Diego Troubles

Diegomain

Hey everyone, I am looking for a few tips on how to play Diego better.

Currently I am C- and have a firm understanding on game mechanics. The problem I have is that I feel like almost all of my attacks are very poor range and priority making them easy to counter hit. My current understanding of Diego is to play safe, land one hit and take it for big damage. However other characters like Kasumi, Ryu, Ayane and many others seem to always counter my attacks from pretty far range. If they are not countering my attacks by ducking them since Diego is so tall, they are doing some crazy flipping attack in the air dodging all my lows.

I feel like so many other characters can put you in long block string mixes and still land a critical stun where as I have to block or dodge and land a clean hit myself. Maybe I am playing him the right way but just need more practice. Or maybe I can get some advice from DOA regulars. Right now my goal is to keep improving and getting to B rank. Counter-hits and my lack mixup knowledge/options are starting lose me games when playing people better than I am. Thanks for reading.

Diegomain

So after labbing some today I found that I should be adding more mid strikes to the game plan.

6p+k is +2 on block and +17 on hit. From hit I can go into 6p a mid that is +20 into launcher from 5kp or 8k. Or I can mix p4p for a HH +74 into launch or I can do a throw rest from 1k which ends in +11 perfect for his HCF command grab that moves forward and grabs on the 13th frame.

I can also track side steppers with H+K and I can do the exact same mixes as above from a medium kick instead of punch. However this move is minus on block.

I made it to C rank today and I feel with this new game plan I can make it to B rank. However I would love to see someone else play Diego. I don't have many long block strings and I feel like I just play really safe for such a rush down character.

ADR JaiDe N

Anti- SS [Side-Step] toolset

4P, 4PP ect, a very fast mid spinning back-fist(s) , remember to keep this in your arsenal when bitches start getting desperate and spamming Side Step

1PP is very useful as well

Also , 9K is better than 8K as a launcher, more height ( his BEST launcher is 4K . *backturned* P+K ...super fucken high )

Diego is very good, he's fast AND strong, he excels at pressure-rushdown playstyle, but you could play him safer if you like as well.

He only has 69 Moves, so he's not complicated at all.

I might provide more information in the future as well, If I pick him up.

Don't forget you can easily do your own research on youtube and watch others use him and get ideas of what to incorporate into your own game.

ADR JaiDe N

Positive frames

His basic PPPP string / 46P is +6 on block ! +19 if you want to charge the last P . .... you run the risk of it being 35 start-up frames, prone to interruption, but charging it can very lucrative...here's why; it puts you at +19 (on BLOCK) ! from here , you get FREE moves essentially! since Diego is generally pretty fast , a lot of moves will now penetrate your opponents guard on the basis that your opponent is staggered and recovering from a negative state still, so much that faster moves get through this guard . see for yourself.

basic KK is + 9 on block as well

1K is a very good move to mix up with, its +11 ( assuming they block standing )

2H+K is +6 ( assuming they guard standing ) and it's tracking as well

4PP/ P4PP is +2 on block and it's tracking lol...

Diegomain

@GarryJaune
Yea, these moves I am heavily using at the moment. I'm thinking they can take me all the way to A class to be honest. As long as I block properly Diego really does have range and advantage with these moves. Diego is my only main only doing the combo challenges for Hitomi, Kasumi and Bass. I know Diego is very good overall but do other characters have safe pressure like this? If not, what other styles besides grapple/rushdown are there? After learning a bit more about this game he is feeling super crazy good in C rank.

@ADR JaiDe N
Yes I have been putting pressure on block from these moves. As you mentioned they are very good on paper and have everything you need. However once you start rising the ranks it gets much harder to land a PPPP combo or even 4PP as Diego is so tall. Right now I play a safe Diego without many block strings. You said this is an ok way to play but I want to add more rush down elements to my game plan once I get in there. I will certainly be looking out to S/U rank Diego players on YouTube, here and Reddit for some tips.

ADR JaiDe N

I play him for fun and easy wins online , I am by no means claiming to be an expert or anything on him - I have limited knowledge.

As for 4PP? Yes, correct it's HIGH-hit level move, it's positive on block and it tracks if they try to side step . only it gets beat out is by high holds or low holds/ 2P ducking.

I beat good Diego players simply by holding their mid punches, crushing their offensive momentum. Basically, that can be interpreted into; if you play Diego don't rely solely on mid punches, mix it up with throws and a few lows , that's really all there is too it - and Side Step has its place, I'm not saying to go crazy and spam it , but it definitely has utility in a rushdown play style too, and also to punish people.

When you start stacking the pressure on PPPP becomes very useful, because you can delay the string or not even finish it when your opponent has otherwise been conditioned to expect it -thus opening them up to low sweeps , throws , launchers ect.

PPPP the 1st PP ( are both HIGH ) the 2nd PP ( are both MID )

When they start to side step you, I don't care : you start throwing out those 4PP's to make them respect you.

for MIDs? you also have 6PPP , preferably don't finish the combo , only do the 1st 2 hits if they connect, as the 3rd gives a reset knocking the opponent over. 6P is a 12'frame mid punch...pretty nasty man...6PP to test them , and block .

7PP +21 gives a nice stun on hit same a 9P +35 ,

The main thing about Diego, he has all the right tools and attributes to succeed in this game against the strong classed characters , it's just a matter of reading your opponent.

Diegomain

Thanks man! Solid tips and I appreciate you helping my game out. I feel the same way about Diego after labbing a couple days and asking around, that he has all the tools he needs. Are other characters this well rounded? Diego will be my main for a long time but I'm going to buy them one character a week. I wonder how other people can have this stuff but still be so different lol.

Thanks again for responding. I'm really loving this game and it's super fun. I'm going to try and make a few East Coast events from the world tour. Hope to take this advice there.

Last edited:

GarryJaune

it's always happy to share doa knowledge with hardcore players
ps :I am so jealous that you can enjoy doa6 major events lol

Diegomain

I haven't had much time to play however I did manage to make it to C+.

I seem to now have problems with how to pressure my opponent with tools other than 1P and 6p+k. I also have a tough time landing highs on some of the smaller characters now. When I get a knockdown I have a hard time trying to keep the pressure on them. I feel like they are at the advantage somehow. Lastly block strings from opponents seem to be much longer and I don't know when to tech a throw or it's my turn because it's not as clear.

I'm thinking I should learns all the moves and combos from the other characters in the tutorial section and just keep playing online. Anything else I should be trying to keep rising?

Diegomain

I hope you guys don't care about multiple post. It's all about DOA and I don't know where else to post it

I just played a bit this morning and had moderate success at C+. My biggest problems are low holds. Diego is so tall most my launchers/critical stuns come from high and even in the middle of the combo they can sometimes guess wrong on low hold and still punish me. This problem then leads me into the next which is Diego has no good lows. Sure 1P is a 16 frame tracking low and 1k critical stuns on counter hit, but that's all he has.

1k has very poor range and is hard to land a counter hit reliably and sometimes I win rounds by only switching up the timing on 1p and 1pp. He get's no combos from low that I am aware of and there are no block strings that incorporate a good low. So often times they spam safe low/mid pokes at me getting around a most of my offense and stand block when not attacking. I can firmly say his moves are amazing when they hit and his High/Mid mix is amazing, but his height combined with poor low move selection makes him just a decently well rounded character with a lack of lows and nothing more. I'm hoping with more practice I can figure something out. I was watching U ranks online and they somehow land 4pp from neutral state. If I ever try throwing that move out I am instantly countered because it's a slow move, held because it's HH or most likely just get blown up from a mid or low. I don't even see high ranks go for lows but somehow they land a lot of high attacks. I'm still winning more than losing but I can see his weaknesses starting to slow me down.

Last edited:

Diegomain

I just Hit B- rank. Nothing really new to add except I need to start throwing people way more and abusing 1p and 1pp. Even though it's not the most exciting spamming the same move over and over once you get them to block low it's all over. Until then you get nice damage off of 1pp. I'll check back after a rank up. It's cool if I just document my travels here and hopefully help someone along the way but am always looking for tips. I'll upload a match if anyone would like to see my style. until then have a good one!
20190404161710_1.jpg

Diegomain

Made it to B this Saturday just hanging out.

Im confident Diego is a high mid tier that has no good lows. This means I can beat people I am better than easily but when I play against someone who knows how to stop 1K and 1PP I cannot beat them. At least right now with the knowledge I have. There is no broken or lame button I can spam and hope to win when I don't know what to do. I need to block, dodge and punish properly. Game 1 is always way eaiser than game 2 or 3 because I do the exact same strings since I only have 68 moves and they are still busting out new stuff in game 3.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
When you get a chance, see if you can post your matches. Especially the characters you feel you struggle the most in. I recently provided a video on some damage portions and using 236P fully charged near a wall after a bound is a bigger damage profit, I also added unholdables for wake up situations etc.

ADR JaiDe N

Just 1p is slow , follow up with 1PP to finish it .

otherwise poke low with 2p instead

1K is also 'OK' for low . if it connects its a decent stun - even mid punch string you can throw it in - also 2 H+K

He has no 'combos/strings' that have lows build it ( im pretty sure) so you need to use his other tools

1PP 2P 1K 2H+K ect.

People expect the pressure of Diego , take advantage with mix-ups and throw punish them for blocking

ADR JaiDe N

for pressure ,

throws are always an option - but you need to read your opponent and make judgements based off of how they react to you.

As for opponents? Don't be too hard on yourself - with time you will come to predict what moves your opponents are most likely to throw out, for each character.

The more they use a combo on you, the more you will come to expect it and know when it's your turn; this is where it can be a little complicated because of +/- frames and move properties. Knowing the combo moves people like to commonly throw out wouldn't hurt either. The more you play, the more you will catch on and take notice of moves people like to use which each character.

LOW HOLD can be/is a deliberate strategy people employ, it ducks HIGHs and it's similar to using a 2P to crush HIGHs as well. IF you see someone low holding, you can throw punish them if you're on the ball.

I mentioned previously, 4K. (BACK TURNED) P+K gives his highest launcher[2.38 m], higher than 7K.9K [2.00 m] fatal stun setup L0L

One thing ; I see Diego's using 8K[HIGH] as a launcher. when 9K is naturally a bit better, more damage more height and it's a MID , but they are basically the same when used in combo from stun, 9K is prefered more height and it's a MID

Use this setup to practice ; 7PP . 4K. P+K . I have a better damage setup , but this one is nice and clean .

The plan is to stun them enough or make them guess wrong and connect the 4K.P+K launcher followed by; S,S,S < his best juggle filler > leaving options with AERIAL THROW / PPPP(charged) OR just S,S,S,S(breakblow/cancel) and chain it all again.

The thing about S,S,S < the 3rd strike makes them bounce giving you more options for damage , more so than his basic PPPP juggle. He doesn't have too many options in the air - he's better on the ground . In the juggles, you'll be using the same template stuff. So it's a given to excel in the pressure/mix-ups game on the ground - proper juggle execution will only further his damage.

It also pays to throw in some Side Steps every now and then , they can really crush linear attack . ridiculous .

Keep using 6P+K , it's +2 on block , very handy

Last edited:

ADR JaiDe N

- they need to be conditioned to defend his guard breaks and charged attacks/past punches , then you throw them or side step when they try to counter attack . In the right hands and played properly Diego is very good IMO . But his distance tool are Meh. You make him wiff his strings or make him second guess and it's over. I butt fucked a U ranked with RIG who is inferior for quick damage wise IMO , lost 1 game, win the 2 after..they didn't even reply when I said GG..I got in their head L0L .

Also, if they like to throw low holds , CRUSH them with MIDs and launch them [9K] immediately L0L good luck .

Last edited:

ADR JaiDe N

I encourage you to test out his moves in training as they STAND GUARD . wise to use the moves that leave you more positive on block .

EDIT: you want to finish the combo , all 3 hits so you're left@ -5 on block otherwise you'll be @ -10/-14 6PPP

6PK -5 as well . not too bad on block

3PP -3 on block

KK ? good range +9 on block . 1K couples nicely +11

4PP is tracking + its +2 on block and gives guard break lol

Last edited:

Diegomain

Sorry for the late response my game was broken after the newest update and I haven't had a chance to play properly. The new Steam feature with the most recent update causes graphics to downgrade for better stability and it caused me screen taring and FPS drops. But I now fixed it and even though the grapics are bad I don't have FPS drops or screen taring in game. Also I can change the settings to 1080p High settings on replay.

@DestructionBomb Your YouTube channel is a MUST sub to channel if anyone plays DOA. You have some advanced Tech and I think I am a step or two away from applying some of the things you posted. I will try and get some new footage of a more recent game but because the new update broke my game I only have replays from a week ago.

@ADR JaiDe N Thanks for all the solid tips and taking the time to type that. Personally I found out my problem. Diego is a 50%Rushdown and 50%Grapples. I need to learn to throw much more. His 41236T moves his forward quite a bit and does a ton of damage with or without counter. So when I am about 1 or 2 dashes away and I am pestering them with 1PP, 4K, 5P+K or anything else I use I need to mix in 66T and 41236T and this is make them SO scared. After a few throws and 1PP they start getting scared and stand to take the 4PP and leave me at +2. At this point I win if I don't lose momentum. I also need to be better at pressuring the get up attack. I am plateauing at B rank at the moment but I finally can see a much better way to play Diego and how my game can improve a ton.

One thing I want to mention is that even though 9K is a faster start up it has 5 more recovery frames than 8K. So because of you I mix 9K all the time and it destroys people but it's after a 9K the only to get get a Break Blow is immediately after the 9K but 8K recovers faster to let you do KP into Break Blow for a bit more damage. That's one situation I know 8K is better but 90% of the time 9K is better. KK being +9 on block is absurd. If I get someone who doesn't counter I will destroy them with that move. The first K even tracks so it beats side steppers lol.

Call me novice but I am learning how to Block or Throw Break after I do a move that is minus so I am learning when it's my turn a whole lot better. Also I am pressuring with a throw or another attack after they are at a minus or I am a plus.

If anyone is on PC we can do a lobby. I would love a mirror match or a Rig match. Rig is tough because he is just out of range when spaced well but it feels like an awesome and fair match both going back and forward with momentum.

Mayor-Of-Mustard

Anyone got any advice for fighting against ninjas (mainly Ayane lol. I love playing Ayane but im trash fighting against her) as Diego?
(shh dont tell FoN I asked this jk jk)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD