DOA5U Eliot impressions

Allan Paris

Zack has that and a little more.

Well go talk about that in the Zack forums that's what it is there for.

I haven't gotten the chance to sit and play with him yet but I like what I am hearing about him. After his Parry people can't just low hold out of his shit anymore. They actually have to play a real defense now or get fucked hard. His damage output is still golden I know that much. I should be able to get around playing him sooner or later. Probably after TFC.

U_C_A_F

Zack has that and a little more.

What does Zack have over Eliot? last time i check Zack doesn't have a sabaki that gives him 2hit cb setups, parries, super launcher throw, an i9 attack, NH lows that stun giving him a guaranteed launcher if not held, and high juggle damage with great wall carrying potential. plus he lost his force tech setups with his rapid low kick string. if anything Eliot is looking more solid than him right now

ScattereDreams

Yeah with low hold buff it may be easier to react with a throw or even go for a SDS mix with 66k or p+k. In addition to 4k works well against christie. I can play keep out well against her SS, same for Baymans tank roll.

With H+K you now have to do 9k for the guaranteed launcher but it's open/closed stance dependent. I don't it matter though if the opponent is already stunned, needs more testing

MasterHavik

Well go talk about that in the Zack forums that what it is there for.
all right then. you have a point.

What does Zack have over Eliot? last time i check Zack doesn't have a sabaki that gives him 2hit cb setups, parries, super launcher throw, an i9 attack, NH lows that stun giving him a guaranteed launcher if not held, and high juggle damage with great wall carrying potential. plus he lost his force tech setups with his rapid low kick string. if anything Eliot is looking more solid than him right now
out of respect of ap I'm just going to back out of this. i don't even play eliot. i just know how he works and have a friend that plays him.

DontForkWitMe

h+k in stun threshold guarantees 9k launch and is my go to attack on mid p/k hold happy opponents

also i must reiterate the 3kp post parry follow up. even if opponents start to catch on and start holding the p sitdown/bound after 3k; the string is heavily delay-able and eliot can simply do 3k(delay)p and connect during hold recovery... and thats not even mentioning he still has 9kk and the ability to bait holds into hi-counter super launcher opponents have to worry about. With all these options its understandable why he doesn't get guaranteed launchers from parry

David Gregg

With H+K you now have to do 9k for the guaranteed launcher but it's open/closed stance dependent. I don't it matter though if the opponent is already stunned, needs more testing

Finally! Could never figure out why it didn't always connect (when it's not in stun threshold) now I know why.

David Gregg

Some really nice fights between ScattereDreams and Rikuto. Like DontForkWitMe said, 3kp3kp is not very helpful against heavyweights. 0:11 (first vid) is a good example of a failed 3p + followup even when he had Rikuto against a wall (although that added bound is gold. :))

Last edited:

Belinea

So what is up with 8k? In this combo...
Lightweight: 9kk, 8p, 8k

...8k seems to be completely random on whether or not it will hit, regardless of open or closed stance.

edit: Oh no wait, I figured it out.

David Gregg

I know you said you figured it out but were you only getting 8k if there was a slight downward slope? That's the only way I got it.

Belinea

Yeah, it was a real stupid moment on my part. I didn't realise the reset position in Sakura was ever so slightly elevated. D'oh.

h+k in stun threshold guarantees 9k launch

It's not guaranteed, you can slow escape it. It's somewhat difficult to do in open stance, but it's definitely possible. On a similar note though, I've been having a lot of fun with h+k, 2k, 3kp, 1p+k CB. If they don't SE at all then it's a guaranteed CB.

David Gregg

what makes eliot good/bad in doa5u

I guess it all comes down to how you use him. Many people will pick him up for a couple of games, deem his moves too predictable with no obvious advantages and move on to the next character. It's true that he did lose some useful tools in 5 but he's still a viable character.

Just read what everyone said in this thread to get an idea of what he's gained/lost, but in addition to learning his mix-up game and utilizing his launcher (236T), the key to Eliot as DontForkWitMe said in another thread is his instant 3P. It's a great refloater, helps extend any combo, and annoys your opponents to no end :rolleyes: (remember it's not the same as (hold:3_:P). Many players (even Eliot mains) underestimate/forget/don't know the importance of i3P.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD