DOA Untechables guide

ScattereDreams

After many years of playing DOA4 I have some friends that play and still do not what untechables are. So what the hell, I decided to create this over the weekend. I've stumbled upon some untechables in the DOA5 Pre-alpha demo but, no use in sharing if they're subject to change in the final release. Although, i'm pretty positive they will exist in the final release.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
umm ... im kinda confused ...
if you dont mind me asking ...
it seems that theres 2 things being shown here ...

theres untechables .. where the opponet cannot tech out of the next hit on the ground
and theres forced techs .. where the opponent is forced to stand ..
am I right ?

I understand DOA4 is pretty different from DOA5 in relation to ground recovery... but can you give me examples of these in the alpha demo ? because I seem to be able to tech out of almost everything..

thanks ...

FakeSypha

Thanks a lot for the guide. I was looking for some untechable set ups for Christie.

Again, thanks man. I'll be subscribing to your YT channel ;)

ScattereDreams

umm ... im kinda confused ...
if you dont mind me asking ...
it seems that theres 2 things being shown here ...

theres untechables .. where the opponet cannot tech out of the next hit on the ground
and theres forced techs .. where the opponent is forced to stand ..
am I right ?

thanks ...

Untechables are nothing but guaranteed force tech setup's. Force tech is just you hitting your opponent on the ground forcing them to tech up. Untechable guarantee's a free force tech setup. They require a certain amount of launch height, different character weights.

umm a example from the demo would be Hitomi's expert mid kick counter ~ 1k on a regular surface.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
hmm ... i see what you're trying to explain now ..

i managed to come with one more with one more with hitomi ... gonna see if i can make out any with the rest ..

its an interesting concept to consider if you have the health lead .. but especially with the restrictions of the DOA5 stages it seems alot more rewarding to go for an air juggle that may lead to something else .. hmmm ...

*heads back to the labs ...

I might mention this when I talk about knockdowns in my vids .. :) ... but i think the term forced techs is easier to understand ...

untechable (at least in the 2D sense ) refers to a situation where you cant get up with a quick recovery ... one common example would be from a knockdown throw ..

DriftSlave

pretty much, this is DOA's way in letting you set up a free mixup for giving up some damage...you can do stuff like this in tekken as well like doing a move that "spikes" but with all the wakeup options in tekken you can avoid the mix up(at the cost of some life). I think VF has something like this too...

Jefffcore

A force tech comes after the untechable. Those then lead into unholdable attacks, which would be the only reason to use an untechable; otherwise you're sacrificing damage for almost nothing.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
A force tech comes after the untechable. Those then lead into unholdable attacks, which would be the only reason to use an untechable; otherwise you're sacrificing damage for almost nothing.

too bad this is no longer the case in DOA5 it seems ... that use for untechables is pretty much gone .. at least in the demo ... dunno bout the final game ..

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD