DOA 5 Tina Thread

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
So VirtuaPai and I got to spend a lot of time with Tina at GVN this past weekend (and also had some pretty awesome mirror matches). I'm sure he'll come in at some point to tell you what he thinks, but here are some thoughts I have of her:

- She plays totally unlike she does in any other DOA. I have the most experience with her in 3.1, and the first thing I noticed was that virtually none of her guaranteed throw setups from that game work in 5. The only one that still worked was that you could guarantee a ground throw if you end a juggle with her air throw near a wall, but the timing is stricter. Rikuto assured me that there are definitely setups that can be done, but they're still testing stuff out to see what works and what doesn't.

- :6::6::K: causes a stun that can't be held out of immediately and it's safe on block (I think. Either that or no one was punishing it), so it's a pretty solid tool for getting in.

- :4::6::P: causes a guard break.

- :8::P: causes a sit down stun. VP was using :6::6::K:, :8::P:, :3::3::K:, and the big swing air throw as a basic combo. Even though it's not guaranteed, the :8::P: was pretty difficult to hold. It did about 25% life, too. Nasty.

- :6::6::F+P: is an offensive hold that guarantees a ground throw if you do it near a wall.

- Her :1::P: slip stun mixup from 3.1 still kind of works. You just need to stun the opponent regularly first, and then hit :1::P: to get the slip stun.

- Her shining wizard (running throw) is not an offensive hold anymore. I was told it wasn't in 4 either, but I didn't spend too much time with that game.

- Her sidestep game is pretty solid. :K: coming out of a sidestep is a low kick identical to :1::K:, and I believe it crushes the same way. :P: coming out of a sidestep looked to be a mid similar to :6::P:, but I'm not too sure.

- :1::K: doesn't guarantee a ground throw on counter or high counter the way it did in 3.1. It can be teched, but the opponent has to do it quickly. I was catching some people with it, but anyone who knew what they were doing was able to escape it every time.

- In 3.1, you could do :P::P::F+P: after a launch for major damage against lightweights and middleweights. Even though the gravity has been changed in DOA 5 to allow Tina to use her air throw after a launch, this juggle still doesn't work unless you're on a slope. As a result, the best she can do after a launch is just a regular air throw.

All in all, I feel as though Tina is pretty solid in DOA 5. At this point, I still think she's weaker overall than she was in 3.1, but she's definitely better than she was in 2U and 4. Anywho, that's all I've got. If I think of more, I'll post. Discuss or ask questions if you've got 'em!

kupo

I might try Tina in DOA 5, I've always been interested in her gameplay but never really dedicated the time learning the character. Good stuff Dr. Teeth.

Skilletor

Is the JO Cyclone a hold down move like DoA4, or is it a WS move like DoA2 or 3?

Good stuff on that information. I <3 Tina.

Renarism

Ah, I loved my time with Tina at Hot Import Nights IPL tournament...
I feel she is A LOT stronger in DOA5 compared to 4 as and definitely 2U as well.
She is a beast with damage and her throw set ups work well (for me anyway) to pull off massive damage...

You can also get a guaranteed ground throw (2 if the opponent tries for a wake up kick) if you end a juggle with *UP punch* or any move that smashes the opponent to the ground. In one of my videos you'll notice that a 7-hit combo I did took massive health damage on critical. (:1::P:, :3: :K::P:,:3::3::P:,:6::6::P::P::K:, :2::F:)

Doa_Eater

Have you guys had chance to breakdown Tina's critical burst game. I assume 7ppp and 3ppp are just critical bursts if they are charged on the last punch, also is 7ppp any good as a start up combo now?

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Skilletor, I believe JO Cyclone is while rising. I didn't get any time in training mode or time to run through her move list, but it seems like the buttons are closest to her DOA 4/D incarnations.

And Chris, as others have said before my edit, :3::3::P::P::P: is not a CB move. The only ones that are are :7::P::P::P: and :6::P+K:. :7::P::P::P: is useless. It's way too slow to connect. VirtuaPai said that your best bet when it comes to landing it would be to mixup with free canceling and throws, but even then it's kinda risky. :6::P+K: is her CB move of choice. It comes out quick, does good damage, and even when you don't use it to CB, your opponent still can't hold out of the stun right away.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Have you guys had chance to breakdown Tina's critical burst game. I assume 7ppp and 3ppp are just critical bursts if they are charged on the last punch, also is 7ppp any good as a start up combo now?
-:7::P::P::p; is just to slow to pull off as a successful critical burst, unless you play the mixup with the last :P: and F cancel and Do a Throw. I do not remember :3::P::P::P: being a critical burst, but with such a short time with the game, it very well could have been.

-Overall, Tina Just feels different. Her tools that she once emphasized in no longer work, and you have to play her in a Doa5 style which is not bad, but different. I must say that I do love the new SS system, and I love Doing her SS~Throw, or SS:K:

TRI Mike

She's most likely gonna be my main girl in the game. I've always been interested in learning her since the DOA3 days but never actually focused on that because of Fang and Hele. Does she have any kind of "refloat" to allow her to juggle before air throwing after a launch¿

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
She's most likely gonna be my main girl in the game. I've always been interested in learning her since the DOA3 days but never actually focused on that because of Fang and Hele. Does she have any kind of "refloat" to allow her to juggle before air throwing after a launch¿

Not that I could find and, to be honest, I'd be shocked if there was one. The height required for her air throw is still pretty high, and I couldn't even get one jab in before an air throw, let alone a relaunch. If you want to juggle into a throw, your best bet is to end the juggle with any move that slams the opponent to the ground and go for the ground throw instead.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
She has some moves that extend the float, but I doubt it will allow for an air throw. Most attacks that refloat, allow you to increase the height slightly higher than it would have if you did any other attack.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
Thought of some more stuff worth sharing:

- :F+K: can be used to set up an air throw on counter or high counter. I was using it after a situation where Tina was at advantage to beat out my opponent's attacks and was landing it pretty consistently. Be careful when you use it though. If it gets stuffed, it leaves Tina in BT. This is particularly an issue against fast characters like Kasumi or Christie.

- :8::P: can still be used to set up a low tick throw (normal hit only).

- Some of Tina's throws change depending on whether something hits on counter or high counter. Her neutral throw is a prime example of this. If it connects on normal hit, it's the same :F+P: she's had since forever. If the same move connects on counter or high counter though, it becomes the GTS. The same thing with her Fisherman's Buster. Instead of being chargeable like it was in 4, it will now give you the Diamond Cutter on normal, the Fisherman's Buster on counter, and whatever the third one was on high counter.

- :6::P::P::P: can no longer be used to set up ground throws after a launch like in 3.1.

- Several of her holds are now chain throws and have new follow ups.

- Her mid kick advanced hold leaves the opponent in BT and puts Tina at advantage. I unfortunately didn't get any time to mess around with this and see what can be guaranteed afterwards, though.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
She still does redonkulous damage on her throw on hi-counter still right?

Define redonkulous. As a grappler, she still deals good damage with her throws on counter and high counter, but some do more than others. Was there a throw in particular you were thinking of?

Doa_Eater

I'm sorry i made a mistake in the first post, the second combo critical burst i was thinking was 4ppp the new chop moves she gets from Bass, i remember it having CB properties in the E3 Tina video (meaning unholdable?). Also hope that move is a good juggle finish and blows opponents quite far into walls and danger zones.

Dr. Teeth

Standard Donor
I'm sorry i made a mistake in the first post, the second combo critical burst i was thinking was 4ppp the new chop moves she gets from Bass, i remember it having CB properties in the E3 Tina video (meaning unholdable?). Also hope that move is a good juggle finish and blows opponents quite far into walls and danger zones.

Tina only had 2 CB moves in the build I played, and that string wasn't one of them. Her only CB moves are :7::P::P::P: and :6::P+K:. As for its use in juggles, I'm not too sure it'll be all that practical. It's pretty slow, so I don't think you'll be able to fully connect with it after a launch, but I never actually tried so we'll see.

Can't see the video as it's not available in my country, but I can tell you that both the Diamond Cutter and JO Cyclone deal really good damage on high counter. Her throw combos can also be used to punish well, but you have to be absolutely sure you can hit them consistently since Tina doesn't get any advantage from having her throws broken.

Doa_Eater

Tina only had 2 CB moves in the build I played, and that string wasn't one of them. Her only CB moves are :7::P::P::P: and :6::P+K:. As for its use in juggles, I'm not too sure it'll be all that practical. It's pretty slow, so I don't think you'll be able to fully connect with it after a launch, but I never actually tried so we'll see.

Yes, i fully understand, move properties are prone to change between builds, this is the video i was mentioning, i believe this is Dr.Dogg playing, no?

At least i hope she's not nerfed in the safety department(kinda nervous), she really needs to be safe since she's slower.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I did a short write up on Tina from messing with her at i46. you guys might find it useful :)
I'll repost it here :

- Tina has a Faint stun from 7K however it doesn't allow any guaranteed followup after as far as I'm aware.

- she has an unblockable 66PPP+K but you can see it from a mile away as its the 3rd hit in a string and also it can be crouched (its a high attack)

- The following moves guarantee a ground throw:
(vs. opponent in the air) 8P
4P+K
214P
6G+K
(back turned) P+K

- she has a very good mix up that leads to 2 guaranteed situations: KP (causes Limbo stun) and KK (causes turn around stun with guaranteed follow up potential)

- I'm very glad that they brought back a lot of her strings into throws and added new ones:
K H+P
6K H+P
6PP6K H+P
7PP H+P

- just like before her 8P is a sit down stun.

- her advanced mid K hold puts the opponent in back turned state but as far as I'm aware it doesnt guarantee anything... (needs testing)

Over all I think shes a beast. Her damage output is really good and so is her mix up potential she can be really nasty in capable hands. (infact this DOA5 favors grapplers in the damage department it seems .. they just hurt)

:D

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD