DOA5: A New Challenger - Trailer Analysis

The new DOA5 trailer appears to not only show off some new animations with Ayane and Kasumi, but also shows off a new character. That is, a new character to the franchise. You might notice the character displayed from another title that shares the same numeration: Akira from Virtua Fighter 5.

The stage Ayane, Akira, and Kasumi fight on certainly looks like an "entertaining" take on Virtua Fighter 5's raft level.

Also, it looks like wall crumples (at least in this particular stage) put the opponent in the air? Guaranteeing follow-ups again (similar to Dead or Alive 3)? No word yet on any of these gameplay changes as any of this might just be for show, but I'm honestly hoping it's not just for show.

I've done a frame by frame analysis of the new trailer featuring Ayane, Kasumi, and the new entrant Akira. Unfortunately, no 60 frames per second video exists at this time. The only version available is being run at 30 frames per second, this means that every other frame is displayed and an accurate calculation of animation cannot be done, however to figure out the time in the video a frame refers to, divide the frame number by 30 and the whole number will be the second to view it:

[We're introduced to a square raft with wooden guard rails for walls.]
[Ayane and Kasumi perform their entrances]
Frame 783: Match Start
Frame 792: Kasumi begins the match Freestepping to the background into the path of Ayane's :K: or :4::K: which connects
Frames 793-826: Ayane continues her string with another :K: and cancels into her back turned roll then flips over Kasumi's :8::K:
Frame 840: Ayane lands behind Kasumi, and Kasumi begins to backdash to turn around (:6::6:)
Frame 854-863: Kasumi comes out of backdash to be hit by Ayane's :P::P: into a new string ender of an elbow.
Frame 864: The elbow is blocked even after the second punch was hit on what appears to be normal hit. Kasumi looks to be in a 13 frame guard stun but Ayane appears to be in more disadvantage after the guarded attack.
Frame 886: Ayane attempts her :4::H+K: but is counter hit by Kasumi's :3::3::K: which launches.
Frame 906-942: Kasumi juggles with :P::P::K::6::K: and attempts to follow up the knocked back Ayane who teched from the ground.
Frame 968: Ayane is hit by Kasumi's :P::P: in what appears to be a hi-counter blow putting her in Critical State
Frame 973-976: Ayane performs a defensive hold out of the critical state that holds Kasumi's mid kick
Frame 977-1047: Ayane's hold displays a new animation where she climbs up on the opponent's shoulders to snap their neck and step off to where she is now facing the opponent's back.
Frame 1048-1065: Ayane connects with her :1::1_::5::P: which avoids Kasumi's :P::P: knocking Kasumi into the wall

Frame 1069: The new wall crumple animation is shown. Kasumi is displayed in the air as she falls forward.
Frame 1089: Kasumi seems to hang in the air for a few frames before as Ayane's :4::P: connects to Kasumi.
Frame 1090-1100: The :4::P: doesn't cause much of a relaunch in terms of visual height but Ayane connects the string's followup (:4::P::K:) which wall slams Kasumi making her fall to the ground.

Frame 1127: Kasumi has teched from the ground and is back in standing stance. Ayane begins her :4::P: attack.
Frames 1138-1146: Kasumi began Freestepping to the background then guards Ayane's :4::P: even though.
Frames 1152-1179: Kasumi hits Ayane while Ayane's back-turned with her :6_::P::K: which causes a ground bounce but no where near the levels of DOA4. It looks like it's not able to be juggled.

Frames 1206-1235: Kasumi blocks Ayane's :P::P::P:
Frame 1236: Kasumi begins to hold as Ayane continues the string with a new kick attack similar to her :7::K:
Frame 1238-1264: Kasumi's hold puts her to Ayane's side while Ayane continues another kicking motion after the held attack. Kasumi ends up punishing with her Power attack just as Ayane hits the ground.

Frames 1308-1345 (~0.5 seconds): The power attack has stopped and the timer to decide the direction begins at frame 1308. It appears to end at Frame 1345 because Frame 1346 shows Ayane get moved from her position to the spot where she will be knocked into.

Frames 1346-1363: The wind up attack before knocking Ayane to a wall. Note, the wall selection should be decided before this.

20120305_doa5kasakr03.jpg

[Kasumi has won the match and we get a new challenger]

Frame 2114: Kasumi vs Akira starts (Forgive me as I haven't played VF in far too long so I don't remember any of Akira's strings or attacks)
Frame 2126-2148: Kasumi guards Akira's overhead elbow, but then gets counter hit by his sidestep :2::P: followup while she attempts to :P:
Frame 2149-2158: Kasumi's counter hit into critical state while she is pushed her away from Akira as he dashes in.
Frame 2159-2167: Kasumi attempts to defensive hold a high attack as she is hit by Akira's dashing elbow, causing a launch.
Frame 2186: Akira relaunches Kasumi with a :2::P: then proceeds to juggle her with a while rising double palm attack knocking her towards the wall but she techs.

Frame 2238: Akira dashes in with another elbow, causing a counter hit to Kasumi's :P: and giving the new wall crumple, which Akira does his bread and butter 3 hit juggle to cause a wall splat.

20120305_doa5kasakr04.jpg

Frame 2330-2355: Both characters are reset standing as Kasumi scores a critical stun with her :6::P::P: causing a lift stun animation to Akira
Frame 2356: Akira performs a defensive hold as soon as his feet touch the ground
Frame 2367: Kasumi performs her traditional :6::H+P: throw while Akira is performing the defensive hold, the throw has a new animation where she teleports from the handstand on the shoulders
Frame 2417: Kasumi is able to connect with her :8::K: while Akira is still back-turned, giving her a launch.
Frame 2418-2477: Kasumi juggles with her :7::K: which teleports into her DOA4 :6::K::K: from her :3::P::K::K:

Frame 2495: Akira connects with a punch to Kasumi's guard and causes Kasumi to perform the guard break animation.
Frames 2505-2542: Kasumi performs a defensive high hold but Akira hits her with a mid attack hit throw knocking Kasumi into the wall and causing the raft to speed down the river.

Frames 2677-2698: Akira dashes in with a double air kick, even though the first was guarded the second whiffs due to the guard pushback from the first. Kasumi connects with a knockback attack (:6::P+K:).

Frames 2759-2863: Kasumi connects with a mid kick launching defensive hold, performing a new juggle animation :H+K::P::P::7::K: into swan dive.

Frames 2940-3045: Akira guards a new string from Kasumi and follows it up with a 3 hit string knocking Kasumi into the new wall crumple, and juggling for a wall splat.

Frames 3080-3094: Akira attempts a low kicking attack that does not connect on Kasumi because she is teching off the ground. She proceeds to hit him with a wake-up kick as he's still recovering.

Frames 3116-3162: Akira guards Kasumi's :6::6::P: and punishes with a position switch throw that appears to connect just as Kasumi is turning around.

Frames 3232-3346: Akira mid hits a low holding Kasumi and proceeds to combo string her while she's in critical stun. He then finishes the combo with his power move

Frames 3390-3426: Akira selects where to knock Kasumi to. The screen darkens as before and the wall she will be knocked into glows red.

20120305_doa5kasakr05.jpg

Frame 3452: Kasumi is knocked into the wall, shattering it, and begins the cliffhanger mini-game. As she survives from the cliff, Akira charges forward towards the camera and the screen fades.

[Virtua Fighter 5 and Dead or Alive 5 logos are shown, with the Dead or Alive 5 logo temporarily displaying the 5 in the same gold color as Virtua Fighter's]

Ugh, i hate to be so negative here but im not happy that it still seems so easy to mash hold's out of criticals. I mean if you get a counter hit you should be rewarded right?

Sure we dont know the active frames of hold's for this game. But still i'd feel happier if there was some mechanic that would ensure garunteed damage that wasn't a juggle. :/

But it's been a looooong time since i played DOA and i missed out on DOA4 so is there something i missed in how the system works?

Still loving Akira he seem's to have transitioned well. :D

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD