Delete nicknames?

E24K Lawson

Say that you're not happy with a nickname you entered in the past for Time Attack or Survival Mode. Is it possible to get rid of the mickname(s) you don't want permanently? I tried resetting my game data a few times in the past, but it didn't work, so I'm just curious if there's another method that doesn't include me getting rid of my save data for all my other Xbox games.

Last edited:

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
As far as I can tell, no. You can delete the current nickname from the Xbox itself, but that doesn't remove the nicknames from DOA3's save. Sadly, it seems that the only way to remove them would be to delete the DOA3 save entirely.

You can open DOA3's save file in a hex editor and see the stored nicknames, but interestingly it seems that trying to edit them or remove them breaks the save file completely.

Last edited:

E24K Lawson

As far as I can tell, no. You can delete the current nickname from the Xbox itself, but that doesn't remove the nicknames from DOA3's save. Sadly, it seems that the only way to remove them would be to delete the DOA3 save entirely.

You can open DOA3's save file in a hex editor and see the stored nicknames, but interestingly it seems that trying to edit them or remove them breaks the save file completely.
So you're telling me I need to mod my Xbox to get rid of any nicknames I don't want? I mean, I'm gonna end up deleting my save data for DOA3 and DOA2U so I can have fun unlocking everything for those games again, but I don't see myself modding any of my consoles any time soon, so I guess I might as well live with those two minor mistakes.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
You misunderstand. I was saying that, as far as I know, there is no way to remove the nicknames at all. With or without modding.

On the subject of modding though, you really should mod your Xbox. It's just the smart thing to do. Leaving an Xbox stock is a very bad idea because 1) HDD locking renders the entire console unusable when the HDD fails, and 2) you should never play Xbox games via the discs because the Xbox DVD drives have extremely high failure rates these days (dead ones are largely becoming more common than working ones).

With a modded system you can bypass the HDD locking issue by either entirely removing the need for locking, or by at least nulling your HDD key, so that even when locked, the Xbox can still be easily recovered. A modded system also allows you to play games from the HDD, so that you no longer have to keep wearing out your aging DVD drive. Playing from the HDD also provides faster load times and it's just much more convenient to have all of your games loaded to the HDD so you don't need to get up and swap discs. When you want to switch games, just exit to the dashboard and launch another game.

Not to mention all the other benefits you get such as transferring saves, emulation, disabling the region lock (so that you can play DOA3.1!), game mods (like DOA3++!) and access to all of the old Xbox Live DLC for all games. Modding an Xbox is braindead easy too. There's no good reason not to do it.

And lastly, the obligatory mention of the clock capacitor. This isn't related to modding, but whether your Xbox is modded or not, get this thing out of your Xbox before it destroys the motherboard (unless you have a 1.6).

E24K Lawson

You misunderstand. I was saying that, as far as I know, there is no way to remove the nicknames at all. With or without modding.

On the subject of modding though, you really should mod your Xbox. It's just the smart thing to do. Leaving an Xbox stock is a very bad idea because 1) HDD locking renders the entire console unusable when the HDD fails, and 2) you should never play Xbox games via the discs because the Xbox DVD drives have extremely high failure rates these days (dead ones are largely becoming more common than working ones).

With a modded system you can bypass the HDD locking issue by either entirely removing the need for locking, or by at least nulling your HDD key, so that even when locked, the Xbox can still be easily recovered. A modded system also allows you to play games from the HDD, so that you no longer have to keep wearing out your aging DVD drive. Playing from the HDD also provides faster load times and it's just much more convenient to have all of your games loaded to the HDD so you don't need to get up and swap discs. When you want to switch games, just exit to the dashboard and launch another game.

Not to mention all the other benefits you get such as transferring saves, emulation, disabling the region lock (so that you can play DOA3.1!), game mods (like DOA3++!) and access to all of the old Xbox Live DLC for all games. Modding an Xbox is braindead easy too. There's no good reason not to do it.

And lastly, the obligatory mention of the clock capacitor. This isn't related to modding, but whether your Xbox is modded or not, get this thing out of your Xbox before it destroys the motherboard (unless you have a 1.6).
Thanks for the advice and such, but my Xbox's production year is 2004, so the clock capacitor shouldn't be an issue for me. I've had my Xbox for five years now, and not once has it shown any signs of failure or damaged any of my games.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD