Favorite Stages

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I've heard some players make mention that stages in Dead or Alive are just as important as a Character choice. For many players, they have some stages that instantly pop into their head as what makes them think of DOA. However, not everyone has the same favorites.

So, I'm curious what other players top five favorite stages are. Here's a place to provide your favorites, and talk about what you like for each.

I'll start with my personal Top 5, and it's tough to narrow it down to five; These are in no specific order:

1. DOA3 - Lorelei - Easily one of my most memorable from the intricate set design to the varying areas to fight on.
2. DOA3 - Forest - This still looks beautiful to this day, especially the slight mini-slopes, the crowded (walled) trees at the top of the level but the open spaced middle, and the water slip bottom certainly varied the terrain.
3. DOA2U - Dragon Hills - Starting on the top of a skyscraper with the ability to fall down to a sloped stair way and at any point also fall into the temple underneath containing a circular ring with a golden dragon was just amazing.
4. DOA2U - Demon's Church - You start off in a claustrophic bell tower with a ceiling through most of it, but if you manage to knock your opponent out through the beautiful pane glass then you fall into a wide open church with amazing wall decor.
5. DOA3 - X Octagon - A rather spacious but not too spacious tag stage that I believe is the only tag stage I know of that actually feels lively due to the animated crowd and reactions behind the electric fence.

I have many honorable mentions but felt I should at least put one tag stage in that top 5.

Keylay

I have a lot of favorites mostly form DOA2U but here are my top 5.

1. DOA2U - The Aerial Gardens - My favorite stage in the series and one of the most beautiful. You can select to play at night or on a cloudy day (and they had an evening sun option in DOA2: Hardcore). You start off on a platform with a ceiling and you could send the opponent down the waterfall an infinite number of times.
2. DOAD - The White Storm - They updated the stage from DOA2U and added a slope opposite of the drop to the ice cave that led to another tier with a couple trees.
3. DOAD - White Water Valley - They updated this stage from DOA4 and let you fall into a large pond of water and made a few more adjustments. I wish that the bottom of Flow (DOA5) looked like this instead of Primal.
4. DOA2U - Demon's Church - The bell acts as a ceiling and it probably has one of the coolest drops when you knock them out of the bell tower.
5. DOA2U - Koku An - I love the snow falling and the overall design.

MoneyspiderTodd

My favorite stages are;

Hayabusa Stage from DOA1 (Arcade version)
Tina Stage from DOA1 (PS1 version)
Bass Stage from DOA1 (PS1 version)
Kasumi Stage from DOA1 (PS1 version)
The Bridge in the middle of the jungle/forest of DOA4
The market front the beach in DOA4
The Ring of DOA4/5
The Beach of DOA5

synce

Basically everything from DOA3 and nothing from the other games lol I can't even pick my favorite 5, but definitely the snow, beach, and forest.

Blackula

1. Lorelei (DOA3) - Favorite stage of all time. It is such a beautiful stage. The one thing I like most about this stage is the dynamic of the stage. There are so many different places to fight in this stage.
2. Dragon Hills (DOA2U) - Same reasons as above but my second favorite stage.
3. The Demon's Church (DOA2U) - I love the details in this stage from the stain glassed window to the statues down below in the lower section.
4. The Burai Zenin (DOA2HC/U) - I love both the 2HC and the 2U versions of this stage. The 2HC version is set in sunshine while the 2U version is set during the rain.
5. The L's Castle (DOA2HC) - Such a wonderful stage that wasn't in all versions of DOA2.

Honorable Mention:

The Yozakura (DOA2U)
The Aerial Gardens (DOA2U)
The Koku An (DOA2U)
The Great Wall (DOA2U)
The Aquarium (DOA2U)
The Death Valley (DOA2HC)
The Spiral (DOA2HC)
The Blanca (DOA2HC)

Ice Cave (DOA3)
Lost World (DOA3)
Tao (DOA3)
Aqua Place (DOA3)
Azuchi (DOA3)
DOATEC HK (DOA3)

Kyoto In Bloom - Night (DOA4)
Seaside Market (DOA4)
DOATEC Great Hall (DOA4)
Temple On The Mountain (DOA4)

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
My Top 5 Stages are:
  • Ariel gardens (Doa2U) - Love the mixture of nature with the Chinese architecture.
  • Forrest/lost world (Doa3) - I love how organic and natural feeling it is. I am also amazed with the amount of strategic depth that is available within these stages.
  • Dragon Hills (Doa2U) - The architecture is simply amazing. It is for a better word...very sexy lol.
  • Great Wall (Doa2U) - Very grand and Did I say I love Architecture lol.
  • Doatec (Doa3) - Very urban, yet beautiful at the same time.

Jaguar360

• DOA3 Azuchi: Nice interior, great levels to knock other players to
  • DOA3 Lorelei: SO MANY LEVELS, beautiful design
  • DOAU Aquarium: very memorble, beautiful
  • DOAU Dragon Hills: again THE LEVELS, complex and nice design
  • DOA3 Forest: nice-looking, expansive, memorable

synce

Played some DOA3 tonight. Man the stages still hold up.

Hah I said the exact thing when I replayed DOA3 last year! That game is proof that you don't need the latest tech to make a pretty game, you just need talented artists. Sky City Tokyo is the prettiest stage in DOA5 so far, and of course it's designed by the old TN :rolleyes:

synce

I knew I wasn't being nostalgic, DOA3 really does have better looking stages than DOA5.

DOA3
Lost_World.jpg

DOA5
l_519c70f2130ad.jpg

These games are 10+ YEARS APART.

Kodachi

Standard Donor
Lorelei
130px-50%2C594%2C0%2C480-Deadoralive3_b2_790screen009.jpg

Great Opera
185px-DOAUThe_Great_Opera_2.jpg

Demon's church
185px-DOAUDemon%E2%80%99s_Church.jpg

Forest
130px-50%2C594%2C0%2C480-Deadoralive3_b2_790screen011.jpg

Kyoto in Bloom
130px-118%2C526%2C0%2C360-Kyoto.jpg

Temple on the mountain
130px-234%2C1049%2C0%2C720-Dead-or-alive-4-20050916070014150.jpg

Both Suspension bridge stages
130px-0%2C900%2C21%2C817-DOAUThe_Suspension_Bridge.jpg
130px-36%2C347%2C0%2C274-Jgoseigi.png

So many good stages, I hope too see some of them back in future games :')

Aven Kujo-Gin

I was thinking... Since we already have four characters from VF, wouldn´t be nice to have at least one stage from VF too? Like Statues(Akira stage) for example.

LostSkeleton73

Standard Donor
Demon's Church most definitely.
Temple on the Mountain
Outside of that, the market in DOA4. Ceiling, some space, and that fall to the beach.

legibifou

I knew I wasn't being nostalgic, DOA3 really does have better looking stages than DOA5.

DOA3
Lost_World.jpg

DOA5
l_519c70f2130ad.jpg

These games are 10+ YEARS APART.

Yes, it's huge to have old stages in DOA5 but the comparison with previous games is going to hurt... I still regret and don't understand how stages' graphisms and textures can be so poor compared to (very) old games. We really lost all the photorealism in DOA5. Maybe a lack of time? A lack of money? The new detailed characters demanding too much graphic resources? Mystery...
Anyway, back to the topic, my favorite stages are:
My favourite DOA stages:

DOA3: Forest, Lorelei, DOATEC HK.
DOAU:Crimson, Aerial gardens, Dragon Hills, Kokuan,Suspension bridge, White storm, Demon's church.
DOA4: Waterfall valley, Kyoto in bloom, Gamblers paradise, Seaside Market.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD