver plate.

This was my opinion on the matter and I stated it. Do I like the idea of bursts? hell no.
Do I agree with you guys ? Unfortunately not.

However, I do have faith in Shinbori and his team, especially since he stated a similar concern during his interview.

Lets just end it at that.

and Aion, Thank you for being a troll. Now go back under your bridge.

what makes you think I love sf4 ? when have I ever said that ..
hell even ryan hart doesnt like it ..
but it was there at a time nothing else was ... and it had a good scene ..
and it had a superior online to DOA4 and DOA4 was utter shit ..
in fact I havent played sf4 since scv came out ...

plus .. repitition in that game is limited to a handfull of characters only .. and having a 3-4 hit combo repitition is pretty much like having a 3-4 string repitition in DOA .. those are fine and tolerable ..

on the other hand .. look at marvel ... where every lightjab leads to the same damn result and the same stupid combo every time ...
this is what bursts are doing ... you guys dont see it now because like I said they havent exploited it yet .. but its there and its clear as day ...

counterhit sitdown stun with a guaranteed burst... go get a coffee ... oh hes still doing his combo .. let me go take a shit till hes done and i lose 70% of my life ..

if thats what you want in a game .. then you obviously never understood DOA ..

Scrub.

Emperor's afraid of playing a DOA where you get punished for being out-played while the rest of us are embracing it. I hope they take the Critical Burst even further, per my suggestion in the othe thread, and it'll shut up the people like me who are complaining about "no holds in stun."

Emperor's afraid of playing a DOA where you get punished for being out-played while the rest of us are embracing it. I hope they take the Critical Burst even further, per my suggestion in the othe thread, and it'll shut up the people like me who are complaining about "no holds in stun."

acctually not true ..
infact. I am enjoying the hell out of VF5:FS ..

but then again you cannot compare the two in terms of the combo system ..

one big difference for example being the fact that you can recover before a string is complete ... (ofcourse per situation.. ).
the other thing is the deadliness of the walls in VF ..
and the presence of fences and ringouts ..

and in VF sidestepping plays a major role ..

I just dont want DOA to not play like DOA..
as I've stated before .. slower BURSTS are fine by me for example ..

but heres something akward ...
in every DOA before ... repeating the same move twice resulted in breaking the treshold leading to a knockdown or reset ... (which is a punish for the attacker)

however in DOA5 ver. 0.5 .. when you repeat a move that causes burst twice in a row .. you get ...CRITICAL BURST .. (which is a REWARD for the attacker)... you see that doesnt make any sense to me at all ...

mid chain applications i can swallow to a degree .. but that... it just doesnt click .. hell it doesnt even look right when u see the matches ... and it defies DOA physics in my opinion ...

but afraid of being out played ? that doesnt even make sense ...

however in DOA5 ver. 0.5 .. when you repeat a move that causes burst twice in a row .. you get ...CRITICAL BURST .. (which is a REWARD for the attacker)... you see that doesnt make any sense to me at all ...

This right here just proves that you actually don't read anything on these forums and have no idea what the critical burst actually is. All you see is that you lose your backdoor to every situation and cry about it.

Edit:

And please for the love of God stop putting ... after EVERY FUCKING SENTENCE. I mean damn, I know my grammar isn't all that great, but at least I try to make legible sentences. Have you ever read one of your own posts?

you...
break everything...
down...
and hit enter...
constantly...
make a damn....
paragraph!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD