Devil's Third: the long lost brother of NG/DOA? (Retrospective talk)

Moneyspider_Todd

Devil's Third; the last game directed by Tomonobu Itagaki, the creator of Dead Or Alive and the face behind the revival of the Ninja Gaiden franchise (and the partnership between Tecmo and Microsoft during the original XBOX days). Vallhalla Studios, the team behind D3rd, was even compromised of former Team Ninja members that left Tecmo alongside Itagaki. Sadly, the game had an horrible fate in the middle of console gen shift, game engine shifts, dead of the original publisher, content changing, and a deal with nintendo that even today felt like a forced partnership between both parties. At last, the game launched as a WiiU exclusive in consoles featuring the single player story mode of Ivan and his quest to get rid of his former comrades of the "School Of Democracy", and a F2P PC version that didn't even had a chance in the market. Devil's Third failed to find an audience (aside of internet trolls), and nowadays lives as a anomally, due to it's nature, the "chosen" console of launch and it's rarity to find a physical copy.

To me, Devil's Third it's like the long lost brother to the ninja gaiden/DOA games in a more Metal Gear setting, or even a B-Movie version to the AAA Blockbuster series from Konami and their former team Kojima Studios, which doesn't meant to said is bad or worse, as B-movie enthusiasts can say about modest budget action movies. Sadly i haven't had the chance to play it yet, but to be honest I've always enjoyed Itagaki's work, more in DOA than Ninja Gaiden to be honest. And from boss rush gameplay vids the game looks pretty fun. Even on these days, Devil's Third and Smash WiiU are my main reasons to get a WiiU if i had a chance (and Tekken Tag 2, specially for the wacky Nintendo modes and costumes XD). I even see D-3rd as the game Bayman could have got if he had the chance to get his own game.

So... what do you think about Devil's Third? Do you played on WiiU or the F2P version of PC? Do you have any memories of it? Would you like to see more of Ivan, C-4 and company?

EDIT/UPDATE/DISCLAIMER:
i did the Devil's Third post without knowing about Itagaki's involvement with NFTs. Please understand that i don't condone or support NFTs in any kind of way. I love his previous works, but not enough to support shady business ventures and fraud schemes with fancy names.

Devil's Third Gameplay

Bonus video from my Twitter XD

Last edited:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Devil's Third was super underrated and I personally love the game. I can see why people didn't like it or bother to play because there was an extremely negative stigma around it before it was released. People calling it "Devil's Turd." Critics saw that and instantly threw it in the bin.

I played it and I would at least give it a 7.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD