Final Fantasy Thread

Xernuht

Well, since your last post, we've mentioned Fang (FFXIII), Kain (FFIV), Caius (FFXIII-2), Prishe (FFXI) and Gilgamesh (FFV).

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Well, since your last post, we've mentioned Fang (FFXIII), Kain (FFIV), Caius (FFXIII-2), Prishe (FFXI) and Gilgamesh (FFV).

I know only Fang and Caius... :/

Square Enix just announced and showcased Squall and Bartz Klauser (never heard of him too) in Dissidia:

They are seen at 46:35 and 52:20. :)

UpSideDownGRUNT

Bartz is the protagonist in FFV.

Squall "Leon" Leonheart is more recognisable though being in Kingdom Hearts.

EDIT: Looks like the stages are directly based on the actual games, the stage they showed Bartz and Squall on was a part of Eden in Chapter 13 of FFXIII.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Yo, those effects on Squall's Gunblade are pretty sick. Attacks might have different particles on Critical Hit (Squall looks like he was pulling the trigger at 53:04 on those Back Hits). Looks like some commands were definitely overhauled (that one I mentioned was formerly a 7 hit combo with a different strike animation. Less gunshots and more slashing, I kinda like where they are going with him this time around).
HE CAN DRAW?!?!?! Does this make Squall immediately undesirable (lol)?
Looks like either the startup for that last HP attack has either been lengthened or it can be charged now.

It even looks like Breaks don't stop gameplay for the sake of not messing up the pace of battle even in Single battle. Neat addition.

Last edited:

Tempest

It looks like Bartz traded his Mime job for Freelancer. That or the Warriors of Cosmos have picked up an archer and a samurai.
I doubt they got rid of his job so maybe they added Rosa and Cyan? I think Rosa would make sense considering they're having support units now.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Lol tbf though FFVII is majourly flawed, when the game is so easy that grinding is not needed once or when it's so flawed that you can exploit the crap out of it then you have a problem... not to mention every character is unlikeable and dull, the only characters I can stand are Yuffie and Tifa.

Cloud is the worst of them all though, why everyone has such a huge boner for him I will never know. Zack was a much cooler and more fun of a charcter than Cloud ever could be, he's just a poser.

THEN there's VIII that has a system that lets you exploit it so you can pretty much one shot almost everything for a good majority of the game because it's leveling system is dumb and extremely flawed FFVIII is probably the worst FF I have ever played.

While I am neutral with those two games, I must remind you that FFVII and FFVIII was the pinnacle of an appropriate battle system and story of it's time. The reason why those two games were highly positive in reviews and RPG genre is that it provided the welcoming start of generation advanced RPG. Stuff that people didn't expect than your average medieval/magic/dragon RPGs. FFVII was the start of the time on the PS1 to which it was the game that made people experience RPG like never before as well as FFVIII. They haven't seen good news since FF4 and FF6 and it was refreshing for the players within that time era.

So I need to make a more technical sense to you here, do not take this as an offense but as a reminder: Your reasons to your dislike of the previous Final Fantasies is mostly opinion. The reason why I am not a super fan and neutral with FFVII was not because the game was bad (Which it wasn't, it was quite good.) it was because they continuously milk the game to the point that eventually, it will no longer feel the essence to how modern RPG felt back in the day. FFVIII was almost no different. My issue with FFVIII was that it had a bit of a serious side and the story sparks up really good but loses interest around end point, and the combat system was practically something new to think about if they ever wanted to use it (Minus the level gap with enemies leveling the same as you.) It was a rather good approach to make it not super hard nor super easy...but it significantly failed with stat bonuses on using magic to increase it dramatically to where you can 1-shot almost anything killing the game's fun (Not exactly 1-shot since max damage is 9999 but you can add stat bonuses to make you invincible to basically anything in the game.) If you think FFVII or FFVIII was bad, I mean shit...what games did you play back then and how did FFXIII match to any of those in the past? after completely finishing FFXIII all the way to LR and platinum both XIII-2 and LR..Lightning was no different than Cloud and her overall character was just the same. Cloud was your ordinary emo puppet who didn't have a goal until he was reminded that he is alive and took him 2 discs to finally realize he's out of his idiot shell, the game should of been Zack from the very beginning. Lightning was a small opposite to Cloud with included silent tantrums, acting way too hard in certain moments that make people cringe, and managed to get sequels to the game because we haven't seen a female main character in over 20 years since FF6 Terra Brandford.

I can go on but really...FFXIII was extremely linear. FFXIII-2 tried to take on the Chrono Trigger time idea but didn't bold well because the game lacked creativity and would be too large for that, and Lightning Returns was a game that you can easily beat within 1-2 days and finding a way to finish the game's story without making the fans feel disappointed from the previous FFXIII games...How is this role playing?

So now I await the ones that says "Lightning haters." I mean really, Lightning was no different than Cloud or Squall.

Cloud
Squall
Lightning

Look at the names, all weather related. All share the same trait. Nothing spectacular about any of them besides being a main character.

Last edited:

TheRealCoxinator

While I am neutral with those two games, I must remind you that FFVII and FFVIII was the pinnacle of an appropriate battle system and story of it's time. The reason why those two games were highly positive in reviews and RPG genre is that it provided the welcoming start of generation advanced RPG. Stuff that people didn't expect than your average medieval/magic/dragon RPGs. FFVII was the start of the time on the PS1 to which it was the game that made people experience RPG like never before as well as FFVIII.

So I need to make a more technical sense to you here, do not take this as an offense but as a reminder: Your reasons to your dislike of the previous Final Fantasies is mostly opinion. The reason why I am not a super fan and neutral of FFVII was not because the game was bad (Which it wasn't, it was extremely good.) it was because they continuously milk the game to the point that eventually, it will no longer feel the essence to how modern RPG felt back in the day. FFVIII was almost no different. My issue with FFVIII was it had a bit of a serious side and takes awhile for the story to spark up interest, and the combat system was practically something new to think about if they ever wanted to use it (Minus the level gap with enemies leveling the same as you.) It was a rather good approach to make it not super hard nor super easy...but it significantly failed with stat bonuses on using magic to increase it dramatically to where you can 1-shot almost anything killing the game's fun. If you think FFVII or FFVIII was bad, I mean shit...what games did you play back then and how did FFXIII match to any of those in the past? after completely finishing FFXIII all the way to LR and platinum both XIII-2 and LR..Lightning was no different than Cloud and her overall character was just the same. Cloud was your ordinary emo puppet who didn't have a goal until he was reminded that he is alive and took him 2 discs to finally realize he's out of his idiot shell, the game should of been Zack from the very beginning. Lightning was a small opposite to Cloud with included silent tantrums, acting way too hard in certain moments that make people cringe, and managed to get sequels to the game because we haven't seen a female main character in over 20 years since FF6 Terra Brandford.

I can go on but really...FFXIII was extremely linear. FFXIII-2 tried to take on the Chrono Trigger time idea but didn't bold well because the game lacked creativity and would be too large for that, and Lightning Returns was a game that you can easily beat within 1-2 days and finding a way to finish the game's story without making the fans feel disappointed from the previous games...How is this role playing?

So now I await the ones that says "Lightning haters." I mean really, Lightning was no than different Cloud or Squall.

Cloud
Squall
Lightning

Look at the names, all weather related. All share the same trait. Nothing spectacular about any of them besides being a main character.
giphy.gif

UpSideDownGRUNT

So I need to make a more technical sense to you here, do not take this as an offense but as a reminder: Your reasons to your dislike of the previous Final Fantasies is mostly opinion. The reason why I am not a super fan and neutral of FFVII was not because the game was bad (Which it wasn't, it was quite good.) it was because they continuously milk the game to the point that eventually, it will no longer feel the essence to how modern RPG felt back in the day. FFVIII was almost no different.

My issue with FFVIII was that it had a bit of a serious side and the story sparks up really good but loses interest around end point, and the combat system was practically something new to think about if they ever wanted to use it (Minus the level gap with enemies leveling the same as you.) It was a rather good approach to make it not super hard nor super easy...but it significantly failed with stat bonuses on using magic to increase it dramatically to where you can 1-shot almost anything killing the game's fun (Not exactly 1-shot since max damage is 9999 but you can add stat bonuses to make you invincible to basically anything in the game.) If you think FFVII or FFVIII was bad, I mean shit...what games did you play back then and how did FFXIII match to any of those in the past? after completely finishing FFXIII all the way to LR and platinum both XIII-2 and LR..Lightning was no different than Cloud and her overall character was just the same.

Cloud was your ordinary emo puppet who didn't have a goal until he was reminded that he is alive and took him 2 discs to finally realize he's out of his idiot shell, the game should of been Zack from the very beginning. Lightning was a small opposite to Cloud with included silent tantrums, acting way too hard in certain moments that make people cringe, and managed to get sequels to the game because we haven't seen a female main character in over 20 years since FF6 Terra Brandford.

I can go on but really...FFXIII was extremely linear. FFXIII-2 tried to take on the Chrono Trigger time idea but didn't bold well because the game lacked creativity and would be too large for that, and Lightning Returns was a game that you can easily beat within 1-2 days and finding a way to finish the game's story without making the fans feel disappointed from the previous games...How is this role playing?

So now I await the ones that says "Lightning haters." I mean really, Lightning was no than different Cloud or Squall.

Cloud
Squall
Lightning

The first FF I actually played was VII, and as a kid I thought it was amazing (I never got past Bombing Mission though) I played the first hour of VIII as a kid also and also loved it.
But I was like 7/8 when those games came out so I never really grasped how they actually played though.

From your post it sounds like you think I idolise FFXIII like nothing else I don't though and I have posted in this thread several times that upon replaying FFXIII after playing FFX again, LR and Persona 4 that FFXIII is total garbage and I can bearly even stand to even play it anymore.

FFVII/VIII might have been ground breaking back then but, everyone acts as if they're the best two games that ever existed but FFIX, FFVI and FFIV all completely blow them out of the water. FFVII was just so overhyped to the point when I actually got a chance to play it through and through (I did everything except Chocobo breeding and Ruby/Emerald Weapon) it was the most disappointing and anti climactic feeling I've experienced in a FF.

Also, I personally feel they should have ended with FFXIII, as much as I love LR to death because it's practically almost fully catered to my tastes they completely ruined Lightning as a character as a whole, in the original game she went from being this closet soldier girl that punched(or slapped) anyone who saw her have any emotion other than tsundere arm folding into an actual genuine and likable character (which unfortunately actually wasn't until like the last 10 hours or so).

In XIII-2 they almost completely reverted her back to the soldier girl and went full cycle with Lightning Returns where she is then literally just a puppet. I hated that so much, because as you said it started to remind me so much of Cloud. She was almost a polar opposite from him in XIII except being an Ex-Soldier and having similar design(in which the XIII director literally basically told Tetsuya to draw "female cloud").

So actually, you could even state I'm not a true Lightning fan because I actually dislike bitch soldier girl Lightning from dissidia 012, and unless she was being adorably tsundere like punching snow in the face(a personal fave of mine) I also genuinely disliked a fair portion of Chapter 1 - 3 FFXIII Lightning as well, then the full cycle puppet soldier girl Lightning in Lightning Returns probably the 2nd worst iteration of Lightning after dissidia 02, personality wise because they basically just made her Cloud with minor differences.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
From your post it sounds like you think I idolise FFXIII like nothing else I don't though and I have posted in this thread several times that upon replaying FFXIII after playing FFX again

I will admit, I "had" a feeling about you idolizing the game and expected the typical "I love my female character main characters <3 and want all my FF gamez to have female mainz for my waifuuss, no mor3 guyz, guyz are too borin" and dense to the situation..but from the looks of it, you are not and you are smarter than that so that's a good start and I apologize if you feel I assumed you do because I see it a lot here in the forums as well. Now do not get the wrong idea, I love female main characters and I had hoped they made a FF game to do that (But then it turned out to be this one and not what I expected it to be.) However, I am glad you played FFX as that one was good as well..but it suffered the milk this game syndrome..just on a lower scale of things.

Persona 4 that FFXIII is total garbage and I can bearly even stand to even play it anymore.

Persona 4 was really good. Myself and Forlorn Penguin talk about it almost all the time and even P3. Those were good. Yu, Yukiko, Kanji and Adachi are possibly my favorite characters in P4, while P3 is Shinji and Mitsuru.

FFVII/VIII might have been ground breaking back then but, everyone acts as if they're the best two games that ever existed but FFIX, FFVI and FFIV all completely blow them out of the water. FFVII was so overhyped.

You are correct, FFIX did better than FFVIII (Very slightly) but it did not quite eliminated FF7's success and it was on a temporary moment on it's release until moments later that people realized FFIX didn't provide the expectations that people wanted it to be. I am neutral with FFIX and I thought it was good too, my only issue is the length of the game. I found that one to be shorter than the previous two. I liked all three and do not have a favorite (Not yet)..but I can understand why there is more positive note to FFVII. I will tell you that even I find the FFVII fans demanding this game 24/7 to be rather absurd and tiresome to hear them squeal on how much they love FFVII and I agree with you on the overhype, I do believe it is rather too much...but they are not entirely wrong on why the game is extremely good. They just hit the jackpot and it worked. FFIV and FFVI was before FFVII so the history doesn't really amplify/beat it's success but rather the positive reviews they made to create more FF.

Now when it comes to the standpoint on how people feel which game is better, most of it just comes from a personal feel to the game and it's approach on how it attracts the player. The thing with FFVII is that it is like a diamond sphere. It is rough and has a huge rate of success to draw people in because of how much worked is done with the game, not too many scratches for bad things and the script providing sense (of course... then it started making less sense when they milk it out and created a movie for it, spin-off etc.) with the exception of the pre-sequel Crisis Core as they needed to fill out the gap on hidden plot holes in Cloud, Tifa, Zack and Sephiroth's life within Shinra.co and SOLDIER on how the events came to be. This was the most reasonable one. However games like Dirge of Cerberus was not needed and look how that turned out.

Also, I personally feel they should have ended with FFXIII

Yes, I agree with this.

------------------------------------------------------------

Tetsuya Nomura has a thing for this but he's not entirely all for the blame. Basically, things were a lot much more calm and positive when Squaresoft was around until the separation and creation of Square Enix came to be where you had one thing here that's really positive..but then the other thing here becomes a mess. Enix in a nutshell.

But if I had to pick one of my favorite games by Square in the past...it's this.

cross.jpg

Last edited:

Xernuht

I'm just going to go ahead and say it: I think FFXVI needs to have a high fantasy setting.

Ever since VI, we've been seeing science and Magitek overriding the old days of castles, swords, and sorcery. While it's not a bad thing per se, it's kind of boring seeing swords beat guns in an FF game these days.

I mean, I started playing Tales of Xillia 2 again, and that case of swords vs guns is still hype as fuck, but going to X/X-2 or the XIII series? Not so much.

I realize that Squenix is using the Bravely series as a secondary option for those like me, but it's not the same as having a game titled Final Fantasy XVI and having some badass knight drawing his blade on the cover. Maybe revisit the old 4 Warriors of Light setup of the old days, but fill it in with a more politically balanced story like XII (because XII had one of my favorite FF plots, hands down).

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD