DOA5 and Sexualization: Too Much?

Has Team Ninja gone too far with DOA5 in regards to sexualization?

• Yes, completely. They really need to back off.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • Well, borderline. They should be careful.

Votes: 42 24.0%
  • I dunno. Whatever.

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • Not really, no. They're good at the rate they're going.

Votes: 36 20.6%
  • Not far enough, I say! Full speed ahead!!!

Votes: 20 11.4%

• Total voters

Yurlungur

giphy-2.gif

Where on earth did you find this?!

the doa "competitive" group i literally forgot to read the rest of the comments

Demoth

I don't get this logic at all...ever.

You stick a badass in a clown suit he doesn't somehow get less badass. Having him stay in clown suits for the duration of his time STILL doesn't stop him from kicking loads of ass or anything else.

I don't see Ryu being less threatening in a banana suit then him in his ridiculous Ninja-BDSM outfit, so how does this work past forcing the females to seem like they lose personality? Because it's still there and a strong person in personality and looks is still strong wearing whatever regardless.

I guess you guys taking the saying "Clothes make the Superman" a bit too far...

Like others have said, putting all the girls in bikinis is not only lazy, but adds nothing (to a lot of us) who like specific characters.

It also seems to encourage creating a departure from themes of certain characters, like nothing gothic-lolita like for Marie Rose, or nothing Chinese Kung-fu for Lei Fei. Just nurses and cheerleaders.

It also discourages Team Ninja from focusing on the male cast.

Brad Wong's outfit catalog is bullshit. 2 of his outfits are palette swaps, one is just shorts, and another is a santa outfit that other characters share.

Xhominid The Demon Within

Like others have said, putting all the girls in bikinis is not only lazy, but adds nothing (to a lot of us) who like specific characters.

It also seems to encourage creating a departure from themes of certain characters, like nothing gothic-lolita like for Marie Rose, or nothing Chinese Kung-fu for Lei Fei. Just nurses and cheerleaders.

Brad Wong's outfit catalog is bullshit. 2 of his outfits are palette swaps, one is just shorts, and another is a santa outfit that other characters share.

I chose not to respond to this yesterday because I just plain wasn't into it, but today is a different day.

And that problem is not something you can pretend you can dictate. Maybe they do like those outfits? You only know the theme of a character of the obvious main outfit they always wear but that alone speaks nothing of what the character actually LIKES or DISLIKES. You can go with "themes" when we get full on backgrounds of all the characters(and I mean real deep shit, like Shadow Broker shit) but till then, you are just playing the guessing game.

No, what's stopping them from focusing on the male cast is simple Supply & Demand. No one wants to buy the male costumes so they don't make them. Now people are complaining to want them back...so then buy them. Simple economics is the only reason they don't put the time, effort & money into male costumes, especially from Tecmo Koei's side.

So? Most of the male outfits fall under that same shit and by your belly-aching so does most of the females. All the cast is suffering by that logic.

Now I'm going to go drop this because it's beginning to get stale and boring I suggest you do the same.

Demoth

I chose not to respond to this yesterday because I just plain wasn't into it, but today is a different day.

And that problem is not something you can pretend you can dictate. Maybe they do like those outfits? You only know the theme of a character of the obvious main outfit they always wear but that alone speaks nothing of what the character actually LIKES or DISLIKES. You can go with "themes" when we get full on backgrounds of all the characters(and I mean real deep shit, like Shadow Broker shit) but till then, you are just playing the guessing game.

No, what's stopping them from focusing on the male cast is simple Supply & Demand. No one wants to buy the male costumes so they don't make them. Now people are complaining to want them back...so then buy them. Simple economics is the only reason they don't put the time, effort & money into male costumes, especially from Tecmo Koei's side.

So? Most of the male outfits fall under that same shit and by your belly-aching so does most of the females. All the cast is suffering by that logic.

Now I'm going to go drop this because it's beginning to get stale and boring I suggest you do the same.

Someone made a thread asking about how people felt, so I responded with my opinion.

If you don't like my opinion, that's fine, but you don't have to be an ass about it. If you are tired of reading about these types of topics, ignore them. It's pretty simple.

I responded to your post, specifically, because you were addressing someone else who had the same views as I did. I was trying to put my 2 cents into the matter in hopes of conveying my point of view, not directly attacking you or what you like.

If Team Ninja wishes to ignore some of us and pump out 9 of the same costume, resized for different characters that is just some string, then whatever. I won't buy it, and many others will. I know how business works, but sometimes voicing our opinions of what some of us would like catches the attention of developers and they add in some variety.

Last edited:

Someone made a thread asking about how people felt, so I responded with my opinion.

If you don't like my opinion, that's fine, but you don't have to be an ass about it. If you are tired of reading about these types of topics, ignore them. It's pretty simple.
Okay, I don't see how I was being an ass about anything. So...yeah.

I responded to your post, specifically, because you were addressing someone else who had the same views as I did. I was trying to put my 2 cents into the matter in hopes of conveying my point of view, not directly attacking you or what you like.
Last time I checked I didn't attack you so how about you actually read it with the intention of someone simply letting you know what is up rather than try and put up defensive walls over nothing?
Telling you how companies and directors see their own characters is different from how the players see them for many, many obvious reasons.

If Team Ninja wishes to ignore some of us and pump out 9 of the same costume, resized for different characters that is just some string, then whatever. I won't buy it, and many others will. I know how business works, but sometimes voicing our opinions of what some of us would like catches the attention of developers and they add in some variety.
Ugh...great job ignoring my point.
Listen, it's cute that you see the obvious conclusion, but it's obvious you don't see the intent of my words nor my post so I'll make it easier for you to digest without getting the wrong idea:

This "How I see what fits this or that character" mumbo-jumbo...needs to end, NOW.
For example, THIS is the DLC outfits for USF4 that came out recently:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/2plqpj/all_costumes_and_colors_for_the_usf4_wild_dlc/
You think ANY of the characters would wear any of those costumes at all?

There are plenty more examples than this but I'm using just this as a point. The developers can and will give any character a costume they choose, damn the "theme" or "rules" the character abides by because they can do whatever they want because it's THEIR character.

If Dizzy suddenly turned from a Pacifist to a Bloodthirsty Psychopath, I can claim character derailment all I want but according to the developer and storywriter, they know what's best(which is ironic due to time sheningans, she is one in the main but changed timeline). Kasumi became a wallflower who Itagaki believed Ninja Gaiden was too bloody for her and look where she is now.

All I'm saying is that your point is no point, it's just suggestions to the whims of the directors and writers so yeah, either hate it or deal with it.

Argentus

Okay, I don't see how I was being an ass about anything. So...yeah.

Last time I checked I didn't attack you so how about you actually read it with the intention of someone simply letting you know what is up rather than try and put up defensive walls over nothing?
Telling you how companies and directors see their own characters is different from how the players see them for many, many obvious reasons.

Ugh...great job ignoring my point.
Listen, it's cute that you see the obvious conclusion, but it's obvious you don't see the intent of my words nor my post so I'll make it easier for you to digest without getting the wrong idea:

This "How I see what fits this or that character" mumbo-jumbo...needs to end, NOW.
For example, THIS is the DLC outfits for USF4 that came out recently:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/2plqpj/all_costumes_and_colors_for_the_usf4_wild_dlc/
You think ANY of the characters would wear any of those costumes at all?

There are plenty more examples than this but I'm using just this as a point. The developers can and will give any character a costume they choose, damn the "theme" or "rules" the character abides by because they can do whatever they want because it's THEIR character.

If Dizzy suddenly turned from a Pacifist to a Bloodthirsty Psychopath, I can claim character derailment all I want but according to the developer and storywriter, they know what's best(which is ironic due to time sheningans, she is one in the main but changed timeline). Kasumi became a wallflower who Itagaki believed Ninja Gaiden was too bloody for her and look where she is now.

All I'm saying is that your point is no point, it's just suggestions to the whims of the directors and writers so yeah, either hate it or deal with it.
If you really think fan complaints don't matter then last round wouldn't even be w thing. Hitomi would still look as she did in alpha, Leon would never have been in, nor Tengu, we wouldn't have gotten doa3 stages, etc etc.

We bitched and complained enough to start getting male dlc again. We actually got fan costumes. We got a dlc pack thatvwasnt just bikinis or short shorts (ninja pack 1)

Never underestimate the power of complaining. This is my only way of combating this crap beyond not buying them, and so I will continue to fight tooth and nail for it.

Also stop pointing to street fighter its not helping your case at all, the context is different between the two games. You are pointing at an apple to debunk an argument about an orange.

I know you are sick of it, but the negative feedback has been shown to trigger a response. And it looks like last round may gear slightly towards the higher quality dlc packs of the vanilla game, so obviously its starting to pay off.

If you really think fan complaints don't matter then last round wouldn't even be w thing. Hitomi would still look as she did in alpha, Leon would never have been in, nor Tengu, we wouldn't have gotten doa3 stages, etc etc.

We bitched and complained enough to start getting male dlc again. We actually got fan costumes. We got a dlc pack thatvwasnt just bikinis or short shorts (ninja pack 1)

Never underestimate the power of complaining. This is my only way of combating this crap beyond not buying them, and so I will continue to fight tooth and nail for it.

Also stop pointing to street fighter its not helping your case at all, the context is different between the two games. You are pointing at an apple to debunk an argument about an orange.

I know you are sick of it, but the negative feedback has been shown to trigger a response. And it looks like last round may gear slightly towards the higher quality dlc packs of the vanilla game, so obviously its starting to pay off.

1. I'm not talking about the power of complaining, I'm talking about the power of complaining and doing just that.
It's admirable if you is actually telling TN and TK to go and add in more costumes for males and females and more sfw stuff, but it's another when it's JUST complaining, especially when half of the time it just gets repetitious(let me be frank, I'm not saying no one has their opinions what I'm saying is bitching about the costumes have worn out their welcome MONTHS ago, if you want to do something about it, do so just keep it out of the whining aspect and do something).

2. No I will NOT stop talking about when Street Fighter does it or when Tekken does it or when Soul Calibur does it and how Dead or Alive does it, THERE'S NO CONTEXT BETWEEN THEM, NO HIDDEN MESSAGES OR TEXTS OR ADVERTISING BETWEEN OR NO IF'S, ANDS OR BUTS ABOUT IT.
There's a REASON I keep using them because frankly, ALL OF THEM ARE GUILTY IN THEIR OWN CONTEXT. There is no special differences or circumstances, Street Fighter 4's DLC costumes NEVER even remotely feel like what the characters would even wear most of the time just like how Dead or Alive is. You can literally strip naked EVERY character in Soul Calibur or make them Servants or Maids or the most hideously mis-matched person imaginable and Tekken is that to a lesser extent. Blazblue, King of Fighters and Guilty Gear get away with Pallete Swaps which be DAMNED will have some level of stockings, body skins or palette customizations which add in sex appeal for it's characters if the costumes didn't and so on.

I'm so fucking tired of hearing that shit. There is no free pass for this shit in any other game if you put that shit on DOA's head, that's just basically moving the freaking goalposts, stop moving the goalposts.

3. That's only happening because since people keep talking about it, they are trying again. They are only testing the waters to see if people will actually buy the freaking costumes. The Ninja Pack 1 wasn't made because what you thought it was, it was made because reasons, the men getting outfits...that was because of the feedback.

And again, I'm not tired of the "complaining", I'm tired of the constant whining you are doing because it seems you are doing more of that than actually being productive about the change. Whining on a forum will do jackshit compared to actually going to their Facebook page and telling them about it or even giving them an e-mail. That's why Onechanbara is getting a freaking ENGLISH DUB along with Dual Audio with their game coming out again in Summer for Western audiences.

Demoth

1. I'm not talking about the power of complaining, I'm talking about the power of complaining and doing just that.
It's admirable if you is actually telling TN and TK to go and add in more costumes for males and females and more sfw stuff, but it's another when it's JUST complaining, especially when half of the time it just gets repetitious(let me be frank, I'm not saying no one has their opinions what I'm saying is bitching about the costumes have worn out their welcome MONTHS ago, if you want to do something about it, do so just keep it out of the whining aspect and do something).

2. No I will NOT stop talking about when Street Fighter does it or when Tekken does it or when Soul Calibur does it and how Dead or Alive does it, THERE'S NO CONTEXT BETWEEN THEM, NO HIDDEN MESSAGES OR TEXTS OR ADVERTISING BETWEEN OR NO IF'S, ANDS OR BUTS ABOUT IT.
There's a REASON I keep using them because frankly, ALL OF THEM ARE GUILTY IN THEIR OWN CONTEXT. There is no special differences or circumstances, Street Fighter 4's DLC costumes NEVER even remotely feel like what the characters would even wear most of the time just like how Dead or Alive is. You can literally strip naked EVERY character in Soul Calibur or make them Servants or Maids or the most hideously mis-matched person imaginable and Tekken is that to a lesser extent. Blazblue, King of Fighters and Guilty Gear get away with Pallete Swaps which be DAMNED will have some level of stockings, body skins or palette customizations which add in sex appeal for it's characters if the costumes didn't and so on.

I'm so fucking tired of hearing that shit. There is no free pass for this shit in any other game if you put that shit on DOA's head, that's just basically moving the freaking goalposts, stop moving the goalposts.

3. That's only happening because since people keep talking about it, they are trying again. They are only testing the waters to see if people will actually buy the freaking costumes. The Ninja Pack 1 wasn't made because what you thought it was, it was made because reasons, the men getting outfits...that was because of the feedback.

And again, I'm not tired of the "complaining", I'm tired of the constant whining you are doing because it seems you are doing more of that than actually being productive about the change. Whining on a forum will do jackshit compared to actually going to their Facebook page and telling them about it or even giving them an e-mail. That's why Onechanbara is getting a freaking ENGLISH DUB along with Dual Audio with their game coming out again in Summer for Western audiences.

How have you concluded that all we have done is whine?

That's a lot of assumptions based off of a couple of posts. I've talked on Twitter, offered constructive feedback, and even spoke to a Tecmo rep at E3 at one point.

Again, this is a very specific thread that I was responding to, and I felt that adding in my two cents was not overly whiny (clearly you disagree).

How have you concluded that all we have done is whine?
Because it only took till now for us to get male costumes in regular packs again...

That's a lot of assumptions based off of a couple of posts.
Not really assumptions when you continue on talking about it again and again as if it's not pretty much obvious what is going to come out of someone like Argentus ANYTIME there is some level of sexy outfit, especially if it's on Mila.

I've talked on Twitter, offered constructive feedback, and even spoke to a Tecmo rep at E3 at one point.
Okay. So how does that still offer any help to the current situation and believing that NOW you've done something when it took till the end of the year to get the packs back? And are you doing anything to make certain they STAY that way?
And that's still doing little when while hearing the opinions on forums is all well and good, it does get very boring when it becomes repetitious when it's pretty much the same thing over and over and over again.

Again, this is a very specific thread that I was responding to, and I felt that adding in my two cents was not overly whiny (clearly you disagree).
You pretty much still taking offense, I don't even know why you jumped in to begin with.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD