Fighting Game community going PRO??? Is it worth it???

Tenren

Ok this is kinda long and may skip around a bit cuz I just typed what i was thinking as I went along. SO please bear in mind and read the whole thing. Its messy sorry.

Ok so if you haven't heard. Gootecks and a few others have been talking about the fighting game community going pro or getting majors sponsors such as MLG. In Gootecks interview with Slasher this past weekend he started " that the fighting game community is the underground of gaming while Shooters (COD) are mainstream". He goes on to state his opinion on how having the big sponsors is a good thing and more money for the players.

Now my view. Being DOA has been there and already done that and pretty much the only fighter to do so. Im 50/50 on the whole thing. The SRK or Capcom fans have never really been fans of the 3d fighters till recently. And still not really fans of DOA. So they may have not watched DOA and CGS. So let me do it this way.
Im going to try and break down the fighting game community a lil more here. I myself and for a lot of others have seen the SRK community as the group that most would like theirs to be. Large, a huge following for SF and still play all version of it 25 years later. Ive have always seen them as a more main stream fighter community-- then smaller community such as DOA and VF.

Ok so heres the deal. Since DOA has been played mainstream with sponsored players -some getting a lot of money out of it. Getting TV time. What do you guys thing about the whole thing? I loved how DOA got this but at the same time it seemed to hurt the community. Now granted DOA's community isn't as large as SRKs. So I could see it working out for them. But do you think it could hurt smaller community's within the Fighting game community, such as DOA,VF,Tekken,BlazBlue and others alike? If SF and MvC go pro and have major sponsors and Tv time and etc... Do you think it will draw attention away from the smaller community thus making the already small tourney smaller.

Tenren

i agree but do you think another league would work better? MLG has Tekken6 but no one is really playing it there.

Raansu

i agree but do you think another league would work better? MLG has Tekken6 but no one is really playing it there.

MLG works well with shooters, but I think fighting games are a bit more unique. The closest we will ever really get to "pro gaming" imo is the EVO tournaments which is slowly building up in that direction.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor

MLG doesn't work because not only does it throw the golden 2-out-of-3 rule people have been practising for years and does the 3-out-of-5 instead (which burns everyone out), but it's also pretty uptight and expects no swearing. People are okay to do that on Evo sometimes, but MLG just want to maintain the perfect image, but people hate that because it doesn't bode well with the arcade culture.

At least they let people drink which is always a plus. I heard some pretty hilarious stories about those from other T Players.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
MLG does not understand arcade culture yet. Thing is, I never got to play in arcades growing up. I was an online warrior. But when I did start going to tournaments I quickly learned that the energy the FG crowd puts out is just so fucking raw, so perfect... there is absolutely no way to compromise that, and to try to do that would kill the best thing it has going for it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD