"Feeling disheartened? I'll make you cry some more." Christie Gameplay and Discussion Thread

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
All disscussions of Christie and her nerfs, buffs, setups and tactics go here.

Let me kick it off by saying that I think her wall game got a subtle buff as others have said. Her 4P+K GB against the wall was way more consistent when I was on the demo. What are your thoughts?

d3v

Right now, I feel like I'm mostly coasting along on character knowledge from the previous game. Got a lot of old habits I need to unlearn.

That said, I'm not feeling the 4K not launching nerf as much as I thought. People online mostly mash mid kick hold when they smell a launch so 9K has been getting a lot of mileage.

FakeSypha

I'm noticing how autopilot I played Christie on DOA5 the last years, lol. I miss things that guaranteed damage/launchers like limbo stuns from 66PP JAK K, (CH)6PP JAK K; or faint stun from P+K.
Other than that, 4T is gone. I loved those +10 (if I remember correctly) frame adv. to keep opponents in the loop.
4K no longer launching hurts a bit too.
(CH)1PK no longer launches too. It was a risky move, but since it crushed highs I used it as a panic button for Rig and other characters with lots of highs in his/her moveset.

Reactions: d3v

KawaiiShonen

New to DOA and trying to learn Christie... I memorized the most unique concepts and attacks, but it's still pretty difficult.
I am often unable to do anything against Helena, for example.
Using Christie's stance effectively is problematic for me, too. It doesn't seem to work in close combat or do much as a side-stepping...

And of course I have troubles with the general gameplay of DOA. I am terrible at blocking in any fighting game, but here you need to always distinguish the height of the attack.... I have no idea how I need to figure out which attack is high, low, kick or punch. Yeah, it's understandable in the training mode, but not in the actual battle. Not when you have each character being different and moving differently + having different suits and such. Not even mentioning that the game can distract you with its sexiness, too.

Another problem is holds and using them to cancel attacks. This is another thing I cannot stand in fighting games - I'd much rather use a different combo than cancel it in the middle and such.

From Christie's attacks I memorized the most unique ones, I think... but again, can't quit figure out how to use them effectively. It just seems to work when and only when my opponent sees them for the first few times.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Well when it comes to blocking in 3d games you block high and react to lows in most situations. When it comes to characters like Helena you keep your distance..She is not as fast as you on the draw and your pokes have more range than she does, whiff punishment is key. It seems like her jakheiho was nerfed by proxy because of how good the sidestep is now but most of her jak cancel combos still work from 5.

d3v

I like that 7K has follow ups. K follow up (side switch) has been getting a fair bit of use in juggles (2PP, then 7KK) since it does a fair bit of damage and doesn't knock back far. The P follow up however is annoying in how inconsistent it hits across the cast - only on certain combos, and only on lighter characters.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
I saw that too. Also her followup from BT P+K P is hella tight. It launches pretty high and allows for you to use some of her older Jak combos on lighter characters. It also seems like the string to use from her break blow unless I am doing it wrong. I dont really like the way that break blows are done here. theres a delay that more or less forces you to use a specific move to keep the stun going..unless I'm doing it wrong.

d3v

BT P+K P seems to be for lighter characters only, even in break blows. And yes, there is a slight delay, that makes it quite annoying.

EDIT: I've been getting the 4H+K into BT P+K P more consistently now. Seems you can actually wait a bit (compared to doing P strings) and it'll still launch.

Last edited:

d3v

Integrated a lot more of her new stuff into her juggles. Her new 236+P is a great combo ender after the ground bounce from H+KKK. Seems to do the most damage so far out all her options from ground bounce, even after BBCs. In fact, I'm might now switch my BBC string from 4H+K, P+KP, PKK8PP to just 9K, H+KKK, 236P since it seems to do the same damage (and I can't, for the life of me, get H+KKK to fully connect and ground bounce after 4H+K, P+KP).

Last edited:

d3v

The best part about launching with 9K/8K into H+KKK, is that it doesn't wall splat. This way, there's no wasting the BBC if you're at an odd angle to the wall, whereas 4H+K can end up bouncing them away from you.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Dont forget her (hold)3p launcher as well. People tend to get really hold happy when you are close to the max threshold.

d3v

So, after reaching the low 50s in the ranking table, and seeing Rojikku Reign's tier list video, I'd have to say that Christie needs a lot of help in this game.

Honestly, at the very least, I'd like to see them give us her old 4T back.

FakeSypha

1P is really good in this game. If you hit 1P on CH you get the follow up guaranteed. Doesn't work on HCH, though.
Well, it is a natural combo on CH indeed. But I wouldn't consider it a good move. I mean, it's a high crush tracking move with a follow up. It doesn't have a mixup. In neutral hit it doesn't combo, of course. It's also unsafe on neutral hit. The last kick is unsafe on block. And it's not that you can hit confirm the CH. So you have to commit doing the 1PK. If you catch you opponent doing a high, that's the reason you used the 1P to begin with, Christie gets a stun. That's it. I don't know, I find myself using more 2P or 2PP to high crush. The occational 1P helps if the opponent gets too sidestep happy.

I believe it was a better move in DOA5. It launched on counter and hi counter. Sure, it was holdeable but also deleyable as hell. People used to hold on reaction seeing the 1P connect on counter, thus the Christie player could bait the hold and throw punish, delay into extend the stun and launch, etc.

BeyondDesolated

So, after reaching the low 50s in the ranking table, and seeing Rojikku Reign's tier list video, I'd have to say that Christie needs a lot of help in this game.

Honestly, at the very least, I'd like to see them give us her old 4T back.
Why do you say this? Christie is still fast as ever, has pretty good stuns, a practical fatal stun in 214P, good crushes, a command sidestep that’s almost equally evasive, with actual deadly follow ups, +amazing wall pressure and good damage. Sure she doesn’t have the cheese she had in doa5, and that doesn’t make her a bad character. Just because she can’t mix your shit for a whole game, doesn’t diminish her viability.

d3v

Why do you say this? Christie is still fast as ever, has pretty good stuns, a practical fatal stun in 214P, good crushes, a command sidestep that’s almost equally evasive, with actual deadly follow ups, +amazing wall pressure and good damage. Sure she doesn’t have the cheese she had in doa5, and that doesn’t make her a bad character. Just because she can’t mix your shit for a whole game, doesn’t diminish her viability.
She's one of the character affected negatively by the buff in sidesteps, which compound all the nerfs given to her. There's a reason we don't see a lot of her in tournaments.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
I say its too soon to say for sure. Yes her deep dick stuns are gone and it seems way harder for her to inflict damage without a wall but I think people need to adapt a different mindset when playing her in 6. I try to play more of a whiff punishment game with her but its entirely possibly that I am doing it wrong.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD