Differences between PSX and Xbox versions

TRI Mike

Hey guys, I'm interested in knowing which are the differences between the PSX and Xbox versions of DOA1. I read somewhere that the Xbox version is what you call "DOA++" but I'm not sure. If yes, could anyone state the differences¿

Thanks in advance.

x Sypher x

^ Actually the PSX version is known as "DOA++", the Xbox version on the other hand is known as "DOAU" (Dead Or Alive Ultimate). Just clearing that up, I don't really know the differences however.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
DOA++ was never released to consoles. It was an enhanced version of the PS1 console release only for arcades. The Sega Saturn console version (which came out 2 versions before DOA++) was what was ported to the Xbox system under Dead or Alive Ultimate.

The chronological order is the following:

Dead or Alive (Arcade) > Dead or Alive (Sega Saturn) > Dead or Alive (PlayStation) > Dead or Alive++ (Arcade)

Each were slightly different versions of the previous. Dead or Alive (PS) had the graphics of Dead or Alive++ but the game system of Dead or Alive (SS). Dead or Alive++ was a hybrid of the series between the Dead or Alive system and the Dead or Alive 2 system. Dead or Alive 2 came out 6 months later.

Unlike Dead or Alive (PS), Dead or Alive++ has a 6 point advanced hold in stun and a 2 point normal hold + a 2 point advanced hold out of stun. Performing the high and low advanced holds in stun would perform the 2 point normal holds. Additionally it was the first of the series to make :H+P: the standard throw macro, and all offensive holds were set to directional :h: commands. Just to name a few differences that is.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
If you're using MAME then you have to be running it on a 64-bit Operating System in order to play it. If you have a 32-bit Operating System then your options are either Mame64 or Zinc. Zinc is the better one at emulating the game.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I think a few costumes are missing from the Xbox version, tough I haven't unlocked everything in DOAU1. No Bass or ayane as far as I know.

You should either go for ++ or the PSOne version. There is an exploit in the PSOne version where you can set the settings to default, but go back and switch it to your preference and the game would still think you're on default options. Makes unlocking costumes easier, though not for much else.

++ has a few nice little touches such as Raidou's taunt lighting up his eyes. I don't know if you can save the board configs on the emulator.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
The Xbox version is a port of the Sega Saturn version which pre-dates the Playstation version.

DriftSlave

Ok I have a question, In my local Pizza joint, they have an old NeoGeo Cabinet with DOA1 however it's different from the normal Sega Model 2 version. I only seen 1 youtube video showing footage of this version that is here.

like one noticeable difference is Kasumi's :6::6::H+K: looks different...Is the version at this Pizza place a bootleg version?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD