Dead or Alive 3 [3.3]​
54430001​
TC-001​
NTSC​
1.1180166​
Xbox
Final Release​
http://redump.org/disc/59397/

Edit: Updated this table with all known DOA3 builds. If there's anything missing from this list, please let me know. I wonder if other regions got slightly altered versions since DOA3 predates patching on Xbox. Ironically, if they had kept the install more PC-like as it was in the prototype, they could've easily made the booster disk install an updated loadfile.afs but alas I suspect Microsoft pushed for a more console-like experience and we got caching during a warning screen instead. Please do not ask me for shit. Thank you.

Last edited:

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I'm not too sure that anyone will get a copy of this, at least not without spending some money on it... maybe...

The guy in the original tweet is a known member of the Assembler Games/Obscure Gamers community (they collect hardware/software/information about video games from all eras). I had asked about this in the Xbox homebrew scene when this first came up, which led to someone asking him about it. I was told that he apparently has no intention of sharing the build with anyone. So considering that it's probably not too likely that anyone else, aside from maybe KT/TN, has a copy of this build, I would think that the chances of this seeing any public release are pretty low.

At least that was initially the case, but I was told later that he may have changed his mind and might be willing to share it for a price, but I don't know how much he was asking for or if he was even being serious about it.

Tina2040_

IMO not worth the price tag. I'm sure the user would've jumped at the chance to mention differences. Knowing Tecmo/Team Ninja, the build is probably the same albeit graphical updates. It's only a month from release isn't it?

Maybe Bass would have his unused costume?

I'm willing to chip in if it gives us assets that we DO NOT have access to at the moment. Removed content, songs, etc.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Great news! I talked some more with the guys in the Xbox homebrew group awhile ago. Some more interest in acquiring this build grew and after a few weeks we finally managed to get it from Borman (he wanted money for it in the end). So, finally, here it is!

Some things I noticed while playing around with it for a short while:

Surprisingly, this build does not require a debug/development kit or 128MB of RAM.

It does not use the same title ID of any of the retail builds. It's title ID is 0000101a.

When you boot the game without any install data already present, you are prompted to allow the game to install data to the Xbox's HDD. If you choose "NO", the screen goes black and seems to just stay like that forever. Not even an IGR will do anything, forcing you to have to shutdown the Xbox via the power button. If you choose "YES", the game copies its loadfile.afs file to E:\TDATA\0000101a, which is 341MB. It didn't seem to ever write any cache data to the X/Y/Z partitions like the retail builds do.

3.0 save files are compatible with this build, but 3.1 and 3.2 saves are not.

Like 3.0, this build does not include mv_op.sfd (the game's opening CG video).

The "exercise" in sparring mode is called "command mode" and seems to be impossible to clear, at least with what little of it that I tried. I only played it with Kasumi, but after a certain point, it started making the AI attack me with random strikes, and performing whichever move was on the screen would not progress the exercise.

The UI is very noticeably different, both in the menus and in-game. The character names near the life bars are much more noticeable and the UI hit messages ("counter throw", "2 hit combo", etc.) are much easier to see, compared to the nearly invisible ones from the retail builds. The character selection screen labels costumes as "COSTUME-1" instead of "COS. 1."

Bass' cowboy outfit is still in the build (only one of the them though), but is unfortunately still broken. Ein's unlockable C3 has a strange glitch that causes some of his hair to be weirdly clipped through his forehead, and it twitches whenever he blinks. The game does not acknowledge any extra costume files placed in its TDATA folder.

I didn't do any testing with character moveset differences. I'll leave that to those of you who are more familiar with all of the DOA3 characters. I'm interested to know what all has changed. However, I did notice that Leon does not have his 33P in this build.

Last edited:

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Great news! I talked some more with the guys in the Xbox homebrew group awhile ago. Some more interest in acquiring this build grew and after a few weeks we finally managed to get it from Borman (he wanted money for it in the end). So, finally, here it is!

Some things I noticed while playing around with it for a short while:

Surprisingly, this build does not require a debug/development kit or 128MB of RAM.

It does not use the same title ID of any of the retail builds. It's title ID is 0000101a.

When you boot the game without any install data already present, you are prompted to allow the game to install data to the Xbox's HDD. If you choose "NO", the screen goes black and seems to just stay like that forever. Not even an IGR will do anything, forcing you to have to shutdown the Xbox via the power button. If you choose "YES", the game copies its loadfile.afs file to E:\TDATA\0000101a, which is 341MB. It didn't seem to ever write any cache data to the X/Y/Z partitions like the retail builds do.

Like 3.0, this build does not include mv_op.sfd (the game's opening CG video).

The "exercise" in sparring mode is called "command mode" and seems to be impossible to clear, at least with what little of it that I tried. I only played it with Kasumi, but after a certain point, it started making the AI attack me with random strikes, and performing whichever move was on the screen would not progress the exercise.

The UI is very noticeably different, both in the menus and in-game. The character names near the life bars are much more noticeable and the UI hit messages ("counter throw", "2 hit combo", etc.) are much easier to see, compared to the nearly invisible ones from the retail builds. The character selection screen labels costumes as "COSTUME-1" instead of "COS. 1."

Bass' cowboy outfit is still in the build (only one of the them though), but is unfortunately still broken. Ein's unlockable C3 has a strange glitch that causes some of his hair to be weirdly clipped through his forehead, and it twitches whenever he blinks. The game does not acknowledge any extra costume files placed in its TDATA folder.

I didn't do any testing with character moveset differences. I'll leave that to those of you who are more familiar with all of the DOA3 characters. I'm interested to know what all has changed. However, I did notice that Leon does not have his 33P in this build.
Can you show gameplay?

Gultigargar

Can you show gameplay?
Here's a quickly-thrown-together video of some stuff:

Haven't had time to sit down and go through all the differences, but here's a few:
-Noticably different lighting.
-Problems with texture alpha layers on the Iron Hell stage.
-Lab part of Doatec HK is unfinished. No unique lighting, no real lab equipment, two kasumi clone tank "walls" with no wall properties implemented.
-Placeholder UI and subtitles, as ForlonPenguin mentioned.
-Different camera angles during character select.
-Some different stage icons.
-No music change in survival mode when a new opponent jumps in.
-2nd character's health is not displayed in tag mode.
-Some differences in certain costumes. Helena's C1 has black boots, compared to the release version's brown boots.
--Leifang and Ein's leather costumes look noticeably different. (They likely hadn't settled on their 'look' for leather yet.)
--Leifang's hair is tinted red, as opposed to brown in the release version.
-Lip sync missing on Hitomi intros and win poses. (Might just be on her C2? Haven't tested her other costume.)
-Unique wake-up attacks are included in command training.
-A bunch of differences in move properties (mostly damage values and juggle heights that haven't been tweaked yet).
--Hayate has a very slow version of his cartwheel.
--Zack's PPKKK is a 5-hit natural combo like in DOA2.
--Hitomi's 3KP is a natural combo.
--Brad Wong has a taunt animation not seen in the final game. (Might be in 3.0? It's the only version of the game I don't own.)
--Jann Lee does not taunt after connecting a Dragon Kick (might be only if they hit the wall). He also uses his DOA2 free-stepping animations, and is unable to move before round start after certain intro animations.
--Air throws do 30 damage, compared to 25 in the final game. (Bass's does 40!)
--Brad Wong's lying stance has a smaller hurtbox. Feels about the same as when he is side-rolling in 3.1.
--Helena's 2F+P is her DOA2 version (not a combo throw).
--Christie's 3K looks like it has a different animation.
--Kasumi's 6P+K looks like it has slightly longer reach.
-Guard Breaks are not implemented, but Guard Crushes are.
-Certain input shortcuts have not been implemented yet. For example, Kasumi's :6::P::6::K: cannot be input with :6::P::6_::K: like in the retail release.
-Feels like there might be a shorter stun treshold? But could also be that moves have different damage values than what I'm used to.
-Ayane's story cutscenes are different (as shown in the video).
-Genra's ninpo visual effects are unfinished.
-Genra can be juggled much more easily (seems like they hadn't implemented his super-heavy weight yet).
-Win poses after defeating Genra (many characters have unique win quotes against him).
-2F is an input for Low Hold when playing Ayane, which feels really weird.
-Very long controller rumble when hit by certain attacks.
-Hitomi's and Leon's ending movies are missing.
-Random character select button seems broken. It's never selected Kasumi for me, though I've seen it select her for the CPU. (Might be able to use this to change the random button to give specific characters?)
-Tag stages show up in time attack, unlike in 3.1.
-Trees in the beach, forest and snow stages cause 20 wall splat damage instead of 10. Same goes for stage destructibles, e.g. ice stalagmites, brazier and rocks.
-Some walls do not properly trigger wall throws.

Last edited:

Derock

Here's a quickly-thrown-together video of some stuff:

Haven't had time to sit down and go through all the differences, but here's a few:
-Noticably different lighting.
-Problems with texture alpha layers on the Iron Hell stage.
-Placeholder UI and subtitles, as ForlonPenguin mentioned.
-Different camera angles during character select.
-Some different stage icons.
-No music change in survival mode when a new opponent jumps in.
-Some differences in certain costumes. Helena's C1 has black boots, compared to the release version's brown boots.
-Lip sync missing on Hitomi intros and win poses. (Might just be on her C2? Haven't tested her other costume.)
-A bunch of differences in move properties (mostly string juggle heights that haven't been tweaked yet).
--Zack's PPKKK is a 5-hit natural combo like in DOA2.
--Brad Wong has a taunt animation not seen in the final game. (Might be in 3.0? It's the only version of the game I don't own.)
--Jann Lee does not taunt after connecting a Dragon Kick (might be only if they hit the wall). He also uses his DOA2 free-stepping animations, and is unable to move before round start after certain intro animations.
-Feels like there might be a shorter stun treshold? But could also be that moves have different damage values than what I'm used to.
-Ayane's story cutscenes are different (as shown in the video).
-Genra's ninpo visual effects are unfinished.
-Genra can be juggled much more easily (seems like they hadn't implemented his super-heavy weight yet).
-Win poses after defeating Genra (many characters have unique win quotes against him).
-2F is an input for Low Hold, which feels really weird.
-Very long controller rumble when hit by certain attacks.
-Hitomi's and Leon's ending movies are missing.

Why did they cut those scenes for Ayane in the final product? They look interesting.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Finally was able to install it tonight as I was doing various Xbox related things today.

Some things I noticed:
- Character Select background menu was different
- "Are you sure?" prompt has different UI
- Button input icons and fight text (Counter Blow, etc.) is different, arguably better.
- While I always enjoyed the Blue of the X Octagon from promos, in person I feel the steel is TOO blue sadly.
- Hayate's 66_P is not + but his other moves still seem to be.
- Stage order on stage select is different, default is also different.
- Default beach stage is Sunset instead of Day time.
- DOATEC HK does not have the kasumi alpha glitch when you position reset from the lab in training.
- DOATEC HK does not have the corner electric generators in the lab and instead is just a square stage, i actually think it's an improvement.
- The critical threshold is not shown in the Sparring Mode or in-game battle life bars.

-Feels like there might be a shorter stun treshold?
That's 3.0 Hayate's cartwheel, so feel the pain of our 3.0 FSD :( .
The threshold is still the same as release version: 40 damage on Normal, 40 on Counter, and 60 on Hi-Counter.

There's certainly some things that can maybe be borrowed into 3++ I think and comparisons to 3.0 files might shed some lights on things like stage order.

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor

This is interesting to me because when I have ripped my 3.0 and 3.1, both share the same title ID for me :(. Both are 54430001 for me on my xbox. I've ripped both copies more than once just to make sure and both still show up on my xbox under that title id but I could have sworn that one would be 54430000...

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Would love to see more footage if there's anything else to see! Are there any more cutscenes like Ayane vs Hayate?
I streamed some albeit in black and white (nobody complain unless you're volunteering to buy me an RCA cable lmao) but it's impossible to see all the lighting changes sadly. A bunch of intro camerawork seems... off. Anyone else notice that?

Also, updated the table in post 2 with the prototype's info compared to the rest of the releases.

P.S. If any capable hacker wants them, here's all the binaries from every DOA3 version I have listed in said table (and nothing else so you can't technically run these without the games other files so this is a grey area so just wipe this link if it's an issue instead of throwing a fit and getting mad at me).

Last edited:

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
This is interesting to me because when I have ripped my 3.0 and 3.1, both share the same title ID for me :(. Both are 54430001 for me on my xbox. I've ripped both copies more than once just to make sure and both still show up on my xbox under that title id but I could have sworn that one would be 54430000...

Yes, 3.0 and 3.1 do share the same title ID, but their save files have never been compatible, so I never actually expected 3.1 saves to work with this prototype in the first place, but tested it anyway just for the sake of it.

WAZAAAAA

more defined ABS for Tina
Yu2dbz3.gif

add this model/texture to the DOA3++ mod ASAP. This is 100% my dick talking
higher quality promotional picture
Tina00ll.jpg

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Yes, 3.0 and 3.1 do share the same title ID, but their save files have never been compatible, so I never actually expected 3.1 saves to work with this prototype in the first place, but tested it anyway just for the sake of it.

Makes me want to check the save file area I found in the default.xbe hex to see if we can change the file name each version looks for :)

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Found out from playing tonight that Jann's infamous 4T against wall doesn't work on half walls in the beta.... I actually wouldn't mind that nerf in 3++... Is my current thoughts.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD