DOA5U: The score is in...

David Gregg

I know a score for a fighting game is meaningless but I still enjoy reading reviews. This one is from Famitsu who thought it was pretty decent:
Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate (9/9/8/8, 34 points): Not quite as innovative as a Puppeteer, perhaps, but according to Famitsu, the new DOA delivers on exactly what it promises. "There are new characters of course," Ebihara wrote, "but there's also team battles and a bunch of other modes, making for a surprising amount of volume. The Skill Info section from the PS Vita version, letting you check move data on a frame-by-frame basis, is also back, and in powered-up form no less."

"I like all the additional characters, stages, and costumes, not to mention the team battles that add a new type of fighting style to the game," Ashida said. "The fighting takes place at a frenetic pace, but once you understand the rock-scissors-paper balance between strikes, throws and holds, you'll be able to fight well enough. I like how you can also fight against people using the free-to-play version."

Can't wait!!!

1265648927_happy-dog-is-happy.gif

Last edited:

Blazeincarnated

I know a score for a fighting game is meaningless but I still enjoy reading reviews. This one is from Famitsu who thought it was pretty decent:
Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate (9/9/8/8, 34 points): Not quite as innovative as a Puppeteer, perhaps, but according to Famitsu, the new DOA delivers on exactly what it promises. "There are new characters of course," Ebihara wrote, "but there's also team battles and a bunch of other modes, making for a surprising amount of volume. The Skill Info section from the PS Vita version, letting you check move data on a frame-by-frame basis, is also back, and in powered-up form no less."

"I like all the additional characters, stages, and costumes, not to mention the team battles that add a new type of fighting style to the game," Ashida said. "The fighting takes place at a frenetic pace, but once you understand the rock-scissors-paper balance between strikes, throws and holds, you'll be able to fight well enough. I like how you can also fight against people using the free-to-play version."

Can't wait!!!

1265648927_happy-dog-is-happy.gif
Why did it go down 2 points?....... Fuck Famitsu.

David Gregg

Why did it go down 2 points?....... Fuck Famitsu.

This might be wrong but I think the way Famitsu works is that they have 4 reviewers who each submit a score. So it's not that there was a specific category where it was scored as less but just that 2 reviewers gave it an 8 this time instead of a 9.

Mystline

Bleh. I stopped caring for Famitsu reviews after they gave Final Fantasy XIII-2 a perfect score. But I imagine the scores for Ultimate to be around the same as DoA5. Maybe a little bit higher if the online aspect has been improved since I remember reviews complaining about it.

David Gregg

I wonder if Game Informer will actually give it a review or just a one line quote at the very end of the magazine with a 6.5/10 again which I'm guessing was based on a total of 10 minutes of playtime.

I remember actually reading the review online and them saying that the game is showing it's age since its mechanics really haven't changed and I remember thinking "If it's not broke don't fix it"?

David Gregg

Bleh. I stopped caring for Famitsu reviews after they gave Final Fantasy XIII-2 a perfect score. But I imagine the scores for Ultimate to be around the same as DoA5. Maybe a little bit higher if the online aspect has been improved since I remember reviews complaining about it.

lol when Nintendogs got a perfect score that's when I started questioning their scores.:eek:

Keved

This might be wrong but I think the way Famitsu works is that they have 4 reviewers who each submit a score. So it's not that there was a specific category where it was scored as less but just that 2 reviewers gave it an 8 this time instead of a 9.
I'm actually a fan of this reviewing system. I remember a PS2 magazine back in the day called P2 that used a similar reviewing system where four reviewers would give a brief summary of the game with each member giving a rating out of ten. They would then add the scores up & divide that total by four to give an overall score. For example;

Reviewer 1: 6/10

Reviewer 2: 8/10

Reviewer 3: 8/10

Reviewer 4: 10/10

The four scores tally to a total of 32 which you then divide that by four which gives you an overall review score of 8/10. If a game got scores which tallied to say 35, dividing that by four would give you a figure of 8.75, these guys discarded decimal points so with 8.75 being closest to 9 instead of 8, the final score would simply be a 9/10.

& that's the maths lesson for the day, now for homework tonight i want you all to turn to page eight in your text books & no looking at the answers at the back pages of your book because i will be quizzing you on how you got those answers. ;)

Anyway when it comes to reviews, nine times out of ten i will just trust my own instinct when it comes to games selection, i will still read the reviews for some guidance if I am unsure on a purchase but publications never have a final say on my buying decision. Having said that though if i were to use review sources, the four opinion method would be the one I'd find more approachable imo.

As for the Famitsu review here, this is a good score. This gen when a game gets a 7/10 these days it's usually already regarded as bargain bin filler, 7/10 being the new 4/10, so an 8.5 is pretty darn good. Regardless of whatever number is assigned to the text, most of us here won't give a shite anyway as come day one of release, we will all be over this game like seagulls to a dropped chip.

This is Hayabusa & Rachel's response to any reviewers score, good or bad.

http://imgflip.com/gifgenerator

Last edited:

David Gregg

As for the Famitsu review here, this is a good score. This gen when a game gets a 7/10 these days it's usually already regarded as bargain bin filler, 7/10 being the new 4/10, so an 8.5 is pretty darn good. Regardless of whatever number is assigned to the text, most of us here won't give a shite anyway as come day one of release, we will all be over this game like seagulls to a dropped chip.

Lol that we will, :) And yes I agree I think that's a decent score from Famitsu even if it slightly dropped.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I do not enjoy reading reviews... at least pertaining to DOA, and nobody should because I've yet to find one "professional" review for DOA5. The first thing they will mention are the powerblows? Why? Because they are flashy, do serious damage and any idiot in the Gamespot office could do it.

And Famitsu is just not a credible source for reviews, they gave nintendogs a perfect score, so that should give a you a good idea of whom they cater to.

The critics can keep their reviews until I see a review deep enough to satisfy my requirements.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
"It delivers on what it promises", does it?

Even a better netcode? One would think that'd be important enough of a draw to mention in a review to reassure the consumer this is a quality product nowadays...

I guess the rumors are true. Gaming journalism truly is dead.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
"It delivers on what it promises", does it?

Even a better netcode? One would think that'd be important enough of a draw to mention in a review to reassure the consumer this is a quality product nowadays...

I guess the rumors are true. Gaming journalism truly is dead.

It was never good to begin with. It was a source of advertising for games. The pathetic dimwits at EIDOS proved that.

I hope I will change that as I study Journalism, and write about games. :)

Rawbietussin

I think reviews feels pretty much biased for some reason. I mean, if they chose reviewers who aren't fond of fighting games or is not fond of this particular game, then it's bound to get a lower score.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
And what if Tengu is unlocked after all titles are unlocked in this one? Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?

Famitsu would give the game a perfect score then I'm sure.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD