Defending Against Aggressive Players

Wozz

Hey so, I play Hayabusa and a lot of the time I find myself having trouble against more aggressive players. I get mixed up a lot by low attacks and throws while blocking, then once I've been knocked down, they hit me with another low forcing me to get back up... Putting me in the same situation all over again.

I was wondering if anyone had any general advice when facing aggressive opponents like this. I know there's no real answer since it's a sort of rock, paper, scissors game, but I was just hoping I could get some general advice as to what to do in these situations. For example, a good, quick attack to use during an opponents frame disadvantage, or should I be more on the offense rather than defense? Just general tips that would help me learn to take advantage of the situation, rather than get my ass kicked haha. Anyways, thanks, I appreciate any help.

Sam Sultan

Like you said there is no straight answer to this and it al depends on what your opponent is trying to do. However i can give you the following tips.

Does he force you up very time you hit the ground? Then try to avoid that by tech rolling. Otherwise use the wake up kicks to knock your opponent away from you. If the tech roll puts you in a situation in which you have no other option but to block again due to the advantage that a standing player has over a tech rolling opponent then try to use the side step to avoid there attack and hit them back.

Are you in a situation in which your opponent is very aggressive and is throwing all kind of strikes at you then try using Hayabusa's :4::P+K: or one of his side step moves.

Basically the best moves of Hayabusa to use against an aggressive player are:
:4::P+K:
:2::H+K:
:7::K:
:8::P:
:3::P+K:
Again what you should do really depends on what your opponent is doing and you will learn over time how to deal with different kind of players so just keep on playing you'll get there.

Wozz

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the response. I think one of my problems is I don't sidestep nearly enough. I guess that stems from being used to 2D fighters.

d3v

It's the same concept as in 2D. Forcing you up when you're knocked down is this game's version of vortex. You just need to find the best reversals out of knockdown (rising kicks, rolling, etc.).

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
It's the same concept as in 2D. Forcing you up when you're knocked down is this game's version of vortex. You just need to find the best reversals out of knockdown (rising kicks, rolling, etc.).

Except you can't space, so its a broken format.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Not as "broken" as guaranteed unblockables from knockdown.

You mean force techs? They aren't broken at all in my eyes. I just view them as the last part of the original combo and, in the end, all it grants is frame advantage and a little chicken scratch.

The broken part was being unable to prevent yourself from getting put there in a logical or reactive manner (thanks to a lack of good movement), and being unable to get out in a logical or reactive manner (thanks to a lack of throw breaks and too many NH low stuns).

synce

It is stupid that you can't break a neutral throw that takes over 1/3 HP and puts you at disadvantage... At least make the single input throws breakable

d3v

You mean force techs? They aren't broken at all in my eyes. I just view them as the last part of the original combo and, in the end, all it grants is frame advantage and a little chicken scratch.

The broken part was being unable to prevent yourself from getting put there in a logical or reactive manner (thanks to a lack of good movement), and being unable to get out in a logical or reactive manner (thanks to a lack of throw breaks and too many NH low stuns).
I was talking about the 2D equivalent. AE2012 unblockables which mean that you can't do anything to defend on wakeup if someone is able to start vortex on you. It is similar to force techs which is why I was making the comparison, seeing as the OP comes from a 2D background (in any case, this kind of wakeup game has been part of 2D ever since ST Vega).

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I was talking about the 2D equivalent. AE2012 unblockables which mean that you can't do anything to defend on wakeup if someone is able to start vortex on you. It is similar to force techs which is why I was making the comparison, seeing as the OP comes from a 2D background (in any case, this kind of wakeup game has been part of 2D ever since ST Vega).

Well if you can't do anything, then that's an infinite... and the game really is broken.

Sounds to me like I don't fully comprehend the situation though.

d3v

Well if you can't do anything, then that's an infinite... and the game really is broken.

Sounds to me like I don't fully comprehend the situation though.
2D community likes their broken shit. Also, there is a bit of an execution barrier to it. Besides, it's a reaction to all the stupid BS Dimps put in to nerf offense in SFIV. Being able to mash reversals out of blockstrings and missed 1 frame links is almost as retarded as hold out of stun.

On a related note, is it safe to say that Helena is the Viper of DOA5?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
2D community likes their broken shit. Also, there is a bit of an execution barrier to it. Besides, it's a reaction to all the stupid BS Dimps put in to nerf offense in SFIV. Being able to mash reversals out of blockstrings and missed 1 frame links is almost as retarded as holds.

On a related note, is it safe to say that Helena is the Viper of DOA5?

I couldn't tell you that.

I can tell you that she is a cunt, however.

dawnbringer

Safe jumps in 2D games are pretty close to forced tech in this game.

Reactions: d3v
when im faced with an overly aggressive opponent, I use a lot of high crushes, characters like kasumi, koko, rig, christi and helena (surprisingly helena) have a lot of High quick framed moves, so the high crush puts you both in a critical advantage and also great dmg.

and also if your good at throw punishing holds, a lot of times after the crush when they are in critical state they will throw one out from being surprised, sounds silly i know but it happens 99% of the time.

SilverForte

Most chars strikes are - on block, so learn the frames, and go for a throw punish or a crush of some sort, or just plain attack. Of course online it doesn't really seem to matter but eh.

Kurt

Agressive players are easy to defeat, and heres why:

Almost all moves are unsafe on block, especially strings, so its completely impossible to chain string after string like most beginners do, simply block the entire string, and immediatly enter a quick move or a launcher, and magic happens your move will be quicker because you are at Frame advantage, and you will Score a Counterhit-

And please DON,T try to Throw a Beginner unless he whiffes a Hold, you won't succed, Strike always beats Throw even at huge Frame Disatvantage.

Throws and Mindgames only work at higher level play, but in this game, where even complete Noobs are ranked S+, forget it

FlamingMuffin

Almost all moves are unsafe on block, especially strings, so its completely impossible to chain string after string like most beginners do, simply block the entire string, and immediatly enter a quick move or a launcher, and magic happens your move will be quicker because you are at Frame advantage, and you will Score a Counterhit-

Yes, it is likely you will score a CH.

And please DON,T try to Throw a Beginner unless he whiffes a Hold, you won't succed, Strike always beats Throw even at huge Frame Disatvantage.

No. A throw is guaranteed after a certain amount of disadvantage (and which throw you perform).

SilverForte

Oh hey. it's tidalleaf, I remember you from SCIV, the mina player, welcome.

Anyways, yeah. tidal is right. Throws are guaranteed after certain amounts of disadvatage, they are typically the best form of punishment because of this.

Tones

Premium Donor
You sound inactive. Not defensive, inactive. Inactive is sitting around holding guard, and thinking "Okay, how do I beat him at his own game..."

You have to play your game. Not theirs.

Proper defense will let do the following:
  • Break their rhythm.
  • For that point in time, render their major tool in the game obsolete.
  • Provide an opening for you to be on the offensive.
  • Provide SOME damage.
  • Prevent them from capitalizing on their damage.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD