News Emperor Cow Meets Tomonobu Itagaki!

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I tried to get a friend into DOA by way of core fighters, but since you require so much studying and memorizing numbers and frame data to understand things in DOA5, he just decided he'd rather not bother, because he couldn't even play casually without a ton of practice and study first

thats BS i know thats BS because i know next to NOTHING about frame data and i can still enjoy myself online and win almost half of my matches. i have a general idea of whats safe/unsafe and that's it. what you trully need to know starting DOA is your characters moves, CB and PB, and how and when to hold. once you have that down you can play online as much you want.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
thats BS i know thats BS because i know next to NOTHING about frame data and i can still enjoy myself online and win almost half of my matches. i have a general idea of whats safe/unsafe and that's it. what you trully need to know starting DOA is your characters moves, CB and PB, and how and when to hold. once you have that down you can play online as much you want.
Pretty much this. I'm a visual learner, so it's easy to know what moves are safe and unsafe just by looking at the actual match. Also, once people get the basics of their character's combos and CB strings, anyone can hold their own in DOA. That's what makes the game so accessible from the other 3D fighters.

Patrick Wimmer

Standard Donor
This was a really great read and you had some really good questions for the interview. Great job Emperor! :D

Kronin

This was definitely a great interview, props to both Emperor Cow for his initiative and Itagaki for granting his time! It was nice to see him argumenting on the matters and keeping a polite attitude for all the time. On a sidenote I liked the story behind the Valhalla's name and overall I really appreciated his words of interest for the Palestina' situation.

I can't say to agree with everything Itagaki said overall about the part of beginners not being able to play the game in a succesful way (I don't know basically anything of frames and I consider myself something more of a beginner but definitely far from a good player, again I'm perfectly able to win matches but overall to realize in a general way the reason because I'm winning or losing against my opponents), and the fanservice being included in DoA5 as reason for compensating this (people demanded it since the times of the Alpha demo, in memory of what DoAX2 offered and so assuming that it could be included even in the return of the fighting one because the distinction between the two series was misunderstood or never realized with the fame of the vollyeball spinoff sequel contaminating the main one).

His point of view as designer and the four pillars way to create the game is pretty interesting (actually I think to have already seen him mention something similar in the past), and can definitely works. By the way one thing is the theory and another the practice: with DoA4 this balance didn't work to a competitive level contrarily to what happened with the previous titles; the fame of the "more than sexy" DoAX2 was able to involve even the main one, and it's not rare to see young people/new gamers admit that they didn't know that DoA was a fighting game before the release of DoAD or DoA5.

Finally doesn't make to me much sense his distinction of the three series (NG, DOA and DOAX) as games for appealing respectively the requests of hardcore, "middle way" and casual players: I could understand if all of them were the same kind of game, but the three series are part of 3 genres completely different. I could care for one wishing to get a game of that kind casual or competitive, and didn't care at all for the others (for example I could wish for a competitive beat'em up and didn't care at all of an hack'n'slash or look for one very easy: in this case the DoA and NG as thought by Itagaki wouldn't be able to satisfy me, because before to look for a casual or hardcore game I could look to the kind of game). By the way I admit that I could have completely misunderstood his words about this point.

However I repeat that I'm glad to have heard his words on the DoA matter and I'm really curious to see if his Devil's Third will be able to improve from the demo version as Itagaki promised to do, really wishing that can be able to become a good and successful title able to bring back him in the gaming scene.

Last edited:

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Pop quiz, who has complained more about Doa's over the top ero ways. A. Series creator, founder, with a harassment under his belt Tomonobu Itagaki or B Glorious, famous sjw lobbyist Anita Sarkessian. The answer might surprise you!

What is the definite definition of a new player anyway?
Yours truly.

Whenever I play, it always feels new to me.

Einzelkind

As always Itagaki is highly entertaining, but boy, am I glad that he doesn't have anything to say over at Team Ninja anymore. Him leaving may have ruined Ninja Gaiden (though 2 wasn't all that great either), but with him in charge the Dead or Alive series would have probably died completely (from a competitive point of view) after what he did to DOA4. And since his view on fighting games and balancing haven't changed in the slightest, the series can only benefit from his absence in my opinion.

And I still can't understand how anyone can complain about DOA5's supposed over-sexualization when DOA Extreme exists. Itagaki can talk about how the spin-off was intended as a way to channel that aspect of the series into a different vessel all he wants. In the long run, Xtreme and especially Xtreme 2 did more harm to the game's reputation than some slutty DLC costumes. If I have to live with some fanservice for horny teenagers to get constant updates for the game and gameplay mechanics that at least make some sense for the most part, I'll gladly do so. Instead of whining about what other people think of the community, maybe we should just do our thing. Look where it got Smash. Two spots at EVO even though "it's not even a fighting game!!!1!!1".

Randzz

Thank you for this, quite informative. I definitely liked his take on the "casual vs pro gamer" stance, that's how I got into DoA4. Had I started off fresh on DoA5, I dunno.

squarewindow

Standard Donor
Thanks for this, Cow. I definitely have more respect for Itagaki than previously after reading some of this interview. It is clear that he is a very insightful game designer.

Unfortunately, I think Koei call the shots with the direction DOA5 and its subsequent iterations have taken as evidenced by the way they rinse all their franchises to the absolute maximum before going on to make a new game. I think multiple versions of the same game and years' worth of DLC is just going to be the future for DOA now that the parent company is Koei Tecmo. Money talks.

Dravidian

Well I thought it was a good interview and agreed with most of what he said aside from perhaps the "new players" thing, and even then it's only a slight disagreement.

And I really dont see how people essentially say "Itadaki ruined DOA4 so any new DOA he makes will suck". Lets all ignore the other DOA games he made and assume the man is incapable from learning from his mistakes. That mindset is no different from people wanting Iwata (of Nintendo) fired even though he was a major driving force for the DS, 3DS, and wii and has helped put the Wii U back on track to a successful future through amiibos, funding third party games, and a better development/release process.

This whole "if you fail, then give up" mindset people try so hard to enforce doesnt make sense to me. I mean would yall tell someone like Lopedo or Master to give up playing DOA if they failed to make top eight at a major or would you want and expect them to learn from their mistakes and go even harder the next time? Exactly. It's the same thing for developers.

Now I sure as heck dont believe Itadaki is perfect (I dont believe in human perfection) and understand that an Itadaki-backed DOA5 could fail.....but it could also be awesome or just alright. Making one meh/bad game doesn't mean that all following games will be bad.

Kohlrak

Itagaki impressed me with this interview, as if he's actually paying attention. He identified the issue that newcomers are having a hard time getting started. This was the first issue he tackled, before moving on to sexuality. Personally i'd wish to hear what he would have said about the issues facing Last Round (missing content, complaints on stage originality, lies about console capability, etc). The fact that he mentioned why he felt they were pushing the sexuality shows he's not as out of his tree as i initially assessed. His compliments on nintendo I agree with, but i felt they were a little overly generic and vague.

EDIT: His point was that you could spam and learn the game by gradually not spamming. This is NOT possible any more. And unless you have some good short term memory, simply looking at animations and remembering which attacks succeeded and failed is going to fail you miserably.

Princess Kasumi

He seem so sweet and really down to earth! I agree with him that this world is turned into hell.
It's a pity that devil's third is only on WiiU. I don't have money to buy one. One thing I totally disagree with him is the actual fighting system is much better.
Now to the one I fully agree with him is that he created the characters to fit in DOA, give them the perfect look, a personality and interesting story.

Hayashi should never have created Honoka, she is so unoriginal, doesn't even fit the DOA family. They didn't even balance her, she is so broken.

Hayashi did amazing with Marie Rose. Phase4 I don't mind her. Nyotengu I'd prefer the real tengu.

DOA6 should stay as a fighter game. Then add all the slutty costumes & soft breast motion into DOAX4.

MeadowSpirit

Entertaining interview, even though I disagree with almost everything that Itagaki said. I dropped the DOA series after it went Xbox-exclusive and I hadn't played it for over ten years when I picked up DOA5, so I was a complete scrub this time last year. I think I lost my first 20 to 25 matches online, and I was sure that I would never get the hang of this game, but I was wrong! My win percentage hovers around 50% now, and I don't even play that often, so the assertion that the learning curve on this game is too steep is just crap. Also, I always hated the anime mannequin look of the characters in previous DOA games, so the amazing new character models in DOA5 are part of what attracted me to this game, as well. I really don't see this game turning out as good or being as popular as it is if Itagaki had been at the helm. My two cents.

His Reverence

Papa Reverence, the Ayane Enthusiast.
Premium Donor
DOA is more popular than it has ever been. It is accessible to a broad audience and plenty more technical than it had been in the past. Yes, it is more erotic but it is not like the gameplay is taking a shaft. As long as people have a choice of whether or not they want to buy the DLC, it shouldn't be an issue. Honestly, it seems like the "4 pillars" that he spoke of have been built-upon and strengthened, if anything.

Coming from someone who had played all iterations of DOA, I will defend DOA5 as being the best in the series. I only hold 2 in higher regard solely because of nostalgia, but I recognize it as such.

I respect Itagaki and I am beyond thankful for him. That being said, his time is over and he ought to quit the complaining.

Number 13

Good interview. Don't agree with alot of his perspective. Still don't regret him not being involved with DoA anymore. NG on the otherhand....

Tones

Premium Donor
Itagaki can really carry a convo. Such a good interview. Nice work Cowman.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
DOA is more popular than it has ever been. It is accessible to a broad audience and plenty more technical than it had been in the past. Yes, it is more erotic but it is not like the gameplay is taking a shaft. As long as people have a choice of whether or not they want to buy the DLC, it shouldn't be an issue. Honestly, it seems like the "4 pillars" that he spoke of have been built-upon and strengthened, if anything.

Coming from someone who had played all iterations of DOA, I will defend DOA5 as being the best in the series. I only hold 2 in higher regard solely because of nostalgia, but I recognize it as such.

I respect Itagaki and I am beyond thankful for him. That being said, his time is over and he ought to quit the complaining.
Pretty much how I feel about this whole situation. Except I didn't play 4 because of the horror stories.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD