[Dec 1, 2012] BEST of the Battle (San Jose, CA)

daman077c

Money is the only thing holding me back right now. Gonna cost me $70 total when money is REALLY tight. :mad:

Gotta figure out a way to make this work.

NukNuks

I'm also not used to playing DOA5 on 360 controller since I've only played it on PS3. Hopefully that won't make a difference. I have played the past doa games. Will we be playing casuals before the tournament starts? Also will any be recorded?
Yes, the venue will be open for casuals a few hours before the tournament starts. Losers, Winners, and Grand Finals will for sure be recorded.

NukNuks

have any other tournaments been decided on yet?
Nothing confirmed. The goal is to get umvc3, sf4, tekken, and maybe FIFA 13. Problem is I don't have enough monitors and consoles for those games nor do I have any of those games besides FIFA.

If anyone is interested in collaborating or providing equipment for this event please message me and we will talk.

On that note, since we have 1 PS3 available to use, anyone that wants play PS3 casuals in DOA must bring their own copy of the game.

NukNuks

Hey everyone, I have a question to ask you guys.. How would you feel about doing a round robin to determine bracket seeding? Everyone in the tourney would play everyone one time and your record in the round robin will determine where you're seeded. None of the round robin matches would count towards the double elimination. This means you can lose every round robin match and still have to be eliminated twice in the tourney. The person with the best round robin record will be placed against the person with the worst round robin record, the second best will be placed against the second worst, so on & so forth. Let me know what you all think.

Also, just to clarify, there will be plenty of DOA setups for everyone to have a chance to get casuals in. All you PS3 players will have the opportunity to get adjusted to playing 360 DOA. It's the other games that I can't provide for.

Tokkosho

not sure, it depends for me on how many show up and how long it will take. I've never done a round robin offline and online with 11 people it took 4-5 hours, but im sure its on multiple consoles(?) so as long as it goes at a decent speed im fine with that.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
Well honestly I only care to play DOA since that's what I've been training for. I don't really mind a round robin. Also is it possible to talk about getting something going more often? Like maybe casual every 2 weeks or maybe once a month? I know a lot of us don't have the time(or money) to be able to play all the time(including me) which is why I say maybe once 2 weeks or once a month. It would be cool to be able to all get together every so often, and maybe hopefully get new players/gamers involved.

I'm seriously getting tired of the community and I'm desperate for something to keep me here other wise I'm bound to disappear again.

Sixmsj

Well honestly I only care to play DOA since that's what I've been training for. I don't really mind a round robin. Also is it possible to talk about getting something going more often? Like maybe casual every 2 weeks or maybe once a month? I know a lot of us don't have the time(or money) to be able to play all the time(including me) which is why I say maybe once 2 weeks or once a month. It would be cool to be able to all get together every so often, and maybe hopefully get new players/gamers involved.

I'm seriously getting tired of the community and I'm desperate for something to keep me here other wise I'm bound to disappear again.
I'm down for casual meetups too, we should really be posting in the Norcal thread about it though.

CrimsonCJ

Hey everyone, I have a question to ask you guys.. How would you feel about doing a round robin to determine bracket seeding? Everyone in the tourney would play everyone one time and your record in the round robin will determine where you're seeded. None of the round robin matches would count towards the double elimination. This means you can lose every round robin match and still have to be eliminated twice in the tourney. The person with the best round robin record will be placed against the person with the worst round robin record, the second best will be placed against the second worst, so on & so forth. Let me know what you all think.

Also, just to clarify, there will be plenty of DOA setups for everyone to have a chance to get casuals in. All you PS3 players will have the opportunity to get adjusted to playing 360 DOA. It's the other games that I can't provide for.

If we have a relatively low number of players, sure. Two notes; one, probably do want to randomize, say, the top half of players in a seed and the bottom half of players in a seed, just to keep everyone honest. Second, the more players, the shorter the round robin rounds would need to be and probably not at all if we end up with significant numbers. Not sure how to time that precisely, though. Also; I have the games and *maybe* maybe could bring a system down for any other game or whatever but I doubt I can drag a monitor down from Reno in any fashion.

NukNuks

If we have a relatively low number of players, sure. Two notes; one, probably do want to randomize, say, the top half of players in a seed and the bottom half of players in a seed, just to keep everyone honest. Second, the more players, the shorter the round robin rounds would need to be and probably not at all if we end up with significant numbers. Not sure how to time that precisely, though. Also; I have the games and *maybe* maybe could bring a system down for any other game or whatever but I doubt I can drag a monitor down from Reno in any fashion.

not sure, it depends for me on how many show up and how long it will take. I've never done a round robin offline and online with 11 people it took 4-5 hours, but im sure its on multiple consoles(?) so as long as it goes at a decent speed im fine with that.
It will only take about an hour tops to complete the round robin especially since this is offline and there isn't the hassle of inviting players to lobbies or typing messages. Competitors will be divided 2 or more groups and will have to play everyone in their group once or twice depending on how many people show up. The person with the best overall record gets seeded at the top of the bracket against the person with the least best record. The second best record faces the second worst record at the bottom of the bracket (similar to NBA playoff brackets).

A gathering every so often sounds nice, but that's totally up to NukNuks.
Depending on the success of this event, this will give me a good idea on how often I should organize a tourney and to determine whether or not it's worth my time & money to keep on putting these together. Doing what I can to gather various sponsorships for this event. That's how I'm able to be able to offer you guys the chance win clothes, collectables, and other stuff. Which is why it is crucial that Cali DOA players we already have show up and support this event. Great to see there's someone from outside the state that wants to attend. Numbers matter to keep our community alive, and we need all we can get.

thrust07

Nothing confirmed. The goal is to get umvc3, sf4..

Hey everyone, I have a question to ask you guys.. How would you feel about doing a round robin to determine bracket seeding?

Depending on how much equipment and how many Tournament Officials (bracket runners) you have, running Marvel and SF4 along with DOA5 might be a bit ambitious. That's a lot of organizing people around, and making sure players are around to play their matches. Everyone's always going out to smoke, eat, use the restroom or in another game. I'm not saying to NOT host other games, but just be prepared and have other TOs to help out to run brackets.

If you wanted bigger turnout for SF4/Marvel games, it would be a good idea to also post up on SRK Pacific North, and be prepared to answer about what's going to happen with entry fees and such.

I highly suggest a bullhorn or two if you have no mics set up in the venue. I wouldn't mind taking shifts running a bracket with one of these. I love the look on people's faces when you're about to DQ somebody when you've called their name out 5 times in the last 30 minutes. ;)
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PMP30-Professional-Megaphone-Bullhorn/sim/B002PAZZIK/2

A round robin beforehand will affect how much time you have for the main event. If turnout is small enough, I say it would be fun and would get more people playing eachother, which is a good thing as long as time allows. I'd make that call once you have a final headcount.
Speaking of which, are you planning on having pre-registration? I've seen pre-registration via PayPal by having them pay online and submitting their gamer handles.

I hope for a good turn out, bro.

NukNuks

UPDATE

-Clout Magazine has climbed on board for sponsorship!!! Clout Magazine is the United States leading graffiti lifestyle magazine. If you would like to know more about them please check them out at http://www.cloutonline.com/

-Got a roll call of about 6 or 7 xbox's and 1 PS3 for the event so it's safe to say that UMVC3 and Street Fighter tourneys will also be taking place!

-Still looking for anyone willing lend a 360, PS3, or monitor for the event. You will be compensated with a little sumthin sumthin on tourney day if you loan your system/monitor for the event.

-I have another HUGE update that I'm keeping under wraps for now until things get finalized.

Thank everyone for your input! I took notes from everybody's suggestion on what will be needed for the day.

*original post to be updated shortly

CrimsonCJ

UPDATE

-Clout Magazine has climbed on board for sponsorship!!! Clout Magazine is the United States leading graffiti lifestyle magazine. If you would like to know more about them please check them out at http://www.cloutonline.com/

-Got a roll call of about 6 or 7 xbox's and 1 PS3 for the event so it's safe to say that UMVC3 and Street Fighter tourneys will also be taking place!

-Still looking for anyone willing lend a 360, PS3, or monitor for the event. You will be compensated with a little sumthin sumthin on tourney day if you loan your system/monitor for the event.

-I have another HUGE update that I'm keeping under wraps for now until things get finalized.

Thank everyone for your input! I took notes from everybody's suggestion on what will be needed for the day.

*original post to be updated shortly

Woah!

Doug Nguyen

I hope i can make it. I might be to full on school work and not sure if i can get a ride there. Driving on my own isnt such a good idea since im horrible at directions. I might never make it there alive.

NukNuks

UPDATE

-Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition added as tournaments!

*original post to be updated

ikodomo

If at least 4 players from SoCal go to this tournament, It be nice to have a battle between the SoCal and the NoCal players. For example, it would be great if we picked at least 4 players from each region, make a team out of that and play to see who is the best during that day.

NukNuks

If at least 4 players from SoCal go to this tournament, It be nice to have a battle between the SoCal and the NoCal players. For example, it would be great if we picked at least 4 players from each region, make a team out of that and play to see who is the best during that day.

This can happen if we can get enough SoCal players to attend. Have a quick round robin of all the NorCal players for team spots and maybe the same for the SoCal side perhaps?. Possibly even have some sort of prize up for grabs too.

Speaking of, what are all you SoCal players status in terms of attending?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD