DOA5: Could Dead or Alive 5 be coming to the Wii U?

Team NINJA head Yosuke Hayashi and Ninja Gaiden Director Fumihiko Yasuda were recently interviewed in the February issue of Nintendo Gamer magazine. It was a short interview but here are the two biggest answers out of it:

In answering a question about the Wii U in terms of difficulty in development, Fumihiko Yasuda responded the following:

Fumihiko Yasuda said:
“It’s very easy to develop for. We’re finding it very similar to develop for Wii U as for the Xbox 360 and PS3. …They’ve asked us what we would like to see from the hardware, and when we give them feedback we can see that they’re definitely listening to it and making changes. The hardware is still constantly changing.

The question on Dead or Alive 5's possible appearance on the Wii U was pitched to Yosuke Hayashi who actually took the time to answer:

Yosuke Hayashi said:
We’re thinking about all sorts of things. Right now, our Wii U development is focused just on Ninja Gaiden, but we’re definitely keeping other platforms in mind for DOA5.

So what do you think? Would you be up to playing the game on the Wii U? or is it more of a wait and see approach?

WiiU.jpg

Last I checked nintendo had horrible online functions and weird ass controller setups.
Yes, Nintendo's online setup is quite bad and it's difficult to gauge how well the controller will handle for the Wii U since we've only seen an early version of the thing. Worst case scenario? You can use the Tatsunoko vs Capcom stick for the Wii or a Wiimote.

My comment was aimed more at Rikuto's stance that the potential of the game being on a Nintendo system would somehow censor the game and make it worse somehow. A nice port running at 1080p? Doesn't sound so bad to me.

Last I checked, Team Ninja was the developer of DOA5, not Nintendo.

It'l be a censored port with shitty online functionality and an unplayable controller.

Doing anything on a nintendo platform means jumping through hoops to make sure its mostly family friendly. Capcom are literally the only ones who ever seem to be able to get away with what they do for resident evil games with nintendo, and even they toned down the violence on a lot of their games.

So you're upset because DOA5 won't sell as well as Wii Fit? I don't understand your qualm. The Wii is popular with casual people and games aimed at them tend to sell better. How does this mean DOA5 will be censored on Wii U? I just don't understand the logic. The Wii doesn't have a lot of over the top violent games because that audience isn't really there but the games that fit that bill on the platform aren't censored. Your opinion on the platform is based solely just on stereotypes and misinformation.

I don't care how well it sells on for nintendo, that wasn't my point. My point was to show you there is a running theme to the types of games nintendo puts out, and there isn't a strong tolerance for mature themes. This is especially true for the Nintendo of America, as they have been doing absolutely draconic censorship since the NES.

Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword had like no blood whatsoever from what I remember, just little blue sparks when you hit an opponent. This was released right around when NG2 coming out, which had excessive violence.

Care to take a guess why Dragon Sword didn't? May have had something to do with tecmo's failure to pay whatever bribe capcom did.

Duke nukem 3D on the GBA had no additional blood effects, and I recall the N64 Version was entirely censored of all nudity and had its blood effects toned far down. They removed all swearing in both versions, even went so far as to disallow you to kill the female npc's, and actually included a feature to RESCUE them since it was just far too grim to let them remain abducted by aliens.

Let's talk about more recent things though. DOAD! Raidou gets a kunai to his arm, no blood. Fame Douglas gets shot dead, no blood. Genra gets a kunai to the head, impaled with the dragon sword through his chest, and hit with a big ass fireball. No blood there, either. Naked Kasumi clones in the bio lab tanks? Gone.

Absolutely all the new content was pussified. In fact the only mature content on the game at all are the cinematics left over from previous games. They were probably used in desperation as they were attempting to convey a story with as little resources as possible because it was a really low budget game. That stuff was just sitting in the vault, so it made sense to use it if they could get away with it.

You know how they censor things on the Wii? They simply don't allow mature things to exist on it. Resident evil is basically the only exception to this rule I can think of. Well that and the wierd euro sex game where you waddle the controller up the second players ass or whatever. If there are any more, they are damned rare and probably had special circumstances allowing it to exist.

So, yes. Nintendo does have guidelines about what they will and will not allow.

How will this effect DOA 5?

Best case scenario, 360 and ps3 versions are left alone and the Nintendo version has some things stripped out of it and people have to play with a shitty controller that will never be used for tournaments. Gameplay may also be further dumbed down because their target audience is full of casuals and children.

Worst case scenario, 360 and ps3 versions are also stripped of content as well because tecmo decides to get cheap and go with a lazy "well if we're not using it for this version, lets find a way to just leave it out across the board to minimize editing work and use of resources" attitude. They may also further dumb down the gameplay. Hey, it could happen.

Now don't get so upset over this grap3. I'm just saying if there's a Nintendo version, it will probably suck compared to the other two. I'm not butthurt over it, I don't even intend to own the system. I'm not going to deny the obvious either.

I'm not upset, just trying to tell you that you're wrong. If anything, the WiiU version has the potential to be a better game. If it comes to fruition then it'll likely be running at 1080p, have more content since it'll likely be released at a latter time (like NG3 Razor's Edge) and the controller that you hate has the potential to display even more move properties than Dimensions did.

Speaking of Dimensions, the lack of blood isn't likely due to Nintendo's intervention, it's most likely due to a lack of resources by the developer. Heck, there aren't even any candles or reflections in the Azuchi stage. Is that due to censorship too or just a lack of resources? Speaking of which, name me a DOA game that does have blood in it outside of CG sequences. You can't.

NG Dragon Sword didn't sell because of a lack of blood, it's a shitty game. Heck, by your theory, it should've sold great to those DS owners since they took out all that icky blood. What about NG Sigma 2? That was Team Ninja's decision to take out all the blood, they certainly weren't censored by Sony. I also laughed at your response to my statement that only the Nintendo of the 90s pushed censorship onto other developers and your counter argument is to list examples that fall in line with my statement.

I just think you're wrong and just have this vendetta with Nintendo, that's all.

This meaninlessly topic is really getting blown up, lol. This is not that serious, or maybe it is, hahaha.

this affects no one on this site. we will all be on the more competitive consoles. for the ones tha will be on that WiiU, good for you. and thats IF the doa5 is on this system, IF, IF , IF, IF , IF , IF ,IF!

the controller that you hate has the potential to display even more move properties than Dimensions did.

I'm pretty certain a TV screen is already big enough to display any relevant information required to play a game. Whether or not they include the relevant information is another story. Having an expensive gimmick like a second touchscreen isn't going to help you in a fighting game anyway. And the controller is still shit, when last I checked this was the most relevant factor.

Speaking of which, name me a DOA game that does have blood in it outside of CG sequences. You can't.

Name a DOA game that ever included in-game scenes which could make use of it. Also, naked kasumi clones are still gone.

Heck, there aren't even any candles or reflections in the Azuchi stage.

Limitations on the hardware for a large stage environment on a handheld system? Sure. A blood splat during a sequence of low-poly models with zero animation? or a few higher poly models in a small environment with limited animation? There were no hardware limitations here to prevent this, and it was not a difficult animation task compared to what they were already doing. They censored it.

NG Dragon Sword didn't sell because of a lack of blood, it's a shitty game. Heck, by your theory, it should've sold great to those DS owners since they took out all that icky blood.

Read the very first sentence of the post you are replying to, and you will see that you are arguing an irrelevant issue that nobody brought up. I'll repeat it for you.

I don't care how well it sells on for nintendo, that wasn't my point.

Now, on the subject of dragon sword, blood effects are not hard to do with any kind of hardware limitations. They don't take much. They've been finding ways to incorporate them into things with quite effective artistry since the 16 bit era.

What about NG Sigma 2? That was Team Ninja's decision to take out all the blood, they certainly weren't censored by Sony.

NG2 had excessive blood and gore that did push the boundaries of the 360 hardware, because most of it was persistent and stuck around long after you had killed your foes. You could walk back through the level and just see a path of bloodshed that was quite detailed. Putting it on the PS3 would break the poor thing, it just wasn't optimized for it.

And, oh yea, NG2 sigma did NOT take out all of the blood. It was in fact, still there, just not to nearly the extent. They had to replace the effect with something visually pleasant, though, so they gave it a purple mist akin to old school arcadey effects.

You may have noticed that while dismemberment is indeed gone in NG3 as they went cross-platform and couldn't manage the constant gibbing on both systems, there is no lack of blood whatsoever.

I also laughed at your response to my statement that only the Nintendo of the 90s pushed censorship onto other developers and your counter argument is to list examples that fall in line with my statement.

I hate when people say that. Telling the person you're debating with that you are laughing is a strong sign of a weak argument. You know what the reason for that is? It's so a person can boost their own self-esteem mid-argument and attempt to drop their opponents without having to actually do anything related to the topic, because they know they are losing fast. It's nothing more than ego boosting to keep a level head and stay in the game. Don't rely on that shit, it's below you.

I just showed you examples from every part of history of nintendo censorship to give you an actual look at how things have evolved, and you think I'm just focusing on one particular aspect of it? No no sir, this was to show you that nintendo bullshit has existed from NES, to SNES, to N64. Their policies later changed so that these titles would either be heavily self-censored or outright excluded from the Gamecube and Wii.

Companies are all about image and Nintendo has a very distinct image now. Having mature titles on their systems is not what they are aiming for. They want more of a Disney appeal (who also censor things that come into their possession, by the way).

I just think you're wrong and just have this vendetta with Nintendo, that's all.

I happen to know you're wrong as per the history I just gave you, and I still like Nintendo IP's which is what you seem to forget. I do not like their censorship, I do not like their shitty "intuitive" controllers that sacrifice functionality for retarded gimmick, and I do not like the fact that every system they release is dwarfed in power by the other consoles of that generation.

If they did not have these issues, I would be buying current-gen nintendo games.

If I had a personal vendetta with Nintendo however, I wouldn't be telling you this on an internet forum -- I'd be sending them anthrax in the mail.

Now I understand why MK1 had no blood...lol. That was a very interesting article though. It's funny because I grew up with Nintendo for most of my life, literally. SNES, GB Color, N64, GBA SP, Gamecube, Wii. My 1st non-Nintendo system was a PSP a few years ago, and then finally I got a 360.

Nintendo's "intuitive" controllers never really bothered me much. Although I'll admit I've never been a fan of them, they are certainly "different" and I prefer their more simple "classic" layouts (i.e. handhelds & older systems). They also really need to appeal to the hardcore fans a lot more often. No more kiddy shit and other senseless games, or at least severely tone it down. I want to see more Super Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Starfox, etc. Those franchises made Nintendo.

Rikuto, you do know Nintendo let Mad World be developed on their system. . as well as Killer 7, the No More Hero's titles, Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Silent Hill and the Call of Duty series (complete with Soap getting stabbed in the chest in MW2).

I'm not worried about them censoring DOA. . .what are they going to censor? Chicks with big cans? Isn't thats what most of you guys want anyway - a reduction in the breast game.

Nintendo is just going to ask TN to put waggle in it or touch to counter.

Again, doesn't effect my experience on 360 at all, its just a gimmick port that wont be touched by the hands that made Zack famous (Mine.)

congrats, i think you managed to name every single mature title that has ever graced the wii in the last six years. In fact if we backlog and count the resident evil remakes as well as 4, you may have just named all of the mature games on the gamecube as well.

By and large though, CoD isn't particularly gory, it's a generic FPS with a capacity to somewhat depress the player during the single player portion of the game. And that version of silent hill was pussified with non-violence. Your main character couldn't even die. Couldn't kill anything either, you just kept trying to run away and occasionally scare the boogiemen away with flares.

Meanwhile in Homecoming, Alex gets to choose whether to shoot his mother in the head and end her suffering or watch her get torn apart slowly by a machine Saw style.

Mature games don't sell well on the Wii - thats why there are only a hand full of them.

And sure, Silent Hill on Wii was sissified but Dead Rising and Mad World aren't, so where was big bad Reggie to tell them to tone it down?

Fact is that Nintendo would probably prefer if more M-rated games came to the Wii but they won't because of

A) sales skew to a younger demographic on the system.

B) Third Party games by and large don't sell well on the system.

So unless Nintendo decides they are going to try and start catering to their adult audience with something other than nostalgia M-rated games ain't getting no love on the Nitty platforms.

I mean seriously, anyone out there who was excited about smaller tits should be on their hands and knees begging god to expand development to the Wii-U and praying that Nintendo looks at the titties and makes TN scoop out some of the silicone.

I'd like to add 2 more M-rated titles to the list, although it's still small...Dead Space: Extraction, and House of The Dead 2 & 3. Oh yeah, and House of The Dead: Overkill. That's 3 more then. But I could not take that game seriously, comedy and zombies do not mix well in a game...but at least they finally put a black guy in the series lol.

Mature games don't sell well on the Wii - thats why there are only a hand full of them.

Catch 22 if you think about it.

Many mature gamers don't play on a Wii because it's known to lack mature games, so naturally the ones they do have don't sell as well. Releasing boatloads of garbage like Cooking Mama isn't helping to disprove that stigma either.

Not to mention they usually want a system that actually delivers power, a decent controller and a reliable internet performance.

But im noticing a theme here.

Nintendo likes zombies.

In fact, everyone likes zombies.

I think it's one of those things thats become so mainstream its considered acceptable to let your children murder them by the masses. Half the time they have green blood anyway.

I'm pretty sure I said exactly
Catch 22 if you think about it.

That exactly my point but to say that Nintendo doesn't allow these games to be published in all their gory glory isn't being honest.

MadWorld, No More Heros, Manhunt 2 and The Godfather have zero zombies.

Nintendo isn't going to censor DOA and thank god because. . . the titties. . .yeah. . .the titties.

The publisher doesn't have as much control in censoring, yes each has guideline requirements for software but none are related to graphic depictions of sex or violence. That's up to the ESRB, and the console manufacturers only requirements are that it not be an AO rated game or they won't certify it.

Everything else is up to the developer.

Now that I think about it Nintendo doesn't give a shit about anything that published on their platforms - Proof: DSI Store.

How many fucking versions of "My Notebook" do we need? Once they got past the primary color pallet they should have knocked it off but NOOO we absolutely HAD TO HAVE "My Notebook: Cobalt" and "My Notebook: Cool Metal."

Nintendo is about that paper Rikuto.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD