Fighting Games + Life Mix-Ups

TakedaZX

Preface

It's hard for me to talk about this topic. The reason why lies within my lack of proper usage words and being less than knowledgeable on what I speak, but I wish to learn... regardless, enough about that.

This past weekend, I lived out my dream. Along with some friends of mine, we ventured out to Philly and competed at NEC XIII, my first major ever. I simply wanted to find out what it was all about and if I stood a chance against anyone... in reality... No I didn't. I played a lot of the well-known pros like Mr. Wah, Allan Paris, Blackburrychaos, and others. They completely bodied me and after being salty for getting knocked out of the tournament on my only two matches, I realized it might just not be for me...

But then I talked to Rikuto and after bringing up my problem with solidifying a character of choice, he said to me...

"Find one move, it could be anything, a grab, a strike, or just a hold animation. Take that move then build everything up around that." -Rikuto #DatWisdom

At first I thought, well yea that could work. I just thought it'd still take me some time though since that move originally was Hayate's low slide kick from his wind dash in Dead or Alive 4. So I gave it some time and decided on my move, and that my character would be Eliot and the move that pulled my attention... well... i'm not telling you!

That same night, I played BBoyDragon who is an extremely well rounded player with ridiculous amounts of "guaranteed" set ups. His mind games were out of this world, and by playing him, he taught me that I must force my own mind games on my opponent and nullify their own to stay in control. That became clearer and clearer, but I still need to work at it.

The next day I bodied a few people in casuals and I also held my own against his Hitomi finally. He still landed multiple "guaranteed" PB's on me. The deal is, they're only guaranteed when he does them. Lmao! Great matches with him.

Main Subject

So now... the real subject is... where can I go from here. There's multiple variables in the way of me taking competitive gaming seriously, and those variables are: College, Money, and my Mother not agreeing with my love for the game.

How do you deal with this all? Have some of you dropped the ideas of college, and gotten a some what manageable job to rely on, or just scrapping by? I mean I don't want to put anyone on blast but I want to know, how do YOU tie it into your life?

My mom would never agree to me doing this and I mean I feel that she'd love to hold over my head that she doesn't have to let me stay living with her if I don't want to listen which indeed would suck but I don't know if that would be enough deter me from wanting to play the game... So I don't know where to go with this... any advice for a such a situation... or just insight in general?

X_Fact0r

First question is can you afford to move out? It seems you are really driven right now, and if you can try to learn to compete, this is the time because it is a lot harder after getting a full time job to squeeze in session or get off to make it to all the tournaments. Your future is more important than fighting games, but I am assuming you can make this work in both ways. The job market is better now, but not worth it to drop college.

Have you tried to explain this to you or does she just hear two words and just diss the whole concept?

TakedaZX

First question is can you afford to move out? It seems you are really driven right now, and if you can try to learn to compete, this is the time because it is a lot harder after getting a full time job to squeeze in session or get off to make it to all the tournaments. Your future is more important than fighting games, but I am assuming you can make this work in both ways. The job market is better now, but not worth it to drop college.

Have you tried to explain this to you or does she just hear two words and just diss the whole concept?
I have. She just doesn't think I can handle it because of how hard it was for her in school and with the fact that I put a lot of work into DOA, staying up late because it's unhealthy.

It's like really not fair either because she says it's an addiction.... YEA it's an addiction because I LOVE competition. I love fighting games, and I fucking love DOA. What is wrong with that?

X_Fact0r

Hm, that is a tough place. Personally I could not wait to move out to let me start my own life. If you don't move out, all you can say to your mom is trust you that you can do both, and then back up your words and hope she will let you fulfill it.

Murakame

So I gave it some time and decided on my move, and that my character would be Eliot and the move that pulled my attention... well... i'm not telling you!​

I bet it was the 9 frame palm! or that palm in the throw juggle one of those two!! >:0

Anyway I'm kinda in the same boat as you. If i told my ma I wanted to go travel to play fighting games she'd look at me like -____________________-. So for now I'm just tryna do what I can in the local area and then once I finally move out and secure myself with a job and funds I'll start going to the major tournaments.

TakedaZX

I bet it was the 9 frame palm! or that palm in the throw juggle one of those two!! >:0

Anyway I'm kinda in the same boat as you. If i told my ma I wanted to go travel to play fighting games she'd look at me like -____________________-. So for now I'm just tryna do what I can in the local area and then once I finally move out and secure myself with a job and funds I'll start going to the major tournaments.
Totally bro. You got me.

But yea. I mean, I'm gunna do it regardless. I'm not going to pass this shit up because she thinks I can't handle it! I just don't want to push my luck and then not be able to do it at all. After classes are over for this semester, I'm going to every tournament possible til I go for my next semester.

Game Over

Not knowing much details on your current situation, my suggestion would be:

• Go to school part-time
  • Work part-time
  • Invest as much of your remaining spare as you choose into your chosen games/hobbies

This way, you're not extensively delaying the development of your future, you're not completely bumming off friends/family for money, and you're not putting so much time into any one thing that you don't have time for what you want to do. Maintaining a proper balance is key here, just as it is with pretty much anything else in the universe. Going to extremes in any one area usually only leads to burnout, mental breakdown, or just a bad life.

Justice

This is a real simple answer. I bet you're gonna kick yourself for not coming up with it on your own.

School will pay the bills. Gaming won't.

'nuff said.

TakedaZX

Not knowing much details on your current situation, my suggestion would be:

• Go to school part-time
  • Work part-time
  • Invest as much of your remaining spare as you choose into your chosen games/hobbies
This way, you're not extensively delaying the development of your future, you're not completely bumming off friends/family for money, and you're not putting so much time into any one thing that you don't have time for what you want to do. Maintaining a proper balance is key here, just as it is with pretty much anything else in the universe. Going to extremes in any one area usually only leads to burnout, mental breakdown, or just a bad life.
Seems legit. Idk, I gotta check this out more.

This is a real simple answer. I bet you're gonna kick yourself for not coming up with it on your own.

School will pay the bills. Gaming won't.

'nuff said.
That's common sense.

But apparently everyone else finds a balance. I want to know what that balance is because it seems unrealistic.

Justice

Seems legit. Idk, I gotta check this out more.

That's common sense.

But apparently everyone else finds a balance. I want to know what that balance is because it seems unrealistic.
That really comes down to you. You only get one go around in this world and it would be a shame to mess it up for any reason. Going to school and taking a part-time job (which you'll need to survive school anyway) so that you can save monies for tournaments is generally how it's done. You won't be able to go to every tournament, but you'll treasure the ones you do even more because of it.

Just set your priorities and keep your eye on the prize. The balance will come.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
As someone who ultimately made a lot of mistakes for the sake of gaming (DoA specifically, no less), I'm hoping I have something of a unique perspective for you to look at. I did not have familial support for gaming and I also did not have any sort of financial support from family after I turned 18. I moved out to make it on my own, focused nearly exclusively on gaming, and worked as much as I could at a pretty shitty job to fund my gaming.

There were a lot of benefits to that dedication, complete with getting to travel a lot, meet great people and friends that I still have to this day, and experience crazy shit that I never thought I would. I wouldn't be where I am today without DoA and its community and that is very literally true. That having been said, I got lucky as hell in the end and it usually wouldn't go that way.

So my best advice to you is to put a ton of focus into school and work. When you have extra money that doesn't need to go towards school or basic life needs, put it away. When you get enough, hit up some tournaments. Most people in the community, myself included, have no problem spotting players with cheap rooms at hotels, helping out with food if money is tight, or offering a spot in the car on the way to a tournament. Often, players in the FGC in general can make it to a tournament with nothing more than gas money and like $50 for the weekend. But if your gameplay has to suffer because you're focusing on school or work or family, so fucking be it. Once you get done with getting your early life in order and everything opens up for you, you can choose to dive all the way in then.

The short version is that the balance needs to shift heavily in favor of school and family with gaming off to the side. We're talking like 45/45/10 here.

Once school is done you can re-evaluate things but retain what you currently have as long as possible. Keep ties with the gaming community and you'll find you're able to head to tournaments you otherwise couldn't and keep your skills as sharp as possible through locals and online casuals.

That's my piece on it all. It was nice to briefly meet you at the tournament and we can always use more people showing up to tournaments. But show up when it enhances your life, not because it becomes your life.

N0rdicNinja

Have some of you dropped the ideas of college, and gotten a some what manageable job to rely on, or just scrapping by?​

If you do this I will kick you in the testicles.

No one is expecting a college student to hit up every major tournament across the country. Try to attend as many of the local tourneys as you can and save up for an event you have to travel for once or twice a year. Or, as already suggested, find a ride and pitch in gas money and split hotel costs with people. Perfectly within the realm of possibility.

Never forget life, you will have a very depressing existence if you disregard personal responsibilities in favor of the tournament scene. Unless you're in the top %1 of the competitive pool you're not going to be making a living off this, and even if you are in the top %1 you're certainly not going to make a living off of DoA right now.

Getting your life in order is far more important, any free time you do have we encourage you to join us at tournaments if it's within your means to do so! But if I see you at a tournament and find out you're failing or not attending college, I will be very upset.

d3v

I know a player who:
  • Quit his job
  • Took advantage of welfare
  • Started playing fighting games full time
  • Beat the Beast
  • Got sponsored
  • Got his own house with a couple of other players
  • Went around NorCal winning small tournaments to make up to $2000 a weekend
  • Won EVO
Sadly, not everyone can do this.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
No one is expecting a college student to hit up every major tournament across the country.​
I'm not too sure about that. Some people sure do like to put people on guilt trips and accuse them of lying about their situation anyway when the turnout for said tourney is low. Not stating any names, but it pisses me off when I see that unreasonable mess happen to an unfortunate individual.​

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I had this same talk with my fam too Takeda. We came to terms. I had to gain the trust from them. Just recently, I went to the GA FightClub & met up with Allan Paris. I had to prove that I was friends, put school as a big priority 1st, & remember what's important. The main thing was she (moms) didn't like the idea of me traveling way off. Even church members didn't. I had to convice them I had friends in this community (that I could trust) & that I was serious about playing. My pops said "Ok I'll take you." He knew already that I've always been into fighting games. What actually helped the cause more was when AP asked me to bring my PS3 & arrive early So I did).

The aftermath was I came in 5th, met up with people who knew me as well as I knew them & that pops watched me play causals & play in the tournament & told moms that "just about everbody in Atlanta at AP's house knew me & I was cool with them." So with that, they agreed to me traveling to at least 2 or 3 majors & locals with the money I have, as long as I can keep school as a main priority. Just gotta budget my paychecks now!

TakedaZX

If you do this I will kick you in the testicles.
Nooooooooo :c

No one is expecting a college student to hit up every major tournament across the country. Try to attend as many of the local tourneys as you can and save up for an event you have to travel for once or twice a year. Or, as already suggested, find a ride and pitch in gas money and split hotel costs with people. Perfectly within the realm of possibility.

Never forget life, you will have a very depressing existence if you disregard personal responsibilities in favor of the tournament scene. Unless you're in the top %1 of the competitive pool you're not going to be making a living off this, and even if you are in the top %1 you're certainly not going to make a living off of DoA right now.

Getting your life in order is far more important, any free time you do have we encourage you to join us at tournaments if it's within your means to do so! But if I see you at a tournament and find out you're failing or not attending college, I will be very upset.
I just missed so much of it in my life, I feel like by the time I'm like really clear to do something, it may be too late.

It happened for me in drumline at my high school. It happened for me learning how to talk to a girl in high school. I don't want to let something that matters to me pass me by again.

College isn't a challenge... but it's in the way of what I want is all I'm saying... and it's so damn important that it felt like there's no way around it, and there isn't. Life is just a bitch. As usual.

Thanks for the input though guys. Guess I'll just get back to what I've been doing.

d3v

Here's the thing, you can live on welfare checks for about a year. So, if you think that within that year, you can level and and get into the top echelons of the top played FGs and hopefully do something amazing (e.g. Filipino Champ beating Daigo in SFIV at SCR in 2009) so that you can get sponsored, then go ahead and do it. At that point, even if sponsorship money and appearance fees aren't enough, you can probably just go to small tournaments in your region an earn a quick thousand dollars in 1 weekend (Filipino Champ has confirmed that he can make at least this much doing so), even better if you have "allies" who you can split the pot with in case you don't win. If you can't do this however, stay in school.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Dude, don't skip college. Those were the 4 best years of my life. You can make life long friends and connections. Once you're out of the typical age range, 19-23, then it just becomes about studying. I'm only 28 and I still wish I could go back to the college days.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD