Establishing a new DOA scene.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Right now, I may be the only player in Tennessee looking to be competitive & yes I'm new to competition. However, I just got told by a church member of mine that has a key to an American Legion Hall that I could use the building anytime wanted as long as I didn't do anything crazy (like host a party where people drink etc). I planned on using it to help build a scene in Tennessee & put our state on the map, but the problem is that it's a small town.

Whereas Chattanooga is the city that always go to that's just 25 mins away from where I live & there's an area downtown that my uncle knows where maybe I could build around in that area & Chatt town players to play DOA5 or any other FG. Also, there's my college campus. I've been asking questions about putting together a tournament for an activity around campus.

Those who got to know me on here, facebook, Xbox live, PS network, & twitter know enough about me to know that I am a passionate fan of DOA, MK, & SF. Any fighting game for that matter. I need a few suggestions from you, the DOA community to help put Tennessee on the map. Sure enough, I'm gonna use the building Mrs.Powers told that I can use, but is that gonna draw ppl in? Should I start small from the Hall? Should push more on college campus? Should I keep searching a downtown aread building in Chatt? Should try to use all 3 if possible? Give some suggestions.

X_Fact0r

Does your college having a gaming club? That would be a good place to start with players that like to game. My old college's club was always in turmoil of what they played and what they liked so it started to spread out and more of the people I knew that liked to play fighters started coming to my old apartment to play.

If you can set up a casual session at your place or maybe something like my college did of renting rooms in the student union to play. Gradually move towards a monthly ranbat or mini tournament after people start showing up. Main thing you want to do is not intimidate them with having to learn too fast or anything. Try to make the new players feel comfortable learning the games/learning new strategies while having fun and wanting to return to keep leveling up. Once you get a feel for it, you can advertize the meetup but don't make it too big at first to handle and keep focused on your goal of growing your player base along with their level of play.

Hope that helps a little.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Thanks. College directors approved of it. They gotta a game room with a Xbox 360 & PS3. Just gotta keep pushing it in both my town & in the city. Hopefully I find an area downtown in Chattanooga where shit can really get crunk!

X_Fact0r

Just keep the players fresh for it. Don't let newer players feel that they can never catch up to the curve. College gaming club is a great start in the right direction and you should be able to slowly move towards more competitive settings like tournaments and such.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Yeah I'ma do a beginners' class & let them learn the game & an advanced for the ones who know the game well enough to compete. Wouldn't be right for me to just beat them when they don't know nothing about it ya know?

X_Fact0r

Good idea. The tournament should give more incentive for the advanced players while doing something smaller for the beginners to aim for. Good luck to you sir, maybe I might run into you on live to ask later.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD